If everyone lived like you, how many planets would we need?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    If I choose to live the good life I only use one earth.

In a large cottage with electricity in a thai jungle with my wife and our child eating good food with moderate average of animal products.

One problem: Not so sure I would want to be there in ten years.

Strange idea. I would either want to live in the center of Copenhagen (like now), eastern end of central Berlin, a certain area of Tel Aviv or in an exotic jungle. No place for surburbs in my life.
  • Reply 42 of 55
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

EDIT: And if I'm a vegan, living in a small town in a green residence with no electricity and I never travel anywhere, I managed to get it down to 1.

hmm. wouldn't that mean that by default this website thinks we need more than one planet already? if you have to set the lowest settings on everything to get it to 1 (can't be under 1) then by their rules we can't all be living on this planet as is.

we have millions of people pushing well over 1 planet. anyone able to get their score under 1?
  • Reply 43 of 55
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    4.5 planets and I want more money pumped into the space program to seriously pursue colonozing the moon, mars, and Titan.
  • Reply 44 of 55
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    Quote:

CATEGORY GLOBAL HECTARES

FOOD 1.5

MOBILITY 0.6

SHELTER 0.5

GOODS/SERVICES 0.8

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 3.4

IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 5.3 GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.

WORLDWIDE, THERE EXIST 1.8 BIOLOGICALLY PRODUCTIVE GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 1.9 PLANETS.

I was quite suprise by this. I guess that is what a student gets you

low-fi
  • Reply 45 of 55
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders the White

Before you move out from your parents house according to this test you have used your share. What did you do to get born by americans instead of, say, a chinese couple? I thought the idea of capitalism was that you earned what you get

1) I'm Australian. Duh, it says so next to my nick. How dare you mistake me for an american!

2) Capitalism has nothing in it about getting what you earned. It's about improving efficiency by competition and distributing wealth relativly evenly so that as many people benefit, use of resources is increased etc.

3) I'm sorry, do you have a point? SHOULD we all live as equals in an utopian (no-place) paradise?

4) The Jungle: nice place to visit, bad place to live?

Barto
  • Reply 46 of 55
    I think the concept is a little suspect since farmers in America get paid by the government not to produce. There is a lot of farmland that isn't being used.
  • Reply 47 of 55
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

1) I'm Australian. Duh, it says so next to my nick. How dare you mistake me for an american!

My bad

Quote:

2) Capitalism has nothing in it about getting what you earned. It's about improving efficiency by competition and distributing wealth relativly evenly so that as many people benefit, use of resources is increased etc.

Capitalism do the first thing and the last thing (mostly) but not the second.

Quote:

3) I'm sorry, do you have a point? SHOULD we all live as equals in an utopian (no-place) paradise?

Nah. "Every man is born equal". Just make that a promise instead of a given. Let everyone have the same starting point and I would be happy. What people do with their lifes is none of my buisness.

Quote:

4) The Jungle: nice place to visit, bad place to live?

Unless YOU ARE THE WHITE.
  • Reply 48 of 55
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    2.6 planets, living as a university student with no car in the Great White North.
  • Reply 49 of 55
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    turns out they'er just lazy with their math. you can't score under 1 planet (which you should be able to) but it will give you numbers low enough so that if you did the math, it works out that way.

Quote:

CATEGORY GLOBAL HECTARES

FOOD 0.4

MOBILITY 0

SHELTER 0.2

GOODS/SERVICES 0.2

TOTAL FOOTPRINT 0.8

IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 2.5 GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.

WORLDWIDE, THERE EXIST 1.8 BIOLOGICALLY PRODUCTIVE GLOBAL HECTARES PER PERSON.

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 1.0 PLANETS.

in this case, i used 0.8, worldwide there are 1.8 per person, so it would be a bit under 0.5 planets with those settings.

i don't think you can score under 1 planet if you're from the US. have to pick another country.
  • Reply 50 of 55
    We need the gravity of one planet
  • Reply 51 of 55
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders the White

We need the gravity of one planet

DUDE...The best weight loss scheme ever....move to the moon. Holy crap that's genius it just might work.
  • Reply 52 of 55
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

I win I win!!!

I answered the questions to get the most points! I got it to say I would need 67 acres and 15.1 planets.

This is fun...now I need to just go back again and say I have more people in my household so my score will be even higher.

I will get the high score.. that is the point of ever game right?

Nick

actually, i believe the highest score is 30 planets -- also less people in a large house is good, i mean bad, for the enviroment
  • Reply 53 of 55
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    2.1 planets

I feel like a dirty hippie. I wanted at least 5.
  • Reply 54 of 55
    CATEGORY\tACRES

FOOD\t6.9

MOBILITY\t0

SHELTER\t8.9

GOODS/SERVICES\t8.2

TOTAL FOOTPRINT\t24

IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 24 ACRES PER PERSON.

WORLDWIDE, THERE EXIST 4.5 BIOLOGICALLY PRODUCTIVE ACRES PER PERSON.

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 5.4 PLANETS.

• Reply 55 of 55
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

This is assanine. This is a perfect example of disconnected, semantical process devoid of any common sense. Oh, and it is from the Earth Day Network. Hmmmm, I wonder what their agenda is?

He's right . . . eat up boys!!!!!

it aint gonna to last forever . . . yeeeeharw