Joe Rogan show returns to Apple Podcasts

Posted:
in iOS

Over 2,000 episodes of "The Joe Rogan Experience" are now available on Apple Podcasts as star ends exclusivity deal with Spotify.

Smartphone screen displaying The Joe Rogan Experience podcast on Apple Podcasts
"The Joe Rogan Experience" show, and its archive, is back on Apple Podcasts

Spotify reportedly paid Joe Rogan $200 million to move his show to the streaming platform as an exclusive, back in 2020. Now, days after announcing an end to that exclusivity, the show has returned to Apple Podcast with its entire archive.

Rogan's controversial show will remain on Spotify, but the star's new deal -- believed to be for $250 million -- allows it to be included on other platforms. Spotify has said that it will initially appear on both Apple Podcasts and YouTube.

The podcast is now officially back on @apple
We should be back on @youtube with full episodes in the coming weeks. Shoutout to @spotify for absolutely being the coolest and smartest people I've ever had the pleasure of being in partnership with. I'm very excited the podcast pic.twitter.com/lf9vpPtpLU

-- Joe Rogan (@joerogan)

It wasn't clear from the announcement whether Apple Podcasts would include the show's archive. However, as of this writing, more than 2,000 editions are available and the dates range across the three years Rogan was exclusive to Spotify.

"The Joe Rogan Experience" is chiefly controversial because it allegedly included misinformation about the coronavirus. Neil Young and other artists removed their music from Spotify as a consequence, and the firm apologized, but did not remove the misinformation.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    So what are Spotify paying $250m for exactly?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    neoncatneoncat Posts: 163member
    Respite said:
    They sell the ads that run in the podcasts, and built up the infrastructure to dod so far more aggressively than their competitors. Now that they have strong control over ad sales, there's little reason for exclusivity—if anything, broader distribution helps those efforts. 
    byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    AppleInsider said: "The Joe Rogan Experience" is chiefly controversial because it allegedly included misinformation about the coronavirus. Neil Young and other artists removed their music from Spotify as a consequence, and the firm apologized, but did not remove the misinformation. 
    LOL..."chiefly"? His show is a celebration of lunatic conspiracy theories. Rogan is one of those people that claims the moon landing was faked. 
    edited February 9 Graeme000danoxteejay2012williamlondonroundaboutnowjose8964watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    OferOfer Posts: 266unconfirmed, member
    AppleInsider said: "The Joe Rogan Experience" is chiefly controversial because it allegedly included misinformation about the coronavirus. Neil Young and other artists removed their music from Spotify as a consequence, and the firm apologized, but did not remove the misinformation. 
    LOL..."chiefly"? His show is a celebration of lunatic conspiracy theories. Rogan is one of those people that claims the moon landing was faked. 
    Yeah, it’s a sad sign of our culture in the US that he has such a huge and rabid following.
    edited February 9 Graeme000danoxwilliamlondonroundaboutnowjose8964watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Garbage in, garbage out. 
    danoxwilliamlondonroundaboutnowjose8964Oferwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,146member
    He was funny on News Radio
    Oferbyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    He makes money by promoting loony tune discussions and conspiracies. Hard pass for me but others find him entertaining. I think about how time listening to his 2000 episodes could instead be used for something much more worthwhile. Like vacuuming my car.

williamlondonroundaboutnowjose8964Oferbageljoeydewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Respite said:
    A subscriber base of morons, ignoramuses and bigots and an end to critical thinking, logic and civics.
    auxioroundaboutnowjose8964watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Garbage in, garbage out. 
    garbage out no matter what the input is

williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,539member
    AppleZulu said:
    That is true. I wish that’s all I knew of him.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    OferOfer Posts: 266unconfirmed, member
    AppleZulu said:
    And it was all downhill after that…
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Something’s definitely amiss when Stewart has to go back to The Daily, but Rogan’s fuckwittery gets free rein. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 13
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,146member
    Something’s definitely amiss when Stewart has to go back to The Daily, but Rogan’s fuckwittery gets free rein. 
    To be clear, Rogan was off Apple Podcasts not because Apple booted him over his idiocy, but because he'd signed an exclusive deal with Spotify and thus withheld his content from Apple's platform. In unrelated events, Jon Stewart was being paid by Apple to produce a show for AppleTV+, and that show was discontinued for undisclosed reasons. Could be about money, could be about something editorial. As I noted above, given Stewart's stated desire to create topical content leading up to the 2024 Presidential election, his existing AppleTV show would not have worked well as the vehicle for that objective. This is not because of editorial conflict, but because a dozen shows per year on a slow production schedule would be embarrassingly ineffective at addressing fast-moving current events.