Apple designed its new Sports app to be fast and simple

Posted:
in iOS edited March 5

Apple's own Eddy Cue says the new Apple Sports app is designed to get sports fans the information they want in a simple yet intuitive design.

Image Credit: Tim Cook (via X)
Image Credit: Tim Cook (via X)

On Wednesday, Apple announced the release of a free Sports app for iOS that displays real-time scores and stats for MLS, NBA, and more. The app is designed to relay information quickly and cleanly, much the way Apple's Stocks and Weather apps are.

Eddy Cue, Apple's senior vice president of services, told Fast Company about Apple's goals for the app.

"We're not trying to have you spend 30 minutes on the app. You can spend five seconds to go look at the score, or you might spend 30 seconds, or you might spend three minutes going play-by-play because it's the end of the game. It's all about that. It's getting you in, giving you what you need, and doing it really quickly."

In addition to having an easy-to-navigate interface, the Sports app also supports Live Activities. These notifications are designed to display live updated information in a pop-up or on the Lock Screen that remains visible until dismissed.

Tim Cook also praised Apple Sports app's simplicity in a post to X on Wednesday.

The new Apple Sports iPhone app makes following your favorite teams and leagues fast and simple. I can't wait to use it during the 2024 @MLS Season, which kicks off tonight between Inter Miami CF and Real Salt Lake on #MLSSeasonPass! pic.twitter.com/ZwMApjyKv7

-- Tim Cook (@tim_cook)

The Apple Sports app is part of Apple's growing slate of sports-related services.

Apple is starting the second year of its ten-year exclusive deal with MLS. Reportedly, the first season added almost a million subscribers to Apple TV+.

As the MLS season starts, Apple announced that Season Pass users can watch on Apple Vision Pro -- and will soon also get a 3D immersive film of the highlights of 2023's championship games.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Uh...I'm assuming that not including the NFL is a temporary thing? Can't even search for an NFL team on the app.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Hopefully Apple Watch support is coming.
    gregoriusm
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Yeah, my only critique would be to add the NFL scores.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    Live sports information online?

Why didn’t anyone else think of that?

Also, leaving out the NFL, CFB, NASCAR & Champions League (and others?) at launch is wacky.
    edited February 21
  • Reply 5 of 22
    So simple, there is no widget feature. Or notifications. Or...
    mike1cpsro
  • Reply 6 of 22
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    msuberly said:
    So simple, there is no widget feature. Or notifications. Or...

I also said that in a post in a different article about the app. I presume there's one coming, but until then, it's pretty useless.
    No setting to enable Live Activities in the app's settings either.
    edited February 21
  • Reply 7 of 22
    mrshowmrshow Posts: 164member
    I love that you can turn off all the gambling bullshit. 
    mike1pscooter63
  • Reply 8 of 22
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,200member
    So simple, I don't see what purpose it serves.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    Pretty bare bones but it sounds like that was the intent.  
    edited February 21
  • Reply 10 of 22
    great, now let me remove sports from the new ATV sidebar interface. Zero interest 
    wonkothesane
  • Reply 11 of 22
    Live sports information online?

Why didn’t anyone else think of that?

Also, leaving out the NFL, CFB, NASCAR & Champions League (and others?) at launch is wacky.

Likely just temporary. Probably still negotiating licensing or sorting out other technical issues to receive data in real-time.

• Reply 12 of 22

great, now let me remove sports from the new ATV sidebar interface. Zero interest 

Yah, it's kind of frustrating that they push that onto users with no option to hide it, eh?

gregoriusmStrangeDays
  • Reply 13 of 22
    When I downloaded it it already had my two favorite teams preselected! How is that?
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Wesley HilliardWesley Hilliard Posts: 190member, administrator, moderator, editor
    When I downloaded it it already had my two favorite teams preselected! How is that?
    The Apple News sports section or Apple TV favorite sports options sync with this app.

neverindoubt said:
    If a sport you follow is missing it's likely because it isn't in season. American Football will likely show up before the fall before pre season. NASCAR may or may not be added, that's a big question mark. But Tennis and other sports should eventually show up.

I expect this app will gain access to a lot of content from other Apple Services like News. But for now it's a good start with this clean interface.
    gregoriusmstompy
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Is there a reason the gambling/betting info is in there prominently by default? Seems very un-Apple.
  • Reply 16 of 22
     much the way Apple's Stocks and Weather apps are.” Comparison to Weather not a confidence booster. Will the scores be approximate? The scheduling on the right days? Oh, and how whack-tarded will things be when they incorporate weather forecasts into the game schedules. 🤦‍♂️
  • Reply 17 of 22
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Like the clean, ad-free interface, but it'd be nice to be able to check the standings for a league.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    Olympics would be nice. 
  • Reply 19 of 22
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    auxio said:
    Like the clean, ad-free interface, but it'd be nice to be able to check the standings for a league.

You can. It's the first thing that pops up when you click on a game that hasn't happened yet and it's below the info for an in-progress or played game.
    auxio
  • Reply 20 of 22
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,874member
    If you don't see it (your league) is not in season or more importantly the rights to display the results logos haven't been agreed to.
    edited February 22