New iPad sizes detailed in anonymous leak

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited February 22

All signs point to multiple iPads launching in the first half of 2024, but a new leak has detailed exactly what customers can expect, at least in terms of dimensions.

A stack of iPad Pros, two gray and one silver, lay on a white table.
iPad Pro and iPad Air could have similar sized lineups

There have been multiple claims stating that the next iPad Air could come in two sizes like the iPad Pro. The new 12.9-inch iPad Air would lack a mini-LED backlight but would otherwise benefit from the larger size.

According to a new leak from an anonymous source speaking to 9to5Mac, the exact dimensions of the new iPad Pros and iPad Airs have been revealed. The iPad Pros are slightly slimmer, and the new larger iPad Air could be using the same chassis as the existing 12.9-inch iPad Pro.

The next-generation 11-inch iPad Air will retain the dimensions of the existing model.

Here are the new dimensions:

• 11-inch iPad Air (current and new): 247.6 mm x 178.5 mm x 6.1 mm

• 11-inch iPad Pro (current): 247.6 mm x 178.5 mm x 5.9 mm

• 11-inch iPad Pro (new): 249.7 mm x 177.5 mm x 5.1 mm

• 12.9-inch iPad Pro (current): 280.6 mm x 214.9 mm x 6.4 mm

• 12.9-inch iPad Pro (new): 281.5 mm x 215.5 mm x 5.0 mm

• 12.9-inch iPad Air (new): 280.6 mm x 214.9 mm x 6.0 mm

Understanding new dimensions

It seems the 12.9-inch iPad Air could use the existing 12.9-inch iPad Pro chassis, while the new iPad Pro models have an entirely new chassis. Apple sometimes recycles case designs, especially when moving designs to lower-priced products.

The 12.9-inch iPad Air is identical in length and width but slightly thinner by 0.4 mm than the iPad Pro. That's such a small margin it could be attributed to rounding error, but it likely indicates the different display technology and not a different case design, but that won't be known until the actual products are in hand.

The updated iPad Pros don't have consistently changing dimensions except for getting thinner by about 1 mm.

The 11-inch iPad Pro gets slightly longer by 2.1 mm, loses a little width by 1 mm, and gets thinner by 0.8 mm. This adjustment doesn't make much sense given that Apple is expected to move the selfie camera to the long side, meaning it likely needs more width, not less.

However, the 11-inch iPad Pro has always been slightly less square than the larger model, which may be attributed to these specific alterations.

A render of an iPad Pro's many display layers
Differences in thickness could be attributed to display technology

The 12.9-inch iPad Pro has an even more confusing dimension change. It's gaining 0.9 mm in length and 0.6 mm in width.

It is inexplicable why the 11-inch iPad Pro would be losing width while the 12.9-inch iPad Pro is gaining width, at least according to this anonymous leak. It seems more likely that the width would need to increase on both models to allow for a landscape-oriented selfie camera.

We're rating this rumor as possible, not likely, if only because it is impossible to verify the accuracy of an unknown source. It seems possible that these metrics could be accurate, but only time will tell.

During a March event, Apple could announce the new iPad Pro and iPad Air lineups. An Apple Event hasn't been announced, but rumors and code seem to indicate new product announcements are due soon.

Rumor Score: Possible

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Early March please to match my buying needs.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    entropys said:
    Early March please to match my buying needs.
    Tim here - no problem. I'll make it so - just for you. 
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 3 of 13
    I very much want the 13" OLED iPad, but I'm guessing the price is going to be ridiculous. They raised the price by $100 when they added mini-LED as a nice little fuck you, can't even imagine what OLED is going to cost. At least another $200-$300 I'm guessing. 

Hence why they are adding a 12.9" iPad Air. Because it's going to be the only affordable way for most people to continue to get their hands on that size.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    Hoping for that flush camera option!

A Nomad leather back that makes it flat at least.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    tht said:
    It shall be called the iPad Flush, for you.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,124member
    • 12-inch iPad Pro (current): 280.6 mm x 214.9 mm x 6.4 mm
    • 12-inch iPad Pro (new): 281.5 mm x 215.5 mm x 5.0 mm
    • 12-inch iPad Air (new): 280.6 mm x 214.9 mm x 6.0 mm

12-inch iPad Pro?
    edited February 21
  • Reply 7 of 13
    flydog said:
    • 12-inch iPad Pro (current): 280.6 mm x 214.9 mm x 6.4 mm
    • 12-inch iPad Pro (new): 281.5 mm x 215.5 mm x 5.0 mm
    • 12-inch iPad Air (new): 280.6 mm x 214.9 mm x 6.0 mm

12-inch iPad Pro?
    Glad it was you who brought it up, not me. Curious case of a rather huge typo in an article about the dimensions of iPads.  o:)

I can totally see the 2024 iPad Pro models being about 20% thinner than the corresponding 2024 iPad Airs. That's an immediately obvious visual, theoretically more pleasing, more premium difference between the Air and Pro models. They need to make the upsell worth it.

But, 5mm is pretty darn thin! If so, hopefully it can maintain its flatness well. Well, obviously, it will have to if Apple want people to buy it at $1500 or so.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Weight is a very important metric for us.
    Lighter is better.
    bandits1
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Why is there still an iPad Air with 19 grams (that's 4 US nickels) difference from the standard iPad?  Mini. iPad. Pro.  Done.  
  • Reply 10 of 13
    jpellino said:
    Why is there still an iPad Air with 19 grams (that's 4 US nickels) difference from the standard iPad?  Mini. iPad. Pro.  Done.  
    The answer is usually about cost. Apple can't build an iPad Air and sell it for $450. $600, yes. $450, no. The iPad 10th gen is thicker, does not have a laminated display and has a lower performance SoC. They want to sell an iPad in the $300 range and an iPad in the $400 range. Their best option is what you see in the current models.

They can probably sell an iPad mini at $400 if they used a non-laminated display and older SoC. Defeaturing it like the iPad 10 is a defeatured iPad Air. Kind of too bad their ebooks initiative is vestigial or obligatory. If they had a decent chunk of the ebook market, that would drive more iPad mini sales. And comic book reading could sell bigger iPads, but Apple has a "strategy" or "App Store" debt with that. So, alas no.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    tht said:

You do realise that's never going to happen right? It's a UX thing.

If it was perfectly flat on the front and back and laid on a flat surface you'd have a hell of a job picking it up. The 'Bump' allows for an additional spacing removing the possibility of a vacuum forming and making the gap somewhere to get a finger nail or more flesh from your fingertips under the iPad/iPhone.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    tht said:

You do realise that's never going to happen right? It's a UX thing.

If it was perfectly flat on the front and back and laid on a flat surface you'd have a hell of a job picking it up. The 'Bump' allows for an additional spacing removing the possibility of a vacuum forming and making the gap somewhere to get a finger nail or more flesh from your fingertips under the iPad/iPhone.
    It would be no different than my iPP10.5. You need to use two hands to pick it up. The iPP10.5 lying screen side down is possibly the worst case. The sloping of the sides makes it hard to pick up. You need to use fingernails. If it was flat sides like the current model? No problem.

And yes, it is a UX thing for me. I want my iPad to lay flush on a table. I do not like it if it is rocking or at an angle, it they do with a camera bump. The solution is to buy a case and make it thicker, but I've used my iPP10.5 naked for 6+ years now. I like the slimness.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    I want a new iPad Mini Gen 7.   I have no reason for any other size iPad.  The Mini is the perfect travel size.  It just needs updating with new screen tech and maybe a M1 processor.  Or the latest A#.  , which I would expect to bring more battery life.