AirPlay-compatible TVs rolling out to hotels starting 'later this spring'

Posted:
in iOS

LG has confirmed that customers should see AirPlay-compatible TVs in select hotels sometime in the spring.

An iPhone shows the interface for connecting to a hotel TV via AirPlay
AirPlay in hotels

Apple released iOS 17.3 with the AirPlay in hotels feature in January, but hotels have to have a compatible TV to use the feature. It was originally expected to roll out in late 2023, but that has shifted to spring 2024.

According to a statement from LG provided to MacRumors, the company expects the first hotels to install AirPlay-enabled smart TVs "later this spring." The feature requires installing a new television, like the LG Pro: Centric Smart Hotel TV.

Some more ambitious Apple users tend to travel with a HomePod or Apple TV in their bag, hoping to avoid cable or terrible hotel TV interfaces. Now, it'll be even more straightforward and require only an iPhone or iPad to view media on the hotel TV.

Apple announced that IHG Hotels and Resorts would implement the technology first, which includes brands like Holiday Inn and Crowne Plaza. It could be years before customers can expect to find an AirPlay-compatible TV in most hotels.

Implementing AirPlay in hotels reduces friction in accessing content and provides Apple users with a better experience. A QR code appears for the user to scan, which connects the device via AirPlay.

However, hardware-specific features can often be slow or impossible to catch on. What's worse is that once a hotel implements new hardware, it can become obsolete quickly and become a relic -- like finding 30-pin iPod docks built into alarm clocks in 2024.

Thankfully, AirPlay is an invisible feature added to the TV and can be upgraded via software. So, hotels may not have to worry as much since the TV will still work even if Apple moves on.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    That would be great.

When I travel I’ll download the day’s photos into my iPad Pro 11” for backup and to review, so it would be great to be able to see photos on a much bigger screen without needing to lug cables and adaptors.

But, good luck finding a hotel with TVs like this!
    edited February 13 watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 6
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,306member
    I am one of those people who pack my Apple TV box and an HDMI cable when I’m going to be staying at a hotel. I already can’t stand regular cable TV programming at all (don’t have it at home), so when I want to watch TV, the Apple TV has spoiled me for watching what I want that’s stored on the device, along with my favourite streaming services.

Really makes the boring conferences I occasionally have to go to much better, and I can only imagine how great a tip this is for parents with kids.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 6
    maltzmaltz Posts: 454member
    I still much prefer an accessible HDMI input.  Then I can plug in a laptop or an AppleTV or whatever I want.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6
    chasm said:
    I am one of those people who pack my Apple TV box and an HDMI cable when I’m going to be staying at a hotel. I already can’t stand regular cable TV programming at all (don’t have it at home), so when I want to watch TV, the Apple TV has spoiled me for watching what I want that’s stored on the device, along with my favourite streaming services.

Really makes the boring conferences I occasionally have to go to much better, and I can only imagine how great a tip this is for parents with kids.
    I will also be carrying my Apple TV with me for quite a while yet. Even the hotels that have smart TVs where I can log into my services have interfaces that are in the main, and being generous, clunky.

Sadly, wifi in many hotels is crap, but I have found a few places where simply transferring the ethernet cable from the TV box to my Apple TV works a treat.  Contemplating adding a router to my bag for those occasions.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 6
    XedXed Posts: 2,571member
    I'm surprised that people even care about in-room TVs at this point. I just use my personal devices.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 6
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    For the first time in a long time I stayed at a hotel last December and wished I had a universal remote app on my iPhone so I could change the tv to an alternative input and play content from my iPad (I have the USB to HDMI adapter). Fortunately the hotel did have Turner Classic Movies so I watched that instead.
    watto_cobra