Apple brings live scores to new Apple Sports app

Posted:
in iOS edited March 5

Apple has announced the release of a new, free Apple Sports app for iOS, which displays real-time scores and statistics for MLS, NBA and more.

Apple Sports app displaying sports scores for basketball and soccer with a focus on a live NBA game between the Warriors and Lakers.
The new Apple Sports app presents a scoreboard of results (source: Apple)

Sports results are already a popular use of Apple's Live Activities on the iPhone, but now they also have their own dedicated app.

"We created Apple Sports to give sports fans what they want -- an app that delivers incredibly fast access to scores and stats," Eddy Cue, Apple's senior vice president of Services, said in a statement. "Apple Sports is available for free in the App Store, and makes it easy for users to stay up to date with their favorite teams and leagues."

Available now for free in the US, UK, and Canada, Apple Sports has launched with support for ten sports:

• MLS

• NBA

• NCAA basketball (men's and women's)

• NHL

• Bundesliga

• LaLiga

• Liga MX

• Ligue 1

• Premier League

• Serie A

These are sports that are all currently in season. Apple says that as more sports begin their seasons, they will be added to the app.

Specifically, Apple says that the following are to be added as soon as their seasons begin:

• MLB

• NLF

• NCAAF

• NWSL

• WNBA

Users can select from their favorite leagues, and the also from favorite teams. The iOS app presents a scoreboard which can be customized to show tournaments, teams, and leagues.

The Apple Sports app requires iOS 17.2 or later.

This release follows Apple's expansion of its sports coverage, ranging from the addition of The Athletic to Apple News+, to the filming of the NBA Slam Dunk Contest in 3D.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Correction, *NFL
  • Reply 2 of 10
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    No Widget? That seems odd.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    mike1 said:
    No Widget? That seems odd.
    I installed it and immediately went to install a widget and was shocked not to find one.  Going to leave a note in the Beta Feedback app.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Hope Olympics scores and medals are added this summer. 
  • Reply 5 of 10
    No F1, IndyCar, NHRA, NASCAR... 
    I guess that will be in the Apple Motorsports app.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    harrykatsarosharrykatsaros Posts: 76unconfirmed, member
    I guess this doesn’t apply to me. I’ve been waiting 13 years for Apple to support Australian sports leagues in Siri and looks like I’ll have to keep waiting. The AFL is the 3rd most attended domestic sports league in the world with crowds as large as 90,000 on a semi regular basis. It’s not exactly like we’re talking small amateur stuff here. 

I know there are other apps for specific sports, as there is for AFL, but none of these damn developers support Live Activities. Apple really needs to push devs to take advantage of these APIs. But I would also love to be finally be able to just ask Siri “what’s the score” and have it understand what hell I’m talking about . 
    edited February 21 lolliver
  • Reply 7 of 10
    So far, the Apple Sports app looks pretty basic. It did figure out my favorite teams, I assume because of what teams I follow in Apple News. Odd that you can't add other favorite teams from leagues that are not in season, like NFL.

For a more complete sports app that has quick access to scores, includes sports news, and has widgets, I recommend theScore app.
    edited February 21
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Hopefully a stand alone app means we can disable the sports content from the new ATV sidebar UI, which cannot be removed currently, despite having zero interest in sports content. 
  • Reply 9 of 10
    No Dynamic Island. 
    No live updates on Lock Screen. 

Yes during a live event 
  • Reply 10 of 10
    So far, the Apple Sports app looks pretty basic. It did figure out my favorite teams, I assume because of what teams I follow in Apple News. Odd that you can't add other favorite teams from leagues that are not in season, like NFL.

For a more complete sports app that has quick access to scores, includes sports news, and has widgets, I recommend theScore app.
    Ayup. Pretty bare bones at this point; many sports in season right now aren't there. Looks a lot like a beta product at this point. For people that say "Apple doesn't release things that aren't ready" here's an example of that being a lie.
    muthuk_vanalingam