EU backs down, won't force Apple to open iMessage to rivals

Posted:
in iOS edited February 13

The European Union has accepted Apple's argument that iMessage isn't used enough to require that it be interoperable with third-party messaging services.

Apple's iMessage
Apple's iMessage
In 2022

, the EU passed its Digital Markets Act, which sets certain constraints on what it defines as "gatekeeper" keeper services. These included App Store and also messaging services, and initially Apple confirmed that its iMessage qualified for the EU's definition.

Apple later walked that back, however, and argued that iMessage specifically in Europe was too little used to meet the EU's threshold for gatekeeper status. In September 2023, both Apple's iMessage and Microsoft's Bing were given a reprieve while the firms' arguments were heard.

Now the EU has announced that it has closed the investigation into both of these services.

"In its decision of 5 September 2023," says the European Commission's daily news report, "the Commission considered that the rebuttal requests made by Apple and Microsoft deserved an in-depth analysis."

"Following a thorough assessment of all arguments, taking into account input by relevant stakeholders, and after hearing the Digital Markets Advisory Committee," it continues, "the Commission found that iMessage, Bing, Edge and Microsoft Advertising do not qualify as gatekeeper services."

Consequently, the Digital Markets Act does not apple to iMessage. That means it will not be required to allow users of third-party messaging rives to exchange messages, send files or make video calls across different apps.

Apple will add RCS support to iMessage
Apple will add RCS support to iMessage

Instead, iMessage can continue to run exclusively on Apple devices, and retain its sometimes divisive blue and green text bubbles.

The EU's new ruling is unlikely, however, to change the fact that Apple has now announced its iMessage will support RCS later in 2024. RCS is a standard messaging protocol that Google has repeatedly pressed Apple to adopt.

The European Union's position

The EU had initially established that iMessage, and the other services, had "met the quantitative thresholds" as defined in the Digital Markets Act. However, it says that Apple's "rebuttal arguments" gave an explanation for "why despite meeting the quantitative thresholds, these four core platform services should not, in their view, qualify as gateways."

As yet the European Commission has not detailed those rebuttal arguments regarding iMessage. It says that "non-confidential versions of the decisions" will be published.

"The Commission will continue to monitor the developments on the market with respect to these services, should any substantial changes arise," it continues. "The decisions do not affect in any way the designation of Apple and Microsoft as gatekeepers on 5 September 2023 as regards their other core platform services."

Those other core platform services include the App Store, where Apple has ultimately been unsuccessful in arguing against the EU's ruling.

In that case, Apple's argument centred on a claim that it does not operate one App Store that qualifies as a gatekeeper, it instead runs five separate ones that do not. Those separate stores were for the iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple TV, and Apple Watch, which were all live at the time of the EU's original ruling.

Apple had already announced a sixth store for the Apple Vision Pro, but it didn't go live until the headset was launched.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,307member
    Nice to see a sign of fair due process working in the EU.
    rob53chasmbala1234sphericlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Even a broken clock is correct twice a day.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 22
    olsols Posts: 50member
    Good news for google I guess…
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 22
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,306member
    Apple and Google adopting the (improved) future RCS standard will be great news for everyone, since it will improve security when Apple and Android devices “talk” as well as bringing media sharing up to par across platforms and apps. Hopefully WhatsApp and others will adopt it as well, as seems likely.

I predict that Android users’ messages will still be an unattractive colour on iMessage, but at least for once they’ll be safe and we won’t have to worry about what info we’re sending those people. :smile: 
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 22
    chasm said:
    Apple and Google adopting the (improved) future RCS standard will be great news for everyone, since it will improve security when Apple and Android devices “talk” as well as bringing media sharing up to par across platforms and apps. Hopefully WhatsApp and others will adopt it as well, as seems likely.

I predict that Android users’ messages will still be an unattractive colour on iMessage, but at least for once they’ll be safe and we won’t have to worry about what info we’re sending those people. :smile: 

I don't think encryption part of what Apple promised at least initially...
    lollivercitpeks
  • Reply 6 of 22
    And of course they leave the door open to intrude in the future. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Missed opportunity to create cross platform compatibility. Why I still can only send sms to non-Apple users is a mystery to me. As a user I want to send messages including attachments, to all platforms. In this sense, Apple is not customer centric at all.
    edited February 14 williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 22
    bala1234 said:
    chasm said:

I don't think encryption part of what Apple promised at least initially...

Apple said that it would be implementing RCS based on the GSMA's standards, and working with it (not Google) to add encryption to the standard.

Not using Google's extension, which, as it stands, is how it's being achieved.

So, unless some deal gets hashed out, whereby the GSMA adopts Google's extension as part of the standard, or Google adopts whatever the GSMA and Apple cook up (no pun intended), it will be only be a partial "win" for all those clamoring for Apple to adopt RCS.

It may bring the other features, but not encryption, and Apple has said that RCS bubbles will still not be blue, for those who care about that kind of idiocy.
    edited February 14 bala1234watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 22
    "Strategic retreat" is all I can think of here.

They'll be back with something even more onerous and intrusive shortly.
    williamlondon9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 22
    citpeks said:

Apple said that it would be implementing RCS based on the GSMA's standards, and working with it (not Google) to add encryption to the standard.

Not using Google's extension, which, as it stands, is how it's being achieved.

To be fair I don't think the lack of a standard is on account of a lack of effort by google. Its just how the carriers operate. But Apple has had better luck in pushing the carriers than Google so I am hopeful!
    edited February 14 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 22
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    dutchlord said:
    Missed opportunity to create cross platform compatibility. Why I still can only send sms to non-Apple users is a mystery to me. As a user I want to send messages including attachments, to all platforms. In this sense, Apple is not customer centric at all.
    I can't send messages including attachments from WhatsApp to Signal or to Telegram, either. 

Apple included MMS messaging that does exactly what you want, but most providers no longer support it (and when they did, they charged like 0.39€/message). 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 22
    dutchlord said:
    You can do that within third-party apps today. 

But what you can’t do is expect e2e encryption to work without a coordinated service & equipment between vendors. Current the Google-proprietary RCS spec doesn’t include that, making it not much better than plain ole SMS & MMS. Apple said when RCS gets non-proprietary support they would implement it. 
    edited February 14 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 22
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,053member
    dutchlord said:
    You can do that within third-party apps today. 

But what you can’t do is expect e2e encryption to work without a coordinated service & equipment between vendors. Current the Google-proprietary RCS spec doesn’t include that, making it not much better than plain ole SMS & MMS. Apple said when RCS gets non-proprietary support they would implement it. 

It's currently .......... Universal (GSMA) RCS spec ...... that doesn't include that (E2EE). Universal RCS is the Telecoms GSMA version of RCS. Which dates back to around 2008 and was suppose to replace SMS. It's Google proprietary RCS that does include E2EE. And it involves the coordinate service and equipment between vendors. Only Google is doing the coordinating and the equipment is own and control by Google.

In order for the Telecoms to have E2EE between each other RCS messaging services, they must use Google proprietary RCS and must host their messaging service on Jibe Mobile servers. Jibe Mobile is own by Google. Plus in order to send and receive RCS with E2EE on any Android mobile phone, Google Messages must be set as the default messaging service. In fact, only Google Messages (and Samsung Messages through an exclusive deal with Google), can receive and send RCS messages with E2EE.  For now, Google has not made Google RCS messaging available for any other  third party Android messaging services.

This means that when an Apple device users sends a RCS messages to  Android users, the messages will not have E2EE because Apple is not going to host their iMessage on Google Jibe Mobile servers. Plus for now, only Google Messages and Samsung Messages can receive and send RCS messages. And only if RCS is turned on. Otherwise the messages will still default to SMS. SMS is still the telecoms standard messaging service.

And since RCS messages will not have E2EE, when sending and  receiving with iMessage, the message will still be in a "green bubble". The "green bubble" do not mean Android. When Apple first used the "green bubble", it also included messages from BlackBerry, Microsoft and Nokia Symbian phones and means the message is not encrypted. Back then, this applied to SMS. And even now, If one uses an iPhone to send an SMS message to another iPhone user and that user opens the message with iMessage, the message will be in a "green bubble", even though the message was not sent from an Android phone.
    edited February 15 watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 22
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    So I've read an interesting perspective on Apple and RCS this morning, courtesy of Gruber and PED. 

While many here assume Apple's announcement of RCS coming to iMessage was in response to the EU's DMA, it might actually be due to China. Unlike European regulators who Apple feels free to argue with or if need be "maliciously comply", China is in the process of mandating RCS (without encryption for obvious reasons) despite Apple's preferences.They are a government that when they tell Apple to jump it's only a question of how high. There is no such thing as malicious compliance with China's mandates.

Without integrating RCS, Apple would be banned from China's smartphone market sometime later this year. It wasn't because of the EU if Gruber's sources are to be believed. Further, if those sources are correct I would not hold out hope for E2EE coming to the service with iMessage either even if it makes it into the standard. China requires source code be submitted for inspection in order to "ensure the security and privacy" of the algorithms used before that encryption method is permitted in the country.
    edited February 17 muthuk_vanalingamspheric
  • Reply 15 of 22
    gatorguy said:
    So I've read an interesting perspective on Apple and RCS this morning, courtesy of Gruber and PED. 

While many here assume Apple's announcement of RCS coming to iMessage was in response to the EU's DMA, it might actually be due to China. Unlike European regulators who Apple feels free to argue with or if need be "maliciously comply", China is in the process of mandating RCS (without encryption for obvious reasons) despite Apple's preferences.They are a government that when they tell Apple to jump it's only a question of how high. There is no such thing as malicious compliance with China's mandates.

Without integrating RCS, Apple would be banned from China's smartphone market sometime later this year. It wasn't because of the EU if Gruber's sources are to be believed. Further, if those sources are correct I would not hold out hope for E2EE coming to the service with iMessage either even if it makes it into the standard. China requires source code be submitted for inspection in order to "ensure the security and privacy" of the algorithms used before that encryption method is permitted in the country.

It's not any government that will dictate whether Apple have to adopt RCS. it going to be the telecoms that will force Apple to adopt RCS. Just like how every mobile phone can send and receive SMS because the telecoms requires it and their mobile customers don't have to install any special software or app, in order to use SMS. If Apple did not adopt SMS within their  Apple Messages and set it as the default SMS client on iPhones, the telecoms would had loaded their own SMS client on to the iPhone or otherwise not support iPhones with their mobile network.

In China, it's not so much the government that will force Apple to adopt RCS (in China), but China mobile carriers. China' Mobile, China Unicom and China Telecom control 100% of the mobile carrier networks in China but (and a big but) they are all state owned and controlled. It not the China government that will be forcing Apple to adopt RCS. The China government is forcing the mobile carriers they own and control, to support RCS. And in turn, these mobile carriers will be forcing Apple to adopt RCS or otherwise they will install their own RCS client on iOS. Just like how it was done with SMS.

>China has 03 major mobile network operators, which are China Mobile, China Unicom and China Telecom. All of them are state owned and controlled. China Mobile is the largest mobile operator in the world with about 920 million clients and about 60% market share, China Unicom 20% and China Telecom 20%. <

Here in the US and in the EU, the government only regulates the telecoms. And so far neither government have forced the telecoms to adopt RCS within their networks. Not even the EU DMA is forcing Apple to adopt RCS. But the telecoms in the US and EU .... can. In the US, the three telecoms that control over 90% of the mobile networks, ATT, Verizon and T-Mobile have already adopted RCS. It was only a matter of time that Apple would have to adopted RCS (to appease the telecoms, not the government) and it would have nothing to do with any government concern about anti-competition or anti-trust. An iPhone that don't have the support of the mobile carriers .... is just an iPod Touch.

BTW- RCS is coming to Apple Messages, not iMessage. The same way Apple Messages handles SMS, it will handle RCS (with no E2EE for now). iPhone users are not required to turn on iMessage, in order to send and receive messages from Android mobile device users or Apple device users. Apple Messages will handle messaging without iMessage. Apple iMessage will not be adopting RCS. If it did, then it would be possible for E2EE (with RCS). RCS is inferior to iMessage but superior to SMS. iMessage will just default to RCS or SMS, when messaging devices other than Apple devices or Apple devices that have iMessage turned off. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messages_(Apple)

• Reply 16 of 22
    davidw said:
    gatorguy said:

It's not any government that will dictate whether Apple have to adopt RCS...
    The proposed regulation requires new 5G devices to support RCS (locally called 5G messaging) to get certification. https://www.reddit.com/r/UniversalProfile/comments/153rrwl/chinas_proposed_regulation_could_force_apple_to/
    edited February 18 spheric
  • Reply 17 of 22
    gatorguy said:
    davidw said:
    gatorguy said:

The proposed regulation requires new 5G devices to support RCS (locally called 5G messaging) to get certification. https://www.reddit.com/r/UniversalProfile/comments/153rrwl/chinas_proposed_regulation_could_force_apple_to/

That is not the same as forcing Apple to support RCS  by opening up iMessage or Apple Messages. Apple could satisfy the RCS requirement by letting the carrier install their own RCS client in iOS. The same as what the telecoms did with SMS. But I'm sure Apple would rather develop their own RCS client. Just like how Google would much rather have all Android mobile phone vendors use Google Messages as the default and only RCS client on Android phones. And this being China, it may very well be that Apple will be require to install a third party RCS client to support "5G messaging", as adopting RCS with in their own Apple Messages, might not get certified. This way, the China government, like Google, will have full control of RCS messaging (in China).

edited February 19
  • Reply 18 of 22
    davidw said:
    gatorguy said:
    davidw said:
    gatorguy said:

That is not the same as forcing Apple to support RCS  by opening up iMessage or Apple Messages. Apple could satisfy the RCS requirement by letting the carrier install their own RCS client in iOS.

But I'm sure Apple would rather develop their own RCS client. Just like how Google would much rather have all Android mobile phone vendors use Google Messages as the default and only RCS client on Android phones.

This way, the China government, like Google, will have full control of RCS messaging (in China).

They could not since it's the iPhone model itself that needs certification.

By the way, Google does not offer Google Messages in China, nor any other Google Android services. They have no control over what phone manufacturers there do with the OS or even try to. So why did you make such a weird atempt at obfuscation with half your comment about Google and Android?

I can guess why. 
    edited February 19 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 19 of 22
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    davidw said:
    gatorguy said:
    davidw said:
    gatorguy said:

That is not the same as forcing Apple to support RCS  by opening up iMessage or Apple Messages. Apple could satisfy the RCS requirement by letting the carrier install their own RCS client in iOS. The same as what the telecoms did with SMS.

The same as … what exactly? Apple never allowed any third-Party sms clients — or perhaps, it’s just that no one ever offered one. SMS is part of the basic cellphone protocol. Apple could support it in 2007 — or not have text messaging. No telecoms provider forced anything. 
  • Reply 20 of 22
    spheric said:
    davidw said:
    gatorguy said:
    davidw said:
    gatorguy said:

That is not the same as forcing Apple to support RCS  by opening up iMessage or Apple Messages. Apple could satisfy the RCS requirement by letting the carrier install their own RCS client in iOS. The same as what the telecoms did with SMS.

The same as … what exactly? Apple never allowed any third-Party sms clients — or perhaps, it’s just that no one ever offered one. SMS is part of the basic cellphone protocol. Apple could support it in 2007 — or not have text messaging. No telecoms provider forced anything. 

No way that any mobile carriers would support any mobile phone that did not allow SMS messaging. Remember in 2007, the mobile carriers were making a lot of money with text messaging. Texting was not free. But mobile carriers usually offered limited amount of free texting with each plan and offered unlimited monthly texting plans. If Apple did not develop their own SMS and have all the carriers agree to use Apple Text (now Apple Messages) as the default SMS client on iPhones, the carrier would need to install their own SMS client. Like they do on Android devices. If Apple did not allow for that, no carrier would support the iPhone with their mobile services. No way they were going to give up the profits from SMS messaging on iPhones. That's sounds like Apple was being forced to support SMS on their iPhone to me. Either they develop their own SMS client that all the carriers agreed to use or the carriers will install their own SMS client on to the iPhones. It going to be one or the other.  Even today, what's the use of carriers offering unlimited texting as a feature to get customers to pay more for a mobile plan, if the mobile phone don't support SMS texting?

But this doesn't mean that China will allow Apple to use their own RCS client. China telecoms can easily force Apple to install the RCS client the China telecoms wants to use, in order for Apple devices to be certified. The China telecoms don't have to agree to use Apple Messages for RCS, like they did for SMS.  I can see China wanting full control of their 5G messaging in China, like how Google wants full control of RCS on Android outside of China and forcing all Android users to use Google Messages (or Samsung Messages on Samsung phones) for RCS. 

And this is exactly what Google is doing with RCS. They got the telecoms to agree to only use Google Messages as their default client for RCS on Android. Right now, Google do not allow any other messaging service to use RCS on Android. (Except Samsung Messages). The difference now is that the telecoms are not making money with RCS messaging. However, they still make money with SMS and it's still very profitable on the business part of it. Which is why SMS is still the telecoms standard messaging service and all mobile phones must still support it. Even those without a data plan, as SMS uses the same carrier network used for voice.

There's a reason why every mobile phone supports SMS. And it's not because of what the mobile phone makers wants but because of want the telecoms demands of them, if the makers wants mobile service on their phones.