Alleged iPhone 16 part leak suggests vertical camera alignment

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 16

A new leaked part said to be from the iPhone 16 corroborates existing rumors about vertically stacked cameras, which could facilitate shooting Spatial Video.

The iPhone 12 was the last model with vertical cameras
The iPhone 12 was the last model with vertical cameras

On Friday, known and questionable leaker Majin Bu posted pictures that they claimed to be the camera module of Apple's yet-to-be-announced iPhone 16.

This would appear to be the new camera module of the iPhone 16, as you can see the vertical positioning is confirmed pic.twitter.com/JWF5olGwQ4

-- Majin Bu (@MajinBuOfficial)

While Majin Bu's track record isn't very good, this isn't the first time we've heard this rumor, either. In May 2023, another leak from more reliable leaker Unknownz21 suggested the same vertical layout.

In December, renders of the iPhone 16 showed similar vertical positioning. Apple reintroducing vertical cameras to standard iPhones is likely for Spatial Video capture.

With Spatial Video capture, users can capture 3D video that can be viewed on Apple Vision Pro. For now, it is limited to iPhone 15 Pro.

This rumor is ranked "possible" not because of the source, but because of a series of previous rumors leading to this point, all saying the same thing. Majin Bu has periodically gotten some things right which generally come from other sources first, but is very wrong more often than not.

The iPhone 12 family was the last iPhone to have a vertical camera.

Rumor Score: Possible

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    What will be interesting is if they do the same on the three camera iPhone Pro. Spatial Video isn't as good with video taken on an iPhone, but putting all three in a row would let you put the telephoto in the middle and the wide and ultra wide at the ends. Just a bit further apart, but I think every bit helps.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    hmlongco said:
    What will be interesting is if they do the same on the three camera iPhone Pro. Spatial Video isn't as good with video taken on an iPhone, but putting all three in a row would let you put the telephoto in the middle and the wide and ultra wide at the ends. Just a bit further apart, but I think every bit helps.
    They could just go all the way and have 2 main cameras, 3 inches apart. ;)

The turtles can be stacked pretty high. There could be 2 front cams on iPhones. There could be both 2 main cams spaced 3 inches apart on iPads, and 2 front cameras as well. Then, for Mac devices, they could have 2 front cams too. ;).

And add hand and eye tracking to the Macs and iPads too. Try to unify the UI design between platforms as much as possible so apps.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Innovation!!!!! Can’t wait.

Just kidding. I’ll hold on to my 14 Pro Max in that case, thanks. 
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Will they finally let you shoot in landscape mode while holding the iPhone vertically?  I mean, c'mon, the iPhone has been around for almost 20 years.  Who likes to watch movies as if they were shot through a slit in the wall?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member
    How's this different from iPhone 15 and previous ones?