iPhone 17 and iPhone 17 Plus rumored to get Always-On and ProMotion displays

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 27

A new industry report says that Apple will bring its previously Pro-only Always-On and 120Hz ProMotion screen refreshing to the base iPhone models in 2025.

An iPhone OLED screen
An iPhone OLED screen

After introducing 120Hz ProMotion with the iPad Pro back in 2017, Apple brought it to the iPhone with the iPhone 13 Pro in 2021, giving it a faster, smoother feel when scrolling. Since then, it has remained a feature of only the higher-end Pro models of the iPhone, but industry sources say this will change in 2025.

According to The Elec, the iPhone 17 and iPhone 17 Plus will both get OLED displays using low-temperature polycrystalline oxide (LPTO) panels. These panels are what allow the screen refresh to go up to 120Hz when needed, giving it what Apple calls ProMotion.

The same panels can also be slowed down to just 1Hz when necessary. This is how Apple's Always-On displays work.

Whether Apple does this for the 2025 iPhone range reportedly depends, however, on display manufacturer BOE. While the firm has delivered LTPO screens to manufacturers such as Huawei, it has only sent Apple a sample.

That sample was sent in late 2023, which The Elec says means it would not be possible to ramp up manufacture in time for the iPhone 16 range. There are also seemingly doubts over BOE's ability to meet Apple's requirements, and the publication says that Apple may even assist BOE with what it describes as more training.

Separately, BOE has reportedly had problems delivering OLED screens for the forthcoming iPhone SE 4. BOE has generally had a stormy relationship with Apple, including an incident where it was allegedly caught making an unauthorized change to the design of the iPhone 13 displays.

Note that The Elec is a decent source of information from within Apple's supply chain, but it is less accurate in predictions it forms about what Apple will do.

Rumor Score: Likely

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    puiz666puiz666 Posts: 19unconfirmed, member
    What always-on display? I have a 15 Pro and an “occasionally-on (whenever it feels like)” display. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 8
    iPhone 16 is not even out. And now, we are talking about iPhone 17..... 

If 120Hz is true, it is already overdue.. It is about time. 

BOE..... Well... Apple is a control freak. Who works in this field, everybody knows that Apple is a control freak. Apple knows every display´s supplier and their processes better than their suppliers.
    Apple just gives receipts what raw materials to be used and process parameters to be set. 
    Therefore, I do not understand why BOE can´t catch up with all requirements and solutions given by Apple. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 8
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,647member
    I just bought a 15.  I want iPhone 18 news!
    pulseimageswilliamlondontyler82
  • Reply 4 of 8
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,874member
    iPhone 16 is not even out. And now, we are talking about iPhone 17..... 

If 120Hz is true, it is already overdue.. It is about time. 

BOE..... Well... Apple is a control freak. Who works in this field, everybody knows that Apple is a control freak. Apple knows every display´s supplier and their processes better than their suppliers.
    Apple just gives receipts what raw materials to be used and process parameters to be set. 
    Therefore, I do not understand why BOE can´t catch up with all requirements and solutions given by Apple. 

Apple does more than that, Apple doesn't just let them run off and do what they want, Apple acting similar to Architects and Engineers, if the builder can't build it right they get replaced. https://appleinsider.com/articles/15/06/10/apple-fires-campus-2-contractors-as-spaceship-faces-delays-spiraling-costs
    edited February 27 williamlondonForumPost
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Sheesh, its about time for the 120 hz display. Others have only been putting those in their mid range phones for the past 12 years.

And honestly, after comparing the 14 Pro Max I had to the Samsung S22 Ultra I just bought, I'm not so sure Apple's screens are 120 hz. Maybe 90 at best. 

I don't understand why Apple takes so long to adopt certain technologies. So long, that I moved on...after 14 years of being a loyal Apple customer. I knew the moment I found out Jony Ive had checked out that Apple wasn't gonna be the same. But i stuck around anyway. In the end, I was right. They've been going down hill since the iPhone 7. I was so close to upgrading to the 15 Pro Max. I'm glad I didn't. So many issues. I'm enjoying my 2 year old refurbished Samsung more than my past 4 new iPhones. 
    Japheywilliamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 8
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,874member
    FLWXPX said:
    Sheesh, its about time for the 120 hz display. Others have only been putting those in their mid range phones for the past 12 years.

And honestly, after comparing the 14 Pro Max I had to the Samsung S22 Ultra I just bought, I'm not so sure Apple's screens are 120 hz. Maybe 90 at best. 

I don't understand why Apple takes so long to adopt certain technologies. So long, that I moved on...after 14 years of being a loyal Apple customer. I knew the moment I found out Jony Ive had checked out that Apple wasn't gonna be the same. But i stuck around anyway. In the end, I was right. They've been going down hill since the iPhone 7. I was so close to upgrading to the 15 Pro Max. I'm glad I didn't. So many issues. I'm enjoying my 2 year old refurbished Samsung more than my past 4 new iPhones. 
    Phoning home AI must be nice, away from the cell tower?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    FLWXPX said:

Are you concerned at all about android security?  That is the one thing that has kept me on iphone.  However,  security aside,  the latest Samsung phones are really impressive.  If android catches up in the actual and perceived security department i might have to jump ship and go android.  It’s still really tempting as it is.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    M68000 said:
    FLWXPX said:

Are you concerned at all about android security?  That is the one thing that has kept me on iphone.  However,  security aside,  the latest Samsung phones are really impressive.  If android catches up in the actual and perceived security department i might have to jump ship and go android.  It’s still really tempting as it is.
    I used to be, especially in the early days of using iPhone. That's what kept me there for so long, too. But over time, Android/Google/Samsung have come a long way. Besides, I don't do anything with any of my devices that would get me in a big security mess. 

The last 4 or 5 iPhones became so dull and with the help of a friend with her Samsung, I saw Android really is better in a lot of ways now.

I always bought the newest iPhones on day one, but lately they've scared me away from doing that (see iPhone 15 Pro.) So I didnt want to start with the S24 Ultra. I needed to see if I liked the Android platform first. So I bought a refurbished S22 Ultra, which showed up in immaculate condition. It looks brand new. I've been using it for 2 weeks now and I absolutely LOVE it!! I just traded in my Apple Watch 7 for a Samsung Galaxy Watch 6 Classic. Got $250 for the Apple. I'm about to list my iPhone 14 Pro Max on ebay soon. That's how confident I am that I'm staying in the Android world. It truly is amazing! I should've done it years ago!

Don't get me wrong, I still love Apple. I'm keeping my iMac, MacBook Air and iPad Air, but as for daily drivers, Android just gives me so much more freedom. 
    williamlondon