iPhone 16 Pro Capture button shown off in new CAD leak

Posted:
in iPhone

A series of renders claimed to be of the iPhone 16 Pro back up questionable claims of a Capture button, but also suggest the existing Action button will be made larger.

Side view of a modern smartphone showcasing its volume buttons and sleek design with a dual-lens camera system on the back.
Mockup of the iPhone 16 Pro

Following leaks of the forthcoming iPhone SE 4, and of the 12.9-inch iPad Pro, there are now four drawings that purportedly show the iPhone 16 Pro.

Revealed by 91mobiles on Friday, and said to come from unspecified industry sources, the drawings show a slightly larger chassis than on the current iPhone 15 Pro.

The publication says it has separately also been given the dimensions of the phone. It is 149.6mm tall, by 71.4 mm wide, and 8.4mm deep.

If correct, that will make the iPhone 16 Pro 3mm taller than its predecessor, 0.8mm taller, and 0.15mm thicker. With a larger chassis and thinner bezels, Friday's report expects that the screen will be a 6.3-inch one.

Purported leak of the iPhone 16 Pro
Purported leak of the iPhone 16 Pro

The leaked CAD drawings appear to back up previous claims that Apple is adding a Capture button. They also contradict some previous rumors concerning the Action button, and say that it may become slightly larger after all.

Other recent rumors, although debunked, have claimed that the rear cameras will be redesigned into a shape resembling a fidget-spinner, which this leak completely torpedoes. The new CAD leaks back up the expectation that Apple will stick with the current camera layout.

Two side views of the iPhone 16 Pro, according to the leak
Two side views of the iPhone 16 Pro, according to the leak

As ever with renders, they appear authentic, but the provenance of the imagery isn't clear. Typically renders come from the manufacturers of accessories, such as cases, and may be as much based on speculation as on any solid information from Apple.

Rumor Score: Possible

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    noelosnoelos Posts: 127member
    Thickness of the chassis is interesting but so is the depth of the camera bump. Is it deeper of the same as 15 Pro?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    thttht Posts: 5,530member
    Where’s the “capture” button in the drawings?
    fred1
  • Reply 3 of 16
    rockawrockaw Posts: 23member
    I'm hoping the capture button is the button shown on the lower right side. That's the natural place for taking a photo. 

I set the action button to the capture function when I got the iPhone 15 Pro, but stopped using it because it's awkward to reach to the left side of the phone when taking a photo.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    citpekscitpeks Posts: 247member
    Am I the only one who wishes Apple would move the power button back to the top edge of the phone?  Like it was on past phones, and how it has remained on the iPads?

I curse Apple every time I unintentionally take a screenshot after trying to put the phone to sleep.

Putting the power button directly opposite the volume buttons in an invitation to make such mistakes, if one need to grasp both sides to gain some leverage.
    thtdamn_its_hotretrogustocaladaniancommand_fgrandact73
  • Reply 5 of 16
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,121member
    citpeks said:
    Am I the only one who wishes Apple would move the power button back to the top edge of the phone?  Like it was on past phones, and how it has remained on the iPads?

I curse Apple every time I unintentionally take a screenshot after trying to put the phone to sleep.

Putting the power button directly opposite the volume buttons in an invitation to make such mistakes, if one need to grasp both sides to gain some leverage.
    I agree 100%. The latest iPad Mini has the power button on top so why not the iPhone. 
    quakerotiscaladaniancommand_f
  • Reply 6 of 16
    wow! It looks like a smartphone.

• Reply 7 of 16

fred1 said:
    citpeks said:

I agree 100%. The latest iPad Mini has the power button on top so why not the iPhone. 
    Let's get rid of the camera and flashlight buttons being defaults. I would gladly turn those off in a heartbeat.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,503member
    citpeks said:

You are not alone. The side buttons frequently interfere with my ability to handle my phone without triggering an unintentional action. I’ve taken plenty of odd photos of obscure things like my hand, leg, edge of my pocket, and magnetic docking station while holding my phone. I’ve also had several situations where I find the volume is turned all the way up or all the way down. I’ve had a couple of occasions where the phone is in a state where it’s asking me to trigger an emergency call. My partner actually triggered an emergency call while driving but was lucky enough to receive a callback to see whether it was intentional or not.

In Apple’s defense, some of my inadvertent side-button triggering issues are probably due to the way I handle my phone. I’m extremely careful not to touch the screen with my fingers so all of my grip is on the edge of the phone/case. Maybe Apple expects iPhone users to hold their phones like they hold a TV remote, with their fingers and thumbs firmly grasping the back and screen. This results in a greasy, fingerprint covered, smeared screen with layers of who knows what that is rather sickening to observe. Apple never seems to get some things right, and putting more side buttons on a glass slab that you have to hold by the sides is a dumb move. At the very least, recess the buttons or do something to avoid unintentional triggering. To add insult to injury, the latest Apple TV remote, which I despise in different ways compared to its predecessor, has a side button so you can summon Siri at the most inopportune times.  

Yeah, yeah, yeah, it’s not an Apple problem. I’m obviously holding it wrong. My bad.
    muthuk_vanalingamcommand_f
  • Reply 9 of 16
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member
    fred1 said:
    citpeks said:

I think it is great where it is. I don’t know about you guys but I hold my iPhone with one hand (L) that gives me access to all buttons with one hand.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,304member
    Another series of minor incremental updates? How about a much stronger optical zoom and/or multi-day battery life? Unless Apple surprises us, my 14 Pro continues to look real good. 
    edited March 10
  • Reply 11 of 16
    M68000M68000 Posts: 774member
    I realize that a capture button may be convenient to some.  But,  not sure i like having another button on the phone.  The reasons are both appearance and it may lead to people clicking the wrong buttons sometimes.    The new action button seems clever although i don’t have a phone with it yet.

Further,  if a capture button leads to people taking more pictures,  maybe it will help Apple upsell more cloud storage since the picture files seem to be getting bigger in many cases.  Wonder if they planned this.  Lol.
    edited March 10
  • Reply 12 of 16
    S8ER95ZS8ER95Z Posts: 11member
    I’m sure I'm alone here but the action button is in an awful spot and disabled on my phone. Just give me volume up/down and thats it. I don’t want another button over there at all and I pray I’ll be able to disable it if they do add one. 😞 
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 13 of 16
    rockawrockaw Posts: 23member
    citpeks said:

You and everybody else. 

The top was so much better for the power button.

grandact73
  • Reply 14 of 16
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,866member
    Uh… the placement goes right where your fingers go to hold the phone? 

How about just above the sleep button? 

Better yet, stop adding buttons. Sheesh. 
    edited March 10 damn_its_hot
  • Reply 15 of 16
    kdupuis77kdupuis77 Posts: 120member
    Umm, that "render" at the top of the article is a terribly done photoshop (more like MS Paint lol). You can clearly tell someone just copied the action button and pasted another one to the left of the original. Zoom in and look at the splotchiness around the button, you can't miss it. Not even close guys lol.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    thttht Posts: 5,530member
    kdupuis77 said:
    Umm, that "render" at the top of the article is a terribly done photoshop (more like MS Paint lol). You can clearly tell someone just copied the action button and pasted another one to the left of the original. Zoom in and look at the splotchiness around the button, you can't miss it. Not even close guys lol.
    Yeah, the "render" was just a filler image for the article, and made no attempt at rendering what is the real leak, the CAD drawings, which does not have two buttons there.

My question regarding the capture button is still left unanswered. It could be the bottom button on the right side, below the standby button. But, that's the location of the mmWave antenna window on 5G iPhones. So, is it a "Capture" button or a 5G mmWave window? If a capture button, where does the mmWave antenna window go?

The rumor for the capture button is that it supposed to be like a multi-level camera capture button: press halfway to focus, press all the way to take a picture or to start a video. The "button" looks flush though, and that would make a multi-level button hard to use. Maybe it is a Touch ID button/surface for multi-factor authentication? Or perhaps it is a force touch button with a small haptic driver? The button housing has a round edge, so, designed for pressing in. Perhaps just a plain old button.

If Apple goes all-in on visionOS, headsets and glasses, it could represent some big changes to iPhones, iPads and Macs. They should have 2 FaceTime cameras that are 3 inches apart. The two back cameras should be 3 inches apart as well. This would provide optimum 3D FaceTime, images and video. So instead of a pill box cutout of the display, it could be two dog eared notches in the corners. ;) But there has to be IR sensors and projectors, so, it could mean a return of a bezel! 😉