Hands on with Apple Vision Pro ZEISS optical inserts

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro

If you need glasses or contacts, there's a solid chance you'll need optical inserts to use Apple Vision Pro. Here's what you need to know about these magnetic lenses.

Optical inserts laying on a black leather mat in the center of the Apple Vision Pro, which is facing the top right of the photo in a top-down view.
Apple Vision Pro ZEISS optical inserts

Apple Vision Pro is designed to fit the user's face exactly. That means you won't be able to use glasses, and because of how eye-tracking works, hard contacts aren't an option either.

You won't need optical inserts if you can see fine with single-vision soft contacts. That means everyone else, those with glasses, readers, or other forms of vision correction, will need the inserts.

Apple Vision Pro ZEISS optical inserts design

Apple isn't the only company that offers some kind of inserts for vision correction in their headset. However, some companies avoid the need by building the headset with space for glasses, like PSVR 2.

The optical inserts for Apple Vision Pro are small oblong lenses surrounded by a metal frame. One side is magnetic, so it slots exactly into the headset in the correct direction.

The top of the lens has a white line to indicate which side faces up. The outer edge facing the user's nose has an "L" or "R" to show which side it belongs in.

Optical inserts sitting on the packaging. The box says 'Apple Vision Pro | ZEISS'
Optical inserts by ZEISS

The magnetic strength of the lenses is enough that they won't pop out during use, no matter how much you move your head. After one mild drop to a thankfully carpeted surface, we've noticed that the lenses can pop out with enough force.

No, nothing was damaged in this drop, not even a scratch.

ZEISS is known for making high-quality camera lenses but has also made prescription inserts for different applications. The clarity of the glass lends to the high price.

Using Apple Vision Pro optical inserts

Depending on your prescription strength, you may find using Apple Vision Pro without inserts is possible. The focal distance is slightly over a meter, but it's not the same as seeing an object in real life.

A close up view of the inside of the Apple Vision Pro headset with the left optical insert in view.
Looking through multiple layers of glass can create artifacts and glare

We've noticed that while things are legible without the inserts, the difference with the inserts is night and day. The text is much sharper, and everything appears in much better focus.

There is some downside to having optical inserts, so utilize soft contacts when possible. Adding another layer of glass to the displays means introducing more possibilities for reflections and glare.

Reflections and glare are inherent to Apple Vision Pro and will occur in high-contrast areas like bright scenes of a movie playing in a dark theater. Optical inserts amplify this effect slightly, but not in a way that makes the device unusable -- it's just an effect worth noting.

Anyone who's used a headset like PSVR 2 or Meta Quest will know that it seems as if you're constantly cleaning the lenses. That hasn't been our experience with the optical inserts.

After hours of use over multiple weeks, we've had to clean the lenses only a few times. That's mostly due to handling them when removing them for others to test Apple Vision Pro.

Apple has seemingly opted for high-end glass with a coating that keeps the lenses clean -- another example of why the lenses are priced so high.

Limitations to Apple Vision Pro ZEISS optical inserts

Eyesight correction is a very nuanced problem to tackle. Several issues people can have with their eyesight make prescriptions complex or difficult to fill.

A view of Apple Vision Pro flipped upside down. The hand tracking sensors are visible with the eye inserts jutting out from the interior.
Apple Vision Pro isn't for everyone, not yet

To make things more challenging, Apple Vision Pro has to adjust its eye tracking and software based on paired prescriptions. Some things are just outside of the spectrum that software can cover, at least with the current hardware and visionOS version.

We cannot provide a magical value to tell you if you're ineligible for Apple Vision Pro prescriptions. ZEISS has a tool to insert values to check if a prescription can be filled with the optical inserts.

If one of your values is outside the range, it will be flagged. However, that's not the end of your opportunity to own and use Apple Vision Pro.

Save this information and speak to your optometrist about adjusting values to correct your vision while meeting the requirements. If that isn't possible and soft contacts or LASIK are out of the question, you may have to wait for new hardware or software to try again.

There are accessibility features for Apple Vision Pro that will help with things like monovision, a drooping eyelid, lazy eye, and other conditions. For example, users can make eye tracking rely on only one eye instead of two.

Anyone who experiences blurriness or eye strain while using Apple Vision Pro should speak to their eye care provider for an updated prescription. This applies to users relying on reader lenses, too.

Ordering Apple Vision Pro ZEISS optical inserts

If you've decided to order Apple Vision Pro, it's a straightforward process that can be completed from the Apple Store app or Apple's website. To complete the order, you'll need to know if you need readers or prescription lenses.

Optical inserts laying on a black mat. The left insert is laying flat while the right insert is standing on end.
Optical inserts make using Apple Vision Pro without glasses possible

To order reader inserts, Apple will need to know the correction strength. They come in three strengths:

• +0.75 to +1.25D

• +1.50 to +1.75D

• +2.00 to +2.75D

Those that use readers with correction above +2.75D can try inserts within the +2.00 to +2.75 range. Otherwise, they'll need to speak to their eye care provider.

Ordering prescription strength inserts has a few more requirements, but this portion of the order is completed after Apple Vision Pro is ordered online.

You'll need a prescription with:

• Your distance correction needs and/or your near correction needs, indicated separately but on the same prescription sheet. This is known as the full manifest refraction by eye care providers.

• An expiration date (that's not expired).

• Your full name, and your prescriber's license number and signature.

• Your eye exam or issue date.

Contact lens prescriptions aren't accepted. The prescription shouldn't contain intermediate distance, task distance, or computer distance.

ZEISS optical inserts can't be made with prism values.

Reader inserts are $99. Prescription inserts are $149. Apple Vision Pro starts at $3,499.

Read on AppleInsider

ForumPost

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    XedXed Posts: 2,822member
    I noticed that AVP displays the strength of the optical inserts when they're added (and possibly when they're removed). Is this done with the sensors to determine the strength or is there some other mechanism, like a passive RFID chip in each lens?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,676member
    Thanks, this is helpful information.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Xed said:
    I noticed that AVP displays the strength of the optical inserts when they're added (and possibly when they're removed). Is this done with the sensors to determine the strength or is there some other mechanism, like a passive RFID chip in each lens?
    I would think this is done with a sensor, similar to how they can determine your lens prescription by scanning it in a machine.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    If Apple had given these details about the prescription requirements in advance, then mine would have not arrived four days after my AVP. 

Between this and the highly inaccurate light seal measuring process, (I Still don't have my correct seal) this has been a bad launch for Apple.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 14
    No (prism) correction for astigmatism, that’s a shame.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    dewme said:
    Concur. Would also like to know if these vision correction devices can be paid for (in the US) with HSA/ FSA funds.

ForumPostwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Xed said:
    I would think this is done with a sensor, similar to how they can determine your lens prescription by scanning it in a machine.
    Don't those machines work by playing the lens between a transmitter and receiver to see the how the light refracts? With AVP there  are only sensors on one side of the lenses.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14

eightzero said:
    dewme said:
    Concur. Would also like to know if these vision correction devices can be paid for (in the US) with HSA/ FSA funds.

Apple addresses that as best they can in their FAQ
    Are ZEISS Optical Inserts reimbursable under my Flexible Spending Account (FSA) or Health Savings Account (HSA) in the U.S.?
    ZEISS Optical Inserts may be reimbursable under FSA or HSA. Please check with your FSA/HSA plan administrator.
    ForumPostwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Appleish said:
    If Apple had given these details about the prescription requirements in advance, then mine would have not arrived four days after my AVP. 

Between this and the highly inaccurate light seal measuring process, (I Still don't have my correct seal) this has been a bad launch for Apple.
    1) I was impressed with how sophisticated the tool works with your iPhone when ordering on my Mac. Maybe it's super convenient for you, but you could always go into an Apple Store or contact Apple to get a  Light Seal that fits better. I don't think it's fair to call it "highly inaccurate" based on your anecdotal experience, just as I wouldn't call it a highly accurate system for all based on my one experience.

2) What details about the Zeiss lens inserts do you feel Apple didn't give you soon enough? I ordered the day of and my lenses came about a week before my AVP. I did have some back and forth with Zeiss since my prescription upload was missing information that required contacting my eye doctor for additional information to be emailed to me. The response from Zeiss was extremely quick. Usually a response that fast is because an automated system sent you a reply but this was clearly a real person on the other end analyzing your written script and letting you know what information was still missing before they could submit you script for processing.
    ForumPostwilliamlondonjas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Prism isn’t correction for astigmatism. You can see the ‘Axis’ option at the Zeiss web page which is the astimatism correction…

Prism
    https://www.warbyparker.com/learn/what-are-prism-glasses

appleinsideruserForumPostwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Appleish said:

Stop crying like a whiny pathetic self-entitled perfectionist.  The light seals are fine, but they don’t come in 2000 different sizes so you’re gonna have to settle with one size and be satisfied with it.

Have this image of you at an Apple Store saying “nope not this one let’s try another… nope not this one let’s try another…. nope not this one let’s try another…” as the Apple employees sit there rolling their eyes.  

After preordering, I had to wait four days to get an official copy of my current prescription from my optometrist.  Even so, my Zeiss lenses still arrived at the same time, packed in the same box, and fit perfectly, as did most others.

People like you crack me up. Because you had flaws, you assume everyone had problems too. 
    jas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    cjcoops said:
    Prism isn’t correction for astigmatism. You can see the ‘Axis’ option at the Zeiss web page which is the astimatism correction…

Prism : 
    https://www.warbyparker.com/learn/what-are-prism-glasses

Aha, thanks @cjcoops ;
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Eye tracking seems to work better with the optical inserts over soft contacts. If you have a prescription they are the better choice.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 14
    With soft contacts, you will need a different light seal than with the Zeiss lenses. 
    I use the 21W lightseal with soft contacts but with the lenses I'm supposed to use the 25W lightseal to keep my eyes further away from the lenses. Even with the included extra thickness facepad attached, I get regular notices that my eyes are too close to the lenses. The VP works just fine,  even sharper with the Zeiss lenses than with my contacts (though the extra flare is not insignificant),  but I would say my field of view is smaller and the warnings suggest that  it could be dangerous.
    But another $199 for the extra lightseal, which I would then have to carry around with me?  Meh.
    williamlondon