Microsoft's gaming CEO doesn't think iOS is open enough for Xbox gaming

Posted:
in iOS edited February 16

In a new interview, Microsoft's Phil Spencer discusses how Microsoft is bringing its Xbox titles to new platforms -- but he doesn't think they'll find a home on iOS.

Microsoft is not bringing Xcloud natively to iPhone
Microsoft is not bringing Xcloud natively to iPhone

Microsoft is expanding beyond its Xbox gaming console and Windows by releasing video games to Nintendo's Switch and Sony's PS5. It makes sense, then, that if the company is trying to get its games into as many hands as possible, it would bring those games natively to the iPhone.

But, that's not the case -- at least not yet.

Phil Spencer, Microsoft Gaming's CEO, said in a new interview with The Verge that Apple hasn't given the company an effective way to monetize Xbox games on its platform.

"There's not room for us to monetize Xbox Cloud Gaming on iOS. I think the proposal that Apple put forward -- and I thought Sarah Bond's comments on this were right on -- doesn't go far enough to open up," he says about the UK Digital Markets Act concessions.

Of course, he doesn't comment on the fact that -- as of iOS 17.4 -- Apple now allows single app streaming. Apple's change to what's permitted for streaming game services will allow Microsoft to make a "reader" app that would impose no fees beyond what the user purchases in-app.

Ultimately, what Microsoft wants is its own app store, everywhere. Spencer believes that mobile gaming should work more like those on desktop.

"We will continue to work with regulators, and Apple and Google, to create a space for alternative storefronts. I'm a big fan of how Windows works, and you've got a Microsoft Store on Windows, you've got Steam, you've got the Epic Games Store, you've got GOG," he tells the interviewer.

Microsoft has its own walled garden in the Xbox marketplace. It charges a similar fee to game developers that Apple's App Store does.

The company has repeatedly said this is okay because Xbox hardware is sold as a loss-leader. However, there is no provision in US law requiring App Stores to only charge fees if the hardware is subsidized by an app store on the platform.

"You have alternatives, and I think alternative ways for people to buy things creates goodness for consumers and creators," Spencer added.

While Apple doesn't allow alternative marketplaces in the US, the company will allow them soon the European Union with caveats. The move was made to comply with the EU's Digital Markets Act.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,253member
    “Microsoft has its own walled garden.” Interesting comment. Is anyone looking into this? Probably not. All Microsoft wants is money, they haven’t come up with anything new in years, actually ever. 
    tmaydanoxwilliamlondonwatto_cobrapulseimages
  • Reply 2 of 21

"We will continue to work with regulators, and Apple and Google, to create a space for alternative storefronts. I'm a big fan of how Windows works, and you've got a Microsoft Store on Windows, you've got Steam, you've got the Epic Games Store, you've got GOG," he tells the interviewer. 

Microsoft has its own walled garden in the Xbox marketplace. It charges a similar fee to game developers that Apple's App Store does.

If he’s such a big fan of the way Windows works why doesn’t he change Xbox to reflect that? I imagine Steam and Epic would love to have their own stores on Xbox. Isn’t he the guy to make that happen?
    edited February 16 rob53macxpressblastdoordanoxmknelsontmayforegoneconclusionStrangeDayswatto_cobrapulseimages
  • Reply 3 of 21
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,305member

If he’s such a big fan of the way Windows works why doesn’t he change Xbox to reflect that? I imagine Steam and Epic would love to have their own stores on Xbox. Isn’t he the guy to make that happen?
    I wonder if Microsoft is planning to get out of the Xbox hardware business entirely and he just forgot that they hadn't made that announcement yet. If not, then his comment is blatantly hypocritical. 

In all seriousness, the Xbox has always been a questionable business decision by Microsoft. I think they should have focused purely on making Windows PC gaming the absolute best it can be. I think part of the reason that PlayStation consistently beats Xbox is that Microsoft has split their attention between Xbox and Windows gaming to the detriment of both. 
    watto_cobrapulseimages
  • Reply 4 of 21
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    blastdoor said:

I wonder if Microsoft is planning to get out of the Xbox hardware business entirely and he just forgot that they hadn't made that announcement yet. If not, then his comment is blatantly hypocritical. 
    They said they will continue to make Xbox hardware and their next hardware upgrade would be the biggest generational jump:

https://www.theverge.com/2024/2/16/24074729/microsoft-phil-spencer-xbox-everywhere-memo
    https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-next-gen-console-confirmed-business-update

They and Epic are hypocrites. They want every other platform open so they can leverage them to boost engagement with their own closed platforms.
    rob53thttmaywilliamlondonforgot usernamewatto_cobrapulseimages
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Microsoft's Gaming CEO is also a big hypocrite! 
    williamlondonwatto_cobrapulseimages
  • Reply 6 of 21
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    The company has repeatedly said this is okay because Xbox hardware is sold as a loss-leader.
    This type of statement is from a position of convenience, not of actual intent nor desire. That is, they theoretically are selling Xboxes at a loss (so they say) because they can't make Xboxes as cheap as Sony can, and since they have minority share in game console hardware, they have to minimally price match PS prices, discount to move units, or risk further erosion of their unit share.

Sony makes a profit on their PS hardware. This hardware is virtually identical to Xbox hardware. If Sony is making a profit on their hardware, it means something is wrong with MS's efficiency in their supply chain, selling and supporting their hardware, or whatever it is.

There is perhaps a brand advantage with Sony and Playstation. Wonder what its unit share in East Asia is? While MS is still recovering from there prior Xbox fiascos, and that's dragging their sales. Either way, the cost of PS5 and Xboxes are going to be pretty similar to each other. Both, basically PCs with AMD SoCs and SSDs. If Sony is making a profit on their hardware, it likely means MS is messing up somewhere with their Xbox hardware business, and it's really not their intent to sell at a loss.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 21
    harrykatsarosharrykatsaros Posts: 76unconfirmed, member

He's right I am a very big fan of this too. The one thing that would make my experience better as an iOS user is managing my 200-300 apps through 200-300 individual app stores. That is what's called putting the customer experience first. Who wouldn't be a fan of this approach? These people need to f*** right off. 
    edited February 17 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 21
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    blastdoor said:

In all seriousness, the Xbox has always been a questionable business decision by Microsoft. I think they should have focused purely on making Windows PC gaming the absolute best it can be. I think part of the reason that PlayStation consistently beats Xbox is that Microsoft has split their attention between Xbox and Windows gaming to the detriment of both. 
    There are plans for a new console,
    Xbox Next-Gen Console Confirmed, Will be 'Largest Technical Leap in a Hardware Generation' - IGN
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Marvin said:
    blastdoor said:

They said they will continue to make Xbox hardware and their next hardware upgrade would be the biggest generational jump:

https://www.theverge.com/2024/2/16/24074729/microsoft-phil-spencer-xbox-everywhere-memo

They and Epic are hypocrites. They want every other platform open so they can leverage them to boost engagement with their own closed platforms.
    IMO, it's not about being hypocrite.  I think they are doing what they think it's best for their business.  For example, we see Apple speaking about privacy, and at the same time, they do business with Google and made their search engine the default in Apple devices. It could be seen as hypocrite, but it in reality is just business and what makes sense for the company.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 10 of 21
    macxpress said:
    Microsoft's Gaming CEO is also a big hypocrite! 
    You could also say that Tim Cook is a hypocrite for speaking about privacy and the same time doing business with Google and making their search engine the default for all Apple devices.  At the end, this is all business and what it's best for the company.  
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 11 of 21
    "We will continue to work with regulators, and Apple and Google, to create a space for alternative storefronts. I'm a big fan of how Windows works, and you've got a Microsoft Store on Windows, you've got Steam, you've got the Epic Games Store, you've got GOG," he tells the interviewer."

LOL...those stores aren't even remotely comparable in terms of the total number of games available. Microsoft and Epic are tiny boutique stores compared to Steam. The actual competition level is really lame compared to the rhetoric. 

edited February 17 watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 21
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    danvm said:
    Marvin said:
    blastdoor said:

IMO, it's not about being hypocrite.  I think they are doing what they think it's best for their business.  For example, we see Apple speaking about privacy, and at the same time, they do business with Google and made their search engine the default in Apple devices. It could be seen as hypocrite, but it in reality is just business and what makes sense for the company.
    That's what the word means, regardless of it being best for business. Apple doing business with Google doesn't mean they compromise their own standards of privacy, people use Google anyway. When Microsoft and Epic laud open platforms while maintaining closed ones for the same benefits Apple does, that makes them hypocrites.

One of the reasons platforms are better closed for gaming is to prevent cheating. Microsoft conveniently fails to point out that game devs on open platforms like Windows install kernel-level anti-cheat software:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/comments/19do1mv/helldivers_2_will_force_you_to_install_rootkit/
    https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/13/22724037/call-of-duty-ricochet-anti-cheat-system-kernel-level-driver

This is highly invasive software that has system-wide permissions. The people who want open platforms need to undermine some of the security model of the closed platforms to get what they want. They have no right to demand that other companies make less secure software for all of their customer base for their own financial benefit.
    danoxwilliamlondondewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Marvin said:
    danvm said:
    Marvin said:
    blastdoor said:

That's what the word means, regardless of it being best for business. Apple doing business with Google doesn't mean they compromise their own standards of privacy, people use Google anyway. When Microsoft and Epic laud open platforms while maintaining closed ones for the same benefits Apple does, that makes them hypocrites.

One of the reasons platforms are better closed for gaming is to prevent cheating. Microsoft conveniently fails to point out that game devs on open platforms like Windows install kernel-level anti-cheat software:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/comments/19do1mv/helldivers_2_will_force_you_to_install_rootkit/
    https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/13/22724037/call-of-duty-ricochet-anti-cheat-system-kernel-level-driver

This is highly invasive software that has system-wide permissions. The people who want open platforms need to undermine some of the security model of the closed platforms to get what they want. They have no right to demand that other companies make less secure software for all of their customer base for their own financial benefit.
    I know that hypocrite means, I was pointing out that is just business. 

And I think that Apple is being hypocrite.  They made Google Search the default search engine for all Apple devices, even though they criticize Google privacy practices.  

Apple CEO Tim Cook Criticizes Google and Facebook Over Privacy Policies | Inc.com

For a few billions per year Google have access to Apple customers, even though Apple though they don't have good privacy policies.  Hypocrite, don't you think?

And what you said of people using Google anyway is irrelevant.  If that's the case, Apple should do business with Facebook and TikTok and pre-install their apps, since people will use them anyway, right?

BTW, I don't see the relevance on your comment about anti-cheat systems and the article about MS CEO comments on Apple App Store not open enough to monetize.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 14 of 21
    “Hello Mr Kettle, I’m Mr Pot. You’re black!”
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 21
    And yet he doesn't open his own Xbox platform up like Windows, which is his direct criticism of iPhone. Both are walled gardens, both are appliance computing. Hmmm
    edited February 17 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Spencer is quite the hypocrite.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 21
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    If Mr. Spenser was interested in making something happen with a business-to-business relationship he wouldn't be whining to The Verge. There are certainly executives at Apple who would gladly take his call and discuss these kinds of things in a professional setting where real stuff can actually get done. It's sickening to see all these C-suiters becoming crybabies who try to resolve their issues on social media and the court of public opinion. To think that their companies and boards are actually paying them giant salaries and slathering them with other forms of compensation is mindboggling. WTF are business schools teaching these losers these days? Sorry Satya Nadella, but this dude is not earning his keep.
    williamlondonmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 21
    I like the way Windows works in this regard as well, but the existing Microsoft Store is an abomination that I previously thought only the gods could create.  I was obviously wrong about that.

If this proposed Xbox store is in fact a possibility, please follow the excellent leads provided by Steam, GOG, and Epic.  As much as I dislike Epic as a company, their store friend is pretty decent.

williamlondon
  • Reply 19 of 21
    I like Phil Spencer, and Xbox/Game Pass, but it's a tricky bit of doublespeak to argue that Apple should open up their walled-garden game platform and Microsoft should not.

Microsoft should be happy that being declared a gatekeeper doesn't affect Xbox.

Fortunately for them the DMA seems to have been targeted mainly at other companies.
    edited February 21 tht
  • Reply 20 of 21

The company has repeatedly said this is okay because Xbox hardware is sold as a loss-leader. However, there is no provision in US law requiring App Stores to only charge fees if the hardware is subsidized by an app store on the platform.
    This is exactly on target - I commend whoever wrote this article. Consider also that the Switch was always profitable compared to its component and manufacturing costs, for example. And the PS5 rapidly aged out of "loss leader" status in terms of component and manufacturing cost. Moreover, cost of components and manufacturing ignores the enormous R&D costs, which still have to be amortized over years.

To speak more clearly and accurately, Phil might say that iPhone and Xbox have similar business models (though Xbox is priced more aggressively out of the gate), and that they'd like to negotiate with Apple, just as they would like to with Nintendo and Sony, to get more Xbox games (and business for Microsoft) on Apple's walled-garden platform. But I doubt Microsoft's higher-ups and lawyers would approve of that sort of candor. I do appreciate him pointing out that basically it's a business issue over who gets how much money.

Of course there's nothing stopping them from making a Microsoft game store for Android, except that nobody would use it.

One thing that puzzles me is that Amazon Luna seems to work OK as a web app, but I guess Microsoft was unimpressed.
    edited February 21