Apple says the iPhone 15 battery is more durable than it originally thought

Posted:
in iPhone

Apple has updated its expectations for the battery life of the iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Pro, with the company saying it will deliver twice the previously-predicted charge cycles.

An iPhone battery charging chart
An iPhone battery charging chart

Battery capacity has always been a problem for iPhone users, with complaints raised by some claiming that their smartphone's battery isn't holding as much charge as they would expect over time. While Apple has previously outlined its expectations for how long a battery should last, it has now doubled its claim.

Apple says its batteries for iPhones are designed to hold up to 80% of their original capacity following 500 complete charge cycles, namely from full to empty. Now, Apple told 9to5Mac that the number of cycles the iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Pro are capable of retaining 80% of its charge for is 1,000 complete charging cycles.

The change in battery cycle lifespan is down to the iPhone being used in certain common use cases. Thanks to various improvements to components and its various power management systems, this has allowed Apple to make the change in cycle count.

It also only applies to the iPhone 15 generation of models, with earlier versions still rated to 500 cycles. Apple does say that older models are being checked to see if charge cycle data points are still correct.

Apple introduced new battery health controls in iOS 17 alongside the iPhone 15 launch, including an option to never charge the battery past 80%. The logic is that charging from 0% to 80% is relatively efficient, but the last 20% uses more energy and produces more heat, which can wear the battery down.

Users of the iPhone 15 can see the cycle count for their device by opening Settings then selecting Battery, followed by Battery Health.

It is likely that Apple will keep the higher cycle count for future iPhone releases, but the technology it will use could still change. One rumor claims Apple will use graphene to help reduce overheating issues.

Meanwhile a dubious leak claimed capacities in the iPhone 16 family will be lower than the iPhone 15.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    Does this include the 15 plus and 15 pro max? 

I ask because my 15 pro max has been the best battery on an iPhone I’ve ever had. 
    edited February 20 lolliverjas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 27
    My experience has been great so far. I've had my 15 Pro approximately 5 months now and battery health is still at 100%. I always leave the 80% charge limit turned on, since that mirrors what I do with my MBPs. Battery was manufactured 7/2023 and first use in 9/2023. Cycle count is 123, so it's not like I'm babying the phone - I use it a lot, every day!
    lolliverdk49watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 27
    Why are Apple not bringing the 80% limit option to iPhone 14 or earlier? The hardware will put charging past 80% on hold due to heat or continuity camera streaming, so why not give the user that choice like on iPhone 15?

oh, yes, that’s right. Another one of those nudges to upgrade my hardware… 
    pulseimagesbeowulfschmidtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 27

Users of the iPhone 15 can see the cycle count for their device by opening Settings then selecting Battery, followed by Battery Health. 

I'm not sure why mine would be any different and maybe this is just a mistake, but my 15Pro shows the cycle count under General -> About, and then at the very bottom. It doesn't show the cycle count under Battery or Battery Health. The "cycle count" linked to in the article shows it in the same place as I'm finding it.
    applebynaturejas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Reduction in battery health when charged above 80% is not about heat generated. Charging actually slows down above 80%, so the charger generates less heat as the battery fills up. 

In any LiIon cell there are side reactions that accumulate over time; these side reactions progress more quickly at high states of charge, and at high temperature; that's why staying below 80% prolongs battery life. 
    appleinsideruserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 27
    After more than 1000 charge cycles, my iPhone 12 still had 82% battery capacity left when I switched to the 15, so I think this is mostly about Apple being too "careful" with their previous claims.

But of course, the fact that Apple is willing to increase the claimed battery longevity for the 15-lineup is good news.
    jas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Graeme000 said:

I'm not sure why mine would be any different and maybe this is just a mistake, but my 15Pro shows the cycle count under General -> About, and then at the very bottom. It doesn't show the cycle count under Battery or Battery Health. The "cycle count" linked to in the article shows it in the same place as I'm finding it.
    I don't see Cycle Count in General \ About on my 14Pro.

After searching online, I find that this is evidently only in iPhone 15, and iPhone 14 and below have to install a PowerUtil shortcut to view.  
    edited February 20 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 27
    M68000M68000 Posts: 728member
    To me, battery life is more important than all the camera hype every year.
    jas99pulseimageswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 27
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    As a core phone feature, it's nice to see battery life extended.

Now for silicon-carbon and graphene (although for some reason I thought graphene was already being used). Maybe this year. 
  • Reply 10 of 27
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    My iPhone 14 Pro Max is down to 90% battery health. I’ve never charged it more than once in a 24 hour period. I had it on launch day, so 523 days ago. On that basis the claim of 1000 cycles to 80% certainly seems reasonable.
    jas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Just to add a tally mark: WFH has made it pretty simple to click that "never charge above 80%" box on my 15 Pro. So I did that day 1.

Still listed at 100% capacity and I too purchased it pretty early on after release. Historically, by this time, my iPhone would have dropped a % or two.
    jas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 27
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member
    timpetus said:
    My experience has been great so far. I've had my 15 Pro approximately 5 months now and battery health is still at 100%. I always leave the 80% charge limit turned on, since that mirrors what I do with my MBPs. Battery was manufactured 7/2023 and first use in 9/2023. Cycle count is 123, so it's not like I'm babying the phone - I use it a lot, every day!
    Did the same for my 15 Pro Max and I am quite satisfied with the battery life. 
    jas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Why are Apple not bringing the 80% limit option to iPhone 14 or earlier? The hardware will put charging past 80% on hold due to heat or continuity camera streaming, so why not give the user that choice like on iPhone 15?

Who the fuck wants to only charge their phone to 80%, even when the thing is still operating normally?!?! That is the dumbest thing Apple has ever added. Some self-flagellating nonsense for people who prefer to live like their phone is already 5 years old from day one.

Just use the phone like a normal person for a couple of years, then trade it in for a new one. Never look at nor think about the battery once the entire time.
    edited February 21 williamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 27
    So much for the conspiracy theories about planned obsolescence. Nope. Apple devices have the longest useful lifespan in their product categories, and not surprisingly the highest resale values. They want to make *this* device the best you’ve had, and rest certain you’ll come back when it’s time. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 27

These conspiracy theories are, as always, nonsense. Unless you’re an Apple hardware engineer I doubt you’re in a position to speculate on what sort of comms or feedback monitoring or whatever may make features like these not an option or unreliable on older models. We’ve seen this story before. There certainly isn’t a wax mustache-twirling conspiracy against iPhone 14 owners lol. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 27

Who the fuck wants to only charge their phone to 80%, even when the thing is still operating normally?!?! That is the dumbest thing Apple has ever added. Some self-flagellating nonsense for people who prefer to live like their phone is already 5 years old from day one.

Just use the phone like a normal person for a couple of years, then trade it in for a new one. Never look at nor think about the battery once the entire time.
    While I agree with your course of action (I honestly do not and will not worry about battery longevity), it is still good they added this feature, for those who don’t often replace their device and want to squeeze every ounce out of it. Again, so much for the conspiracy theories on forced upgrades and similar nonsense. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobramuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 17 of 27
    So much for the conspiracy theories about planned obsolescence. Nope. Apple devices have the longest useful lifespan in their product categories, and not surprisingly the highest resale values. They want to make *this* device the best you’ve had, and rest certain you’ll come back when it’s time. 
    Well, the iPhone 6 fiasco was real and made worse by using a battery whose capacity wasn't right for the times. 

Just when people were running their phones for longer on average, more use meant using more cycles, more quickly and bang! Apple got hit. 

The solution was also very poorly communicated to users too. Add to that that Apple had idea that it was best not to be clear on battery capacities etc and it was like a double whammy. 

And all that on mostly 5W chargers (almost trickle charging by today's standards). 

Since then Apple has pulled its finger out somewhat when it comes to batteries and charging but still lags. 

That said, what's not to like about seeing your battery cycle count doubled? 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 18 of 27

It's optional and some people will like to use it. 

I use and abuse my phone, 66W fast charging included. If I'm overnight charging (which is almost never) I have it set to reach 80% and trickle charge the rest.

The thing is that ultra fast charging means you are in complete control and can pull the plug in a very short space of time. 

Official Battery replacement only costs 29€ so I don't have to worry about that. iPhone replacement batteries can be relatively costly so some users may want to try to squeeze as much out of them with little effort. 

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 19 of 27

Who the fuck wants to only charge their phone to 80%, even when the thing is still operating normally?!?! 
    I would like to have the option
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 27
    I made the 80% battery max with Automate and an intelligent plug on my iPhone 14. But I truly don’t understand, as this is a simple software addition, why Apple doesn’t add this to all recent phones. 
    appleinsideruserwatto_cobra