Watch 51 classic movies for free on Apple TV+

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple TV+ has made available 51 movies ranging from "American Sniper" to "Zodiac," all for free for a limited time to subscribers.

Collage of various movie posters featuring titles and actors, including action, comedy, and drama genres.
Films from Apple's free movie selection

Apple
has occasionally made one-off films like "Silver Linings Playbook," or series of movies like "The Hunger Games," available for free to subscribers. Plus it's sometimes allowed free access to its series for anyone, particularly during COVID.

Now, however, it's gone further than ever before and added 51 movies free to subscribers. It's a curious number, and presumably the result of which movies fell under a deal Apple TV+ has made.

Note that the movies are free only for Apple TV+ subscribers, and also that at present the offer is solely available in the US. The films in the bundle are:

• 300 (3D)

• 21 Jump Street

• The Accountant

• American Sniper

• Argo

• Bad Boys

• Black Hawk Down

• The Bodyguard

• Captain Phillips

• Catch Me If You Can

• Con Air

• Draft Day

• Edge of Tomorrow (3D)

• Failure to Launch

• Fast & Furious 6

• Fast Five

• Ferris Bueller's Day Off

• Fight Club

• Good Burger

• Gravity (3D)

• Horrible Bosses

• How To Lose A Guy In in 10 Days

• The Hurt Locker

• I Am Legend

• Jurassic World (3D)

• Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (3D)

• Kill Bill Volume 1

• Kill Bill Volume 2

• Knocked Up

• Max Max: Fury Road (3D)

• Mean Girls

• Men In Black

• Minority Report

• Old School

• The Prestige

• The Proposal

• Saving Private Ryan

• Spider-Man

• Spider-Man 2

• Star Trek

• Star Trek Beyond (3D)

• Star Trek: Into Darkness (3D)

• Titanic

• Training Day

• Troy

• Two Weeks Notice

• The Wolf of Wall Street

• Wyatt Earp

• Zodiac

• Zombieland

• Zoolander

While this offer is being branded as "Great Movies on Apple TV+," these films are all ones that are released via what used to be called the iTunes Movies Store. So it's a regular sales promotion rather than, for example, an indication that Apple TV+ is buying the libraries of other streamers.

Read on AppleInsider

hecalder

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    As a certified old person, I object to calling these movies "classic".  Not because they aren't good, most of them are, but because they are much younger than me...
    cincyteewilliamlondonlesterkrimbaughmattinozlowededwookieviclauyyccarstenl.byronl
  • Reply 2 of 12
    cincyteecincytee Posts: 404member
    As a certified old person, I object to calling these movies "classic".  Not because they aren't good, most of them are, but because they are much younger than me...
    I'm with you!

Glad to see Wyatt Earp, because, you know, "I'm your huckleberry."

lesterkrimbaughbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Sad it's not in Canada :( 
    edited March 1 williamlondonM68000gregoriusmbyronl
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Not in the UK either. 
    williamlondonappleinsideruser
  • Reply 5 of 12
    hecalderhecalder Posts: 11member
    Finally a lot of movies from the classics and modern that I like to binge watch when there is nothing else to watch. I really like the selection. 46 out of 51 movies yeah! 
    williamlondonbyronl
  • Reply 6 of 12
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,307member
    I would have to agree that the word “classic” is grossly misused here. Obviously opinions will differ, but I’d have to say I’d be hard-pressed to refer to any more than a half-dozen of these films as “classics,” and even that’s pushing it. Which is not to say that most of them aren’t decent-to-very-enjoyable, it’s to say that a true “classic” goes beyond just being “good” in the eyes of a majority of moviegoers.

It occurs to me that it is possible that the word “classic” is now used as code for anything “old” as in “came out more than 10 years ago.”

That is absolutely not what “classic” means.
    edited March 1 beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Interesting that most folks jumped on the “classic” term being (mis)applied here. For me, what jumped out was “free”. Free, with subscription, isn’t really free.
    More appropriate to say Apple has added 51 movies to their catalog of shows and movies, which we already know are for subscribers only.
    M68000
  • Reply 8 of 12
    exsangusexsangus Posts: 29member
    If you thought Mad Max was good, you’ll love Max Max!
    williamlondonbloggerblog
  • Reply 9 of 12
    How is that free if you need a subscription?
    M68000williamlondonbloggerblog
  • Reply 10 of 12
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    stevemebs said:
    Sad it's not in Canada :( 
    Sadder that the title and first few paragraphs of this article don't mention it's only for the 4% of the world called Americans.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    8002580025 Posts: 175member
    Yes “classic” is an overused and inappropriate description. But not nearly as bad of the excessive use of the adjective “amazing”. Find another suprulative!!!!
    williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 12
    cincytee said:
    I'm with you!

Glad to see Wyatt Earp, because, you know, "I'm your huckleberry."

You are thinking of the movie "Tombstone."