New iBook Means New 12" PB?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Compare the specs and prices of the 14" iBook and the 12" PB. The new 14" iBook is bigger, faster and CHEAPER!!! I know its a G3 and I know that the video card isn't as good, but as a consumer it is a tough choice. Does this signal an upgrade is due for the 12" PB?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    xiaoxiao Posts: 1member
    How recently did they upgrade the iBook? Wow it's fast now, too bad it doesn't have a superdrive
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Honestly, I'd still rather have the G4 processor over the G3. In my experience, it makes a difference in OS X. That's one of the reasons I sold my iBook 500MHz, and bought a MDD 867DP. You can't really argue with the price of the iBook, however. Awesome deal. I also think I'd prefer the Radeon 7500 over the 420 Go.

-Dual 867
  • Reply 3 of 12
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Bigger? Still the same monitor resolution, so perhaps more battery life. The 12" PB was intended to be small.

Faster? I'm sure the G4/867 will outperform a G3/900 at non-altivec tasks (and then there are altivec tasks). And, uh, video card not as good.

Then there is the case/keyboard/speakers/appearance difference.

I think the current 12" PB is only on its first third of its life.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Don't forget the PB does allow dual display
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Here's why I think it's not so clear cut:

1. I think that a 900 G3 is as good if not better than a 867 G4 at non-Altivec (ie. most) applications and the "public" certainly won't see much difference.

2. Even at the same resolution, 14" is bigger. I would rather have a larger screen than a smaller one at the same resolution.

3. There appears to be some debate between the ATI and Nvidia video cards.

The kicker is the iBook is $300 less expensive.

In order to keep the iBook from canabalizing the 12" PB Apple may have to update the PB.

What are your thoughts?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

Don't forget the PB does allow dual display

Not only that but you can run it with the clamshell closed. Can't do that with the iBook.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    ...And they were just released. I think the PB12 will stay the way it is for some time to come. It's an impressive machine just like that. We'll have to see how customers react to a "faster" iBook.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    It's because the PBs are all going to become 970s by end of summer.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    aaronsaarons Posts: 31member
    The 12" PB didn't start shipping until Feb correct? And you're expecting an update in May? Seems a little too soon for an update...

as
  • Reply 10 of 12
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    Well I believe that the PBs and the PMs will be updated around the same time to the 970.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    this sort of logic is pretty goofy, guys.

33 mhz bump on an inferior chip isn't going to make the 12" powerbooks need a bump. Remember when the iBook SE (Graphite) was at 466 mhz with the SAME CHIP as the 400/500 mhz Pismos?

The original 500 mhz iBook and the 400/500 TiBooks?

Incremental bumps of this sort mean next to nothing.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Ok, but next week you have about $1800 to blow on toys. Do you buy an 12" PB or a new 14" iBook and a new iPod?

That's the problem with the 12" PB with it's current specs and why it will have to upgraded sooner rather than later.