Advertisers on AI

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    PithHelmet rules....mmm, content collapsing.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I can't figure out how the hell PithHelmet works. It's too complicated. I want something like OmniWeb.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

I can't figure out how the hell PithHelmet works. It's too complicated. I want something like OmniWeb.

or you know you could just use OmniWeb...8)
  • Reply 24 of 34
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    PithHelmet = Condom ?

• Reply 25 of 34
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

or you know you could just use OmniWeb...8)

too darn slow, but it looks nice
  • Reply 26 of 34
    mlnjrmlnjr Posts: 230member
    Just edit your hosts file so that ad server addresses are 0.0.0.0. With Safari blocking popups that I don't request, and with my hosts file customized, I don't see nearly any web advertising.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

Just like the computers we're all using.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    Well, it's a shame. I'm on a PC which I don't have permission to modify (aka change browsers) and so I have to suffer with the spazoid pop up freaky ad... (grrrr)
  • Reply 29 of 34
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

the new sneaky peeks are VERY nice... and fast... didnt you see my above post?
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Just curious: Did no one acknowledge my last post because after they read it, they thought, "Damn, why didn't I think of that?" or did they say, "WTF is he talking about?"

For the uninitiated, the easiest way to explain what I was talking about--just in case it's necessary--is that you can edit the Hosts file so that when the HTML source of a web page tells your browser of choice to go to an ad server's address to look for the ad, it goes to the address 0.0.0.0 instead. Since there's no server sitting at 0.0.0.0, there's no ad to load, so you don't see one. As an example, in the source for this page where I'm typing my message, I see this:

Code:

<a href="http://a.tribalfusion.com/>;

Well, my hosts file says that ad server can be found at 0.0.0.0, so whatever ad is supposed to be served to me from that server, I don't see it. Yes, you can set Safari to block pop-ups. Yes, you can set OmniWeb to effectively block ads. But this trick works for any browser in any OS.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    SNKPK 15 is fast!
  • Reply 32 of 34
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    What is a hosts file? I'd love to use your suggestion for blocking ads but I don't even know what you're talking about.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    In the pre-OS X days, the hosts file used to sit in the System folder, where it was plainly visible. Nowadays you need to have root privileges to have access to it. I confess I didn't doctor my own hosts file, but I replaced it with one that a friend of mine had doctored himself.

For a good explanation of what I'm talking about, you can go here:

Mac OS X Hosts File [macwrite.com]
  • Reply 34 of 34
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    This article at MacWrite is much more recent.

http://www.macwrite.com/criticalmass...sts-jaguar.php