Peloton pumps the brakes on removing GymKit support for Bike+

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited February 18

Peloton will continue supporting Apple GymKit integration after customers reacted negatively to the fitness company's plans to axe the feature.

Customer outcry scores a win for GymKit on Peloton
Customer outcry scores a win for GymKit on Peloton

On Monday, Peloton announced that it would no longer be supporting Apple's GymKit health data sharing service on Apple Watch. It wanted to usher users into its own app instead.

Now, on Thursday, a mere three days later, the company has backpedaled, as spotted by Connect the Watts. After considerable customer feedback, Peloton has emailed customers stating that it would continue supporting Apple GymKit for the Bike+.

"Earlier this week we shared that we were going to end our integration of Apple GymKit for Bike+," the email reads. "We heard you loud and clear, this is an important feature for you. Based on your feedback, we will continue supporting this integration."

The email reminds users that GymKit can be used for Cycling workouts on Bike+ for All-Access members. It also reminds users that they can use Peloton One-Tap Tracking, which is its own fitness tracking service.

Apple launched GymKit alongside watchOS 4.1 in October 2017. It appeared first in equipment at a gym in Australia, then one in London, before finally reaching the US in December 2017.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Great companies know when to. pivot.

Good to hear.

Hopefully Apple improves GymKit to the level of Peleton's capabilities.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 3
    I really hope Apple goes beyond gymkit and adds one low-hanging fruit: HR broadcast from Apple watch. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Great companies know when to. pivot.

Good to hear.

Hopefully Apple improves GymKit to the level of Peleton's capabilities.
    How do you mean? When companies attempt to silo off your data, it isn't because the tools are lacking. It's because they believe they can leverage it to their own advantage somehow. 

This is why I never invested in a FitBit. They didn't respect me as a customer to let me own my own data. And no surprise they sold to Google which does the same thing and is similarly not aligned w/ my customer interests, as demonstrated by refusing to let Nest use HomeKit. Their interests are not my interests, thus no-buy.
    watto_cobra