Peloton abandons Apple's GymKit health data sharing platform

Posted:
in Apple Watch

Exercise firm Peloton has told its users that will no longer support Apple's GymKit health data sharing service on Apple Watch, and instead will move them to its own app.

Exercise firm Peloton is moving users to its own app instead of Apple's GymKit
Exercise firm Peloton is moving users to its own app instead of Apple's GymKit

In 2020, Peloton announced its then-new Bike+ would pair with the Apple Watch using Apple's GymKit platform. GymKit lets an Apple Watch gather health data from exercise machines, specifically cardio equipment.

Peloton also included it in its Bike Bootcamp, but that combined cardio with strength exercises. Later in 2021, Peloton removed GymKit support from Bike Bootcamp, saying Apple required it to.

Apple said at the time that mixed-focus workouts were not supported on Apple Watch. Instead, if a user wanted to change from a cardio workout to a strength training one, they would have to manually switch workouts within the Fitness app.

In 2022, Peloton launched its own Apple Watch app.

Now as spotted by The Verge, Peloton is transitioning its remaining GymKit users over to its Peloton One-Tap tracking app. The move will begin on February 27, 2024.

However, since new users have been being directed to use Peloton's app since 2022, it's unclear if many people are still on the old system. It appears to be the same story outside of Peloton, too, as few manufacturers have adopted GymKit, and then not on many of their machines.

Apple launched GymKit alongside watchOS 4.1 in October 2017. It appeared first in equipment at a gym in Australia, then one in London, before finally reaching the US in December 2017.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    GymKit is one of those technologies that I always have felt Apple didn’t push enough or advertise enough. A couple of years after GymKit was announced we were in the market for a treadmill for home use. The only company I could find that had products that integrated GymKit was TechnoGym. At the time the pricing was out of our budget, I think the lowest cost treadmill that TechnoGym offered with GymKit was around $14,000.

A few weeks ago I needed some new dumbbells and went to the local fitness supply store. For reference, I’ve been working part-time at a gym for 17 years and this is the store our gym uses to buy equipment. While I was there I was talking to the “sales guy” and asked if he knew if GymKit was available on replacement head units for the indoor cycle we have at home. He didn’t know what GymKit is. In his defense, they don’t carry TechnoGym, which, outside of Peloton, is the only manufacturer I’ve ever heard of that supported GymKit. But to me that’s ridiculous. How is it possible that a guy who works at a fitness supply store doesn’t know anything about GymKit when GymKit has been available for so long? That’s a failure on Apple’s part.

By the way, I’ve used GymKit enabled equipment a few times, usually at hotels, and it works well. If I use our home treadmill my watch doesn’t get the mileage as accurately as the treadmill does and the treadmill doesn’t get my heart rate/calorie burn as accurately as my watch does. Using GymKit resolves those issues and it’s really nice.
    ddawson100kurai_kagebakerzdosenStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 17
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    Is this the last gasp of a dying company?
    rob53kurai_kagedanox9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 17
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,253member
    mike1 said:
    I thought they had already died and forcing the use of a dying company’s app could be the final straw. 
    kurai_kage9secondkox2williamlondonlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 17
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,874member
    mike1 said:

Yes they are hoping for a white knight......
    9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 17
    omasouomasou Posts: 576member
    Must be taking a page out GM's playbook to alienate all their Apple users. 
    9secondkox2williamlondonlolliverappleinsideruserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Peleton is a phenomenal company. Their products (and services) are top-notch. 

I had read so many derogatory things. on forums about them by people who don't own their products and then one day I was in an AZ mall looking at the Lucid Air. As I walked out, I saw a Pelotonn store. Didn't even know they had retail stores. As a fitness buff, I decided "Why not?' and went inside just for the fun. of it. After trying out the bike and the. treadmill, I was impressed. The manager answered my questions with aplomb and it was quite shocking to see the quality of services on offer. Far better than the Apple or Nike offerings.

After that, I decided to always judge for myself and not what some agenda-riddled post, article, or whatever had to say. It's a lot like what Apple has to endure actually. How many doomsday news articles, TV shows, etc. have Apple had to put up with? I've lost count. Same with Peloton. 

They are the Apple of the fitness world, both in quality of product and service as well as with unjust criticism. Any company trying to succeed will get knocked down, but the get back up, learn from it, and get better. I think this describes not only Apple but Peloton as well. 

I never even heard of Peleton until some commercial came along where a beautiful woman was gifted a Peleton. Then the backlash-"oh my gosh! how dare they make it seem like that lady needs to exercise! How dare she be in that commercial, body shaming other women!" And on it went. As if exercise was a bad thing or inspiring others. to get healthy was morally repugnant. LOL

Back in the day, I was a WinTel guy, building computers for myself and everyone else and laughing at Apple all the way. I'd worked for HP, ATT, and Verizon, and thought Apple was crap. A joke. Then one day a friend of mine who was a pastor challenged me on a project, saying he wasn't even a "tech guy" and he could do what I was doing in half the time thanks to Apple's OS and software. In the end, my entire team was shocked. So. I bought a Mac to test. Fell in love with the thing and ditched the WinTel world, only coming back occasionally when a friend or client desperately needed it. If I had stayed listening to the news or tech pundits, I would never have discovered this vastly superior way of computing life.  

I feel it's the same with Peleton. Everywhere I turn, I hear something negative, but it's not substantiated. It's always, "Well, they had this disaster years ago" or "They're just the devil" or something along those lines. As if no other great company has had disasters or values that don't align with someone else. Heck, some of Apple's values boggle my mind, but it doesn't detract that they're the best at what they do. 

When I first saw this. article's headline, I thought "Bummer. Peleton is removing Apple Watch functionality. Then I saw that they. just using theirs. own Apple Watch app to overcome Apple's limitation on not beignn able to do mixed-focus workouts. It's fine. It's still on the Watch. It's just more theirs now and more capable than what Apple was offering. That's fine. Better even. As I do strength training and cardio together, it's baffling that Apple hasn't recognized this limitation and upgraded their app. 

Peleton is stepping up where Apple is uncharacteristically lagging with the Fitness+ limitations. 

This may end up a. double win for Peleton actually, considering the rumors that Apple wants to start selling exercise hardware. Peleton gets the added benefit of not feeding a competitor free R&D info. Win for customers and win for Peleton. Everything is great in the end.  
    edited February 13 Alex_Vmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 7 of 17
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,306member
    I’m not a Pelaton customer or user, but if they are abandoning GymKit now and aren’t spelling out why like they did last time, I would **CAREFULLY** review their privacy/user data policies before moving to their own app.

Yes, GymKit has underperformed in adoption among exercise companies, but once your health data is in the hands of a private company, you lose the security and privacy rules of Apple’s user data policies. I’m not saying they ARE collecting and selling user data, just that Pelaton is now free to do so.
    lollivercpsroappleinsideruserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 17
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    The only way I buy any fitness equipment is if I buy it outright and it’s fully functional without any sort of subscription.   Period. 
    danoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 17

I had read so many derogatory things. on forums about them by people who don't own their products and then one day I was in an AZ mall looking at the Lucid Air. As I walked out, I saw a Pelotonn store. Didn't even know they had retail stores. As a fitness buff, I decided "Why not?' and went inside just for the fun. of it. After trying out the bike and the. treadmill, I was impressed. The manager answered my questions with aplomb and it was quite shocking to see the quality of services on offer. Far better than the Apple or Nike offerings.

After that, I decided to always judge for myself and not what some agenda-riddled post, article, or whatever had to say. It's a lot like what Apple has to endure actually. How many doomsday news articles, TV shows, etc. have Apple had to put up with? I've lost count. Same with Peloton. 

They are the Apple of the fitness world, both in quality of product and service as well as with unjust criticism. Any company trying to succeed will get knocked down, but the get back up, learn from it, and get better. I think this describes not only Apple but Peloton as well. 

I never even heard of Peleton until some commercial came along where a beautiful woman was gifted a Peleton. Then the backlash-"oh my gosh! how dare they make it seem like that lady needs to exercise! How dare she be in that commercial, body shaming other women!" And on it went. As if exercise was a bad thing or inspiring others. to get healthy was morally repugnant. LOL

Back in the day, I was a WinTel guy, building computers for myself and everyone else and laughing at Apple all the way. I'd worked for HP, ATT, and Verizon, and thought Apple was crap. A joke. Then one day a friend of mine who was a pastor challenged me on a project, saying he wasn't even a "tech guy" and he could do what I was doing in half the time thanks to Apple's OS and software. In the end, my entire team was shocked. So. I bought a Mac to test. Fell in love with the thing and ditched the WinTel world, only coming back occasionally when a friend or client desperately needed it. If I had stayed listening to the news or tech pundits, I would never have discovered this vastly superior way of computing life.  

I feel it's the same with Peleton. Everywhere I turn, I hear something negative, but it's not substantiated. It's always, "Well, they had this disaster years ago" or "They're just the devil" or something along those lines. As if no other great company has had disasters or values that don't align with someone else. Heck, some of Apple's values boggle my mind, but it doesn't detract that they're the best at what they do. 

When I first saw this. article's headline, I thought "Bummer. Peleton is removing Apple Watch functionality. Then I saw that they. just using theirs. own Apple Watch app to overcome Apple's limitation on not beignn able to do mixed-focus workouts. It's fine. It's still on the Watch. It's just more theirs now and more capable than what Apple was offering. That's fine. Better even. As I do strength training and cardio together, it's baffling that Apple hasn't recognized this limitation and upgraded their app. 

Peleton is stepping up where Apple is uncharacteristically lagging with the Fitness+ limitations. 

This may end up a. double win for Peleton actually, considering the rumors that Apple wants to start selling exercise hardware. Peleton gets the added benefit of not feeding a competitor free R&D info. Win for customers and win for Peleton. Everything is great in the end.  

Peloton is now at 1.76 billion dollars if Apple added another billion dollars they are still under the magic 3.0 billion dollar mark for Apple?
    9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 17
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    There is no need of Apple to buy Peleton Danoz.  Where is the value add? Customer base? Things Apple can’t develop itself? Don’t think so.
    edited February 13 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 17

As a Peleton owner, it pains me to say this, but I'm not at all sure that it can remain in business. I don't know if you follow the company financially, but it's in fairly desperate financial straits. And despite a revolving door of new leaders with different plans for revitalizing the company, the death spiral continues apace. I don't disagree with your very positive comments about Peleton's products and its people--my experience has been the same. But I tend to think the explosive growth it experienced during the pandemic--followed by a collapse in growth as the pandemic ebbed--is what did it in. Peleton wasn't--and really couldn't have been--properly prepared for either event. 

As for what's next--I can't think of any company who'd buy them. The downward financial spiral, major layoffs, crashing stock price, changes in leadership and product recalls/QC issues have all served to damage the brand. Apple certainly doesn't need Peleton to enter the fitness hardware space if that's what it wants to do. And I'd argue that an all-new Apple Bike, Treadmill, etc. would have far more cachet, excitement and marketing appeal than a Peleton by Apple reboot. And since Apple Fitness already serves up fitness classes, it would simply need to beef up those offerings. 

Hey--I really hope Peleton can figure out how to survive, but I'm not very optimistic. Every turnaround plan thus far has failed. 
    9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 17
    GymKit is one of those technologies that I always have felt Apple didn’t push enough or advertise enough. A couple of years after GymKit was announced we were in the market for a treadmill for home use. The only company I could find that had products that integrated GymKit was TechnoGym. At the time the pricing was out of our budget, I think the lowest cost treadmill that TechnoGym offered with GymKit was around $14,000. [snip]
    I just wish Apple would pick one fitness manufacturer "for the rest of us" and do whatever it takes to get them to add GymKit across the board. I don't care if it's Nautilus or NordicTrack or Sole or Echelon or Xterra or... whatever (maybe even Horizon on the low end or Matrix on the higher end). Just make it so a decent piece of cardio equipment for not a ton of money - say starting around $1,000 -$1,500 or so - is available with GymKit.

It's crazy that this hasn't happened yet.
    StrangeDays9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 17
    entropys said:
    There is no need of Apple to buy Peleton Danoz.  Where is the value add? Customer base? Things Apple can’t develop itself? Don’t think so.
    I don't necessarily think that Apple should but I have to admit the price like the Beats acquisition is now right. 10 billion no but 1.76 billion hmm....

https://www.onepeloton.com/ A Apple Vision or iPad Pro screen in the future paired with a fitness device?

edited February 13 watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 17
    chasm said:
    I’m not a Pelaton customer or user, but if they are abandoning GymKit now and aren’t spelling out why like they did last time, I would **CAREFULLY** review their privacy/user data policies before moving to their own app.

Yes, GymKit has underperformed in adoption among exercise companies, but once your health data is in the hands of a private company, you lose the security and privacy rules of Apple’s user data policies. I’m not saying they ARE collecting and selling user data, just that Pelaton is now free to do so.
    It's literally spelled out in the article. Apple. GymKit can't do mixed workouts. You have to actually use another app to do another kind of workout. instead of keeping a flow. and data in one app. A limitation of Apple's GymKit. Peleton CAN do this. So they use their app. 

Althought my own opinion is that they also benefit from not giving Apple their customer data with all the rumors about Apple looking into providing gym hardware and thus becoming a competitor.,
    edited February 14
  • Reply 15 of 17
    entropys said:
    Actually Peleton's apps, instructors, and experiences put Apple's to shame. Fitness+ would be light years better if they. acquired Peleton.

but with this move, it looks. like Peloton wouldn't sell.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    charlesn said:

As a Peleton owner, it pains me to say this, but I'm not at all sure that it can remain in business. I don't know if you follow the company financially, but it's in fairly desperate financial straits. And despite a revolving door of new leaders with different plans for revitalizing the company, the death spiral continues apace. I don't disagree with your very positive comments about Peleton's products and its people--my experience has been the same. But I tend to think the explosive growth it experienced during the pandemic--followed by a collapse in growth as the pandemic ebbed--is what did it in. Peleton wasn't--and really couldn't have been--properly prepared for either event. 

As for what's next--I can't think of any company who'd buy them. The downward financial spiral, major layoffs, crashing stock price, changes in leadership and product recalls/QC issues have all served to damage the brand. Apple certainly doesn't need Peleton to enter the fitness hardware space if that's what it wants to do. And I'd argue that an all-new Apple Bike, Treadmill, etc. would have far more cachet, excitement and marketing appeal than a Peleton by Apple reboot. And since Apple Fitness already serves up fitness classes, it would simply need to beef up those offerings. 

Hey--I really hope Peleton can figure out how to survive, but I'm not very optimistic. Every turnaround plan thus far has failed. 
    That's what people said about Apple many times over. The reality is that they'll always have adversity to face. but all they need to do is keep making the best products and services. People historically get tired of crap, wise up and buy quality. It has been that way with Apple and it is that way with Peleton. They aren't going anywhere. There is a weird. media narrative against Peleton that makes things harder (also a parallel with Apple) but people aren't so suckered by big media anymore. 
  • Reply 17 of 17
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    charlesn said:

That's what people said about Apple many times over. The reality is that they'll always have adversity to face. but all they need to do is keep making the best products and services. People historically get tired of crap, wise up and buy quality. It has been that way with Apple and it is that way with Peleton. They aren't going anywhere. There is a weird. media narrative against Peleton that makes things harder (also a parallel with Apple) but people aren't so suckered by big media anymore. 

Because they haven't made a dime in years, if ever. They're burning cash,