Unsurprisingly, Mark Zuckerberg believes Meta Quest 3 is the 'better product, period'

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro edited February 13

Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg has finally tried Apple Vision Pro, stating the "seven times less expensive" Meta Quest 3 is "better for the vast majority of things that people use mixed reality for."

Meta Quest 3 on a table with a blurred background
Meta Quest 3

Apple has never directly competed with Meta in the traditional sense. It was sometimes a thorn in its side with features like App Tracking Transparency, but with Apple Vision Pro, it has entered Meta's competitive space without question.

Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg revealed that he's finally tried Apple Vision Pro in a Reel posted to Instagram. He's pretty expressive and ready to declare victory in a battle that's only just begun between the tech titans.

"I finally tried Apple Vision Pro," Zuckerberg said in an Instagram Reel. "I don't think that Quest is the better value, I think Quest is the better product, period."

This is a significant contrast to June 2023 when Meta pre-announced Meta Quest 3 just days before Apple announced Apple Vision Pro. Clearly, there was some sense of a threat from Apple entering the space, but the two headsets exist in completely different markets.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Mark Zuckerberg (@zuck)

If you pick around some of the more grandiose claims, Zuckerberg does make some good points. Apple Vision Pro is not a mass-market product at $3,500, and at launch, at least, it lacks custom experiences.

Design, content, and functionality

Meta has had years to partner with developers and build its immersive content library. Apple's ecosystem and developer community likely will help Apple Vision Pro catch up in that respect.

Meta Quest 3 weighs between 85 grams and 135 grams less than Apple Vision Pro, depending on configuration, and doesn't need an external battery pack. That weight difference is mostly attributed to the build and materials.

Apple Vision Pro on a white cushion with a blurred background.
Apple Vision Pro

He says Meta's design choices lean into the functionality the company aimed for -- games, socializing, working out, and more. Comfort is critical, and the lack of wires helps with these functions, too.

Zuckerberg wanted to be clear that Meta Quest 3 has a "high-quality passthrough with big screens." The Reel was even recorded on Meta Quest 3 in Zuckerberg's brightly lit living room with giant sunlight-filled windows, ensuring the best results.

He also highlights that he believes the displays are brighter, have less motion blur, and that hand tracking is better on the Quest. There's no eye tracking in Meta Quest 3, but Zuckerberg says that's a feature that will return.

At one point, it was mentioned that Meta Quest 3 was the only place to watch YouTube or play Xbox versus Apple Vision Pro. This is incorrect thanks to apps like Nexus and Juno.

Open versus closed

"I know that some fanboys get upset whenever anyone dares question if Apple is going to be the leader in a new category," Zuckerberg commented. "In the next generation, Meta is going to be the open model."

He says the desktop era was more open thanks to Microsoft, but the mobile era is closed down because of Apple. Meta hopes to win the VR space by being more open and beating out Apple's closed ecosystem approach.

With Meta Quest 3 priced much lower than Apple Vision Pro, it controls a broader market. It's as if Meta will end up as the Android of the headset space.

The Reel ends on an odd note with Mark Zuckerberg quoting "the best way to predict the future is to invent it." Versions of that quote have existed for decades, but the two places that stands out is Alan Kay in 1971 at PARC, and The Well Manicured Man of "The X-Files" in 1995 -- a more fitting analogue.

There are a lot of opinions surrounding Apple Vision Pro and its future. Some are more positive than others, but of course, it is obvious that the CEO of Meta isn't going to come out and say its competitor has a better product.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Sounds like Zuckerberg said in not so many words that his product is already obsolete.
    XedtmaybaconstangbloggerblogmacxpressigorskychasmQuickfeet32FileMakerFellerwilliamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 61
    XedXed Posts: 2,572member
    sflocal said:
    Sounds like Zuckerberg said in not so many words that his product is already obsolete.
    He noted a feature AVP has and said MQ will get it back in a future release. That's not a good position for the current market leader to make regarding a newly released and first release from a company that has never made a product for this category before.

It's also worth noting that Apple doesn't usually compare itself to others so for Zuckerberg to make this claim is cringe from a marketing standpoint.
    AfarstarFileMakerFellerCluntBaby92williamlondonRadio_SignalForumPostbyronlwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 61
    Wesley HilliardWesley Hilliard Posts: 190member, administrator, moderator, editor
    Xed said:

It's also worth noting that Apple doesn't usually compare itself to others so for Zuckerberg to make this claim is cringe from a marketing standpoint.
    Note that Apple will never have Tim Cook on social media talking about the pros and cons of buying a Pixel, Meta, or what have you. Samsung has mostly stopped its anti-Apple ad push for now, and Google cooled off the concept late in 2023 after it's silly Pixel ads.

I think it's only a matter of time before we see Meta release ads comparing it's headset to Apple Vision Pro in one way or another. 
    tmayigorskyFileMakerFellerCluntBaby92ForumPostbyronlwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 4 of 61
    Xed said:

Note that Apple will never have Tim Cook on social media talking about the pros and cons of buying a Pixel, Meta, or what have you. Samsung has mostly stopped its anti-Apple ad push for now, and Google cooled off the concept late in 2023 after it's silly Pixel ads.

I think it's only a matter of time before we see Meta release ads comparing it's headset to Apple Vision Pro in one way or another. 
    I think you're right. And I don't think they need to. I've made this comparison before, but Blackberry boomed after the iPhone was released because it legitimized the smartphone market for the average user. I think AVP will also cause a major jump in VR sales for Meta. I also think that unless Blackberry which was dying even after its sales were booming because they weren't able to keep up which allowed Android to get hold, I do think Meta is poised to take up the larger, lower-end market that Apple won't quickly or fully enter.
    schlackigorskybyronlwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 61
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,874member
    Good that means no Meta software polluting the Apple Vision ecosystem. You can be sure Apple won't bother wasting time with Meta's.  :)
    tmayigorskychasmQuickfeet32FileMakerFellerForumPostwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 6 of 61
    Besides gaming, what does anyone use the Quest for anyway?   Probably never see them in an OR...
    nubusschlackForumPostwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 7 of 61
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,306member
    There's plenty of room in this market for a truck and a toy truck.

The Meta Quest, at present, is a toy truck -- fine for the lighter stuff, but it's an entertainment device for games and such.

The Vision Pro is not priced like a toy truck, and clearly has more heft behind it. But it already can replace a single-user computer. Let's try that on a Quest and see how far we get.

People are not paying $3,500 for a toy. They expect, and will get, ways to be even more productive in select areas. The fact that it can do entertainment as well is a bonus, not the point.
    PeramanpaisleydiscoforegoneconclusionbaconstangFileMakerFellercdarlington1CluntBaby92ForumPostbyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 61
    Mark is delusional, period.
    AfarstarigorskybaconstangwilliamlondonForumPostwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 61
    nubusnubus Posts: 386member
    Did Zuckerberg go full Nokia after 10 days of AVR? He is now all hardware discussing weight, FOV, cables, and the last remaining straw... pricing. Well, pricing didn't help Creative from being steamrolled by iPod. It didn't help Samsung with selling tablets, and it certainly didn't help Nokia against iPhone.

Zuckerberg lost to Apple on software and scope before visionOS 1.1 shipped.
    KierkegaardenbadmonktmaydanoxAlex_Vcg27FileMakerFellerForumPostbyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 61
    Funny how he ends with a quote from Alan Kay - who is an Apple Fellow. Guess ol’ Zuck has Apple on the brain.
    igorskybyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 61
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    Open platforms require trust and meta has zero capital to spend it that regards. 
    badmonkdanoxAlex_VbaconstangchasmFileMakerFellerRadio_SignalForumPostbyronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 61
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    He's doing what he has to do so I wouldn't expect anything less.

The same applies to Tim Cook with, for example, the AI references. 

Open formats would definitely be preferably for content like AR etc.

The industry knows where it's going. I haven't seen any changes in direction in years. 

It's waiting on various technological advances to reach objectives and fighting on price. Some playing to the lower end (with obvious trade offs) and others to the higher end (where cost is a key factor. 

The industry will converge somewhere in the middle at some point but reducing the 'visor' element is obviously a major goal. 

Compute can be largely off loaded to the cloud in the near term and that will help with the physical constraints and maybe initial cost. Charging and battery considerations will improve greatly in short order too. 
    dewmeFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 13 of 61
    Those are some serious Mike Lazaridis/Steve Ballmer vibes emanating from Zuck.
    danoxAlex_VchasmFileMakerFellerRadio_Signalwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 61
    omasouomasou Posts: 576member
    I'm a bit confused why people are trying to hunt and peck on the VP keyboard. When I use mine, I look at a key and click with my two fingers. I can type super fast using this method. The only difficulty is looking up at the word being typed for mistakes while typing but what is nice is if you look up and there is a mistake Apple added a delete key at the end of the input field. I would like to see Apple support arrow keys b/c sometimes I type so fast that I have a mistake in the middle of the word and have to delete back and retype.
    edited February 14 danoxbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 61
    omasou said:
    I'm a bit confused why people are trying to hunt and peck on the VP keyboard. When I use mine, I look at a key and click with my two fingers. I can type super fast using this method.
    I've found that I'm faster if I do peck at the floating keyboard. It's not a solution for extended use due to arm fatigue, but for inputting a password it's the fastest method for me.

I think the reason it's faster is it's a slower process for me to look at letter, verify that it's slowly slightly, and then pinching my fingers before moving on. I had too many incorrect inputs trying to go fast. Perhaps that would change in time as tracking gets better with SW updates and/or my coordination gets better, but for now the virtual tapping is the best method for a shorter set of characters done quickly.
    edited February 14 watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 61
    avon b7 said:

Mark Zuckerberg is actively posting a defense of his product on social media. Tim Cook answered questions he was asked during an investor call. The two situations aren’t comparable. One is incredibly defensive and the other is run of the mill business.
    Xedmuthuk_vanalingamdanoxAlex_VbaconstangFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 61
    avon b7 said:

Mark Zuckerberg is actively posting a defense of his product on social media. Tim Cook answered questions he was asked during an investor call. The two situations aren’t comparable. One is incredibly defensive and the other is run of the mill business.
    I shook my head when I read that. To claim that Zuck was somehow required to try AVP and then make a video defending the comparably low-grade HW as being better, even going so far to state that eye-tracking was coming back to to Quest in a future product release is just silly. Not only did Zuck not have to make that video, he shouldn't have made that video. Quest is going to do better now that AVP is in the market. Enjoy the sales and make sure that no other company will come in at the low-end market you current possess. As you state, when a question is asked on an investor call you answer it. At least Cook tends to stay on topic and answer within a lot of deflecting even if he doesn't give specific about an unreleased product.
    edited February 14 muthuk_vanalingamGabyFileMakerFellerForumPostwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 61
    Reality: the desktop era pre-smartphone was completely dominated by entrenched legacy developers. Apple's approach with iOS helped alleviate that by giving every developer that released software through the App Store the same terms. And that's what the heavy hitters in the Windows world were upset about once iOS/iPhone became so popular. They wanted special treatment relative to the smaller developers. That's the reason for all the lawsuits and government lobbying. The "open" part is just a smokescreen for allowing them to use all their financial leverage to snuff out the smaller guys. People can talk all they want about "increasing competition", but that is obviously not the reason that companies like Microsoft, Epic and  Spotify are willing to spend all the lobbying money. They want to crush competition and breaking iOS is part of how they want to achieve that. 
    danoxAlex_VbaconstangdewmeFileMakerFellerRadio_Signalwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 61

avon b7 said: The same applies to Tim Cook with, for example, the AI references. 
    "AI" isn't hard to do. That's why the market is being flooded with "AI" products. 
    tmayForumPostwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 61
    Meta has had years of customer feedback and has evolved their platform significantly, with frequent updates, new features, and major OS releases. It's no surprise that it's more mature and better than Apple's just released Vision Pro. Some of the hardware advantages that Quest 3 has over Vision Pro are more fact than option, such as brighter displays, higher refresh rates, greater field of view, lower weight, better hand tracking, etc. The real question will be how quickly does Vision Pro evolve to overtake the Quest line of headsets, how does the pricing evolve, etc.