Parallels Desktop updated with better gaming performance & improved Clipboard

Posted:
in Mac Software edited March 9

Parallels Desktop now improves clipboard syncing between the Mac and Windows or Linux virtual machines, fixes some game graphics bugs, and gives users more customization controls.

Following an update earlier this year to bring full Windows 11 support to its Desktop program, Parallels Desktop has been updated to version 19.3. The new release brings some further refinements, fixes, and improved performance to the utility program, aimed at users who need to work in different OS environments on their Apple Silicon Macs.

One of the biggest new features in the Pro and Business versions is improved clipboard syncing between the Mac and the OSes running in Parallels, making copying and pasting more seamless. Users can choose to enable two-way syncing, one-way syncing, or disable the clipboard syncing entirely.

Linux virtual machines will also get the improved clipboard syncing, along with easier Ubuntu installations using an Express mode, and smoother scrolling when using a trackpad.

For gamers, bug fixes in version 19.3 will fix graphics issues with some Windows games, including "Dark Souls II," "Genshin Impact," and "Rise of Kingdoms." However, Parallels warns that there are still some limitations, such as DirectX 12 titles and some with anti-cheat software being problematic.

Finally, the settings for virtual machines have been given a new and easier user interface to make choosing user preferences simpler. This includes automatic recommendations based on the characteristics of the virtual machine, along with the option of manual control.

Parallels Desktop supports the latest M3-based Macs, with the Standard Edition aimed at home users costing $99.99, while the Business Edition starts at $149.99 per year, and the Pro Edition is priced at $199.99 per year. A license for Windows 11, Windows 11 Pro, or Windows 11 Enterprise is not included and will need to be purchased separately.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    So, UTM is looking kind of interesting.  And free.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,439moderator
    UTM isn't good for things that need hardware acceleration, which includes UI these days. At 13:10 in the following video, it shows 3D performance on UTM vs Parallels:

Apple showcased Parallels at their event and likely helped improve their graphics performance. VMWare is free and has some GPU acceleration but slower than Parallels.

If Parallels teamed up with Codeweavers, they could potentially build an even better solution and run select 3D apps in the host OS with full memory and DX12 support while running supporting apps in the VM.
    chasm
  • Reply 3 of 8
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,502member
    If you're <word missing> enough to jailbreak your iPhone, I guess. I have done that in the past, wouldn't even think of doing it today. Too many threats now.

UTM doesn't do everything Parallels does, but OTOH not everybody needs all that, so I'm glad it's there -- as I am with the other competitors.

As for "free," price has rarely been the major consideration for me in determining the value of a thing; it's what it will do for me and for how long that matters most, most of the time.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    I’d settle for Parallels fixing the annoying mouse click bug that’s existed for years. I’m regularly experiencing this at work whereby mouse clicks aren’t registered or the mouse up event isn’t registered. At least I can resolve by shutting the VM down or restarting it.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    I wish Parallels was more forthcoming about the need for a Windows License - which would add about $200 - or a total of $300 - to get you up under Windows OS. They do say you'll need a Windows LIcense - but it's twice the price of Parallels itself. You could get a used PC for that. There are occasional sales for the Windows OS - down to about $30. But their description always says it the sale version won't work under Parallels.

tenthousandthings
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I wish Parallels was more forthcoming about the need for a Windows License - which would add about $200 - or a total of $300 - to get you up under Windows OS. They do say you'll need a Windows LIcense - but it's twice the price of Parallels itself. You could get a used PC for that. There are occasional sales for the Windows OS - down to about $30. But their description always says it the sale version won't work under Parallels.
    I bought a W11 license for about $40 last fall and had no trouble using it with Parallels. I find it more annoying that they limit the permanent license to 8GB.
    edited March 11
  • Reply 7 of 8
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,164member
    ... also of note in the read me is sunsetting support for OS-X 10.5 ~ 10.8 in the next update citing low usage ...
    I've never been able to get coherence working in the venerable Snow Leaopard Server and ask if that may be part of low usage rates ?

Access to legacy software within a newer macOS had been the raison d'etre for licensing for me, including access to legacy proprietary apps and historical data assets and many infrequently used if useful apps that moved to subscription service making them unreasonable to license as a result...

edited March 11
  • Reply 8 of 8
    kdupuis77kdupuis77 Posts: 145member

On the bright side, on an M-series Mac you would join the Windows Insider Preview Program (for free) and download Windows 11 ARM directly through Parallels. You can do the vast majority of what most need without registering. My OCD got the better of me and I was able to purchase a Windows 11 Pro OEM Key on the cheap (bought mien form PromoKeys last year for like $10 I think - https://www.promokeys.net/Windows11Pro) and update your key inside Windows nice and easy.