New iPad Pro, iPad Air, Apple Pencil, Magic Keyboard are still on the way

Posted:
in iPad edited March 14

After the release of MacBook Air with M3, a report insists that updated iPad models are still on the way, accompanied by new accessories.

10-generation iPad in a Magic Keyboard case, displaying a design-focused presentation with an Apple Pencil attached at the top

Apple was expected to launch a number of new products in quick succession, with the MacBook Air and iPad Pro changes arriving at around the same time. Though MacBook Air with M3 did launch in the first week of March, customers are still waiting on the rest of the rumored items.

Writing in Sunday's "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg, Mark Gurman insists Apple is preparing to launch updated models of the iPad Pro and iPad Air, along with a redesigned Magic Keyboard and yet another version of the Apple Pencil. These changes are expected sometime around the end of March or in April, with a possible revision to iPadOS 17.4 to ensure compatibility.

The long-rumored 12.9-inch iPad Air is expected to debut alongside the updated iPad Pros, further blurring the line between the two product classes.

One of the anticipated changes coming to the iPad Air and Pro lineup is expected to be moving the FaceTime Camera in all models to the long side of the devices, which makes more sense for FaceTime calls. The current 10th-generation iPad was the first model to move the camera to a landscape orientation, and code within iPadOS 17.4 suggests that cameras will be in that position when users set up FaceTime on the as-yet-unreleased models.

The moving of the camera to the landscape orientation may come at a cost, though. The existing iPad Pros have a magnetic attachment on the landscape side where the Apple Pencil can both attach and charge, and it is unclear if that feature could remain if the front-facing camera moves to that position.

The biggest change to the updated Pro models will be a move to OLED screens, which may also trigger a price hike. Currently, iPad Pros use LED-backlit or mini-LED technology, depending on the size.

It's likely that at least one of the anticipated iPad Air models, which will mimic the sizes of the iPad Pros, will "inherit" the mini-LED screen quality.

Apple Pencil

Consequently, rumors have indicated that yet another version of the Apple Pencil will be forthcoming. Apple brought out a less-expensive but non-magnetic Apple Pencil with USB-C last year, which can still "snap" magnetically to existing iPad Air and Pro models but no longer charges that way, relying instead on a sliding USB-C cap for wired charging.

The USB-C version lacks pressure sensitivity, however, and thus is more for traditional handwriting and note-taking uses than drawing. Because Apple will likely soon be dropping support for the original Apple Pencil and the older Lightning-based iPad models, it is hard to say what features the next version would support that would go beyond those of the second-generation model.

Magic Keyboard

Also expected is a redesigned Magic Keyboard for the new models.

The new version is expected to sport an aluminum material for the "top case," the area around the keyboard, to make the unit sturdier and more closely resemble the look and feel of the MacBook Pro and Air keyboard. A larger trackpad area is also anticipated.

The outward material of the updated Magic Keyboards is thought to be the same as the current models. Current rumors suggest the units will also offer a USB-C port separate from the one on the iPads themselves.

Rumor Score: Likely

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Is the benefit of the OLED screen worth what may be a significant price hike? Wondering what people's thoughts are.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Is the benefit of the OLED screen worth what may be a significant price hike? Wondering what people's thoughts are.
    Obviously you can't beat OLED for color reproduction, black/white values and per pixel dimming. I would think those would be the main draw. Improved battery life + thinner/lighter are the other improvements that most people seem to expect from the change. Personally, I'm hoping it leads to screen sizes larger than 12.9" at some point if the weight reduction is significant enough. 
    msalganikwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    It's likely that at least one of the anticipated iPad Air models, which will mimic the sizes of the iPad Pros, will "inherit" the mini-LED screen quality.
    Strange sentence. You are saying that at least one of the new iPad Air models will have screen quality like miniLED on the iPP13 or MBP14/16? So, it doesn't have to be miniLED, but will be XDR? But XDR can only be achieved with miniLED or OLED.

Seems a lot more prudent for Apple to use a regular old edge lit LED LCD like on the iPP11 or MBAs to keep its price and margins in check. So, the new iPA models will be just your regular 264 ppi 500 nit LCD panels, and only 60 Hz. Why have anything more for the iPA display?

The new iPP models will have the whole gamut of ProMotion, XDR, OLED, 240 Hz Pencil input whatever it is, etc. Apple is going to say it is the best display in the world.

Hopefully Apple tries another push for iPad content and services. They should push for subscriptions for XDR comics, subscriptions for books, and drawing and illustration content and creation. They need to push the platform to be more full featured, with better multitasking support, Xcode, Terminal, VMs, etc.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    If you’re listening Apple … the iPad has tons of unrealised potential for education, if only you could give the OS more Mac level functionality and an affordable 13” standard model. Our youngest daughter uses the sole iPad in our home as an occasional Netflix screen. A Mac using family for 30+ years, we’ve learned the hard way that entry level Mac laptops aren’t worth the investment for kids until high school and even then I’m not entirely sure they need the computing power of a Mac. Broke the bank buying my eldest a Macbook which effectively ended up being used for word processing, web browsing and movie watching. The youngest has a Chromebook for study and (free) casual gaming and she loves it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Tech specs are a bit redundant if all you’re getting for the money is a iphone that’s hobbled and too big for a pocket. Always thought the conversation around iPads should be about OS functionality.  Compared with even an out of date basic MacBook Air (so long as it has an SSD), any latest and greatest iPad Pro is still an overpriced toy. 
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Tech specs are a bit redundant if all you’re getting for the money is a iphone that’s hobbled and too big for a pocket. Always thought the conversation around iPads should be about OS functionality.  Compared with even an out of date basic MacBook Air (so long as it has an SSD), any latest and greatest iPad Pro is still an overpriced toy. 
    While I don’t necessarily agree with “overpriced toy” I do wish it had MacOS functionality. I assume they don’t want to cannibalize their MacBooks. It’s unfortunate because I don’t think it would. I don’t think the MS Surface has taken away from those that prefer the surface laptop. But I could be wrong. I’d absolutely love to see more Mac-like functionality in the iPadOS. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    I've been waiting for these since August! I thought that there'd be a fall refresh so when a friend told me he needed an iPad and Pencil for his kid, I was like here I'll give you a good deal on my 9th gen and I'll get whatever comes out in the fall... then nothing came out in the fall!

I'm trying to decide if I want the M3 Pro or the M2 Air. I have the Mac Studio with an M1 Max, I have the MacBook Air with the M2, part of me just wants them M3 model so I can say I've had one of each generation. Realistically, I do have a drawing project I want to work on, but I probably don't need more than an Air. I feel like Face ID is going to be a big deciding factor. Ironically I don't mind touch ID at all on a phone but I had it on my old iPad Pro and my 9th gen iPad and I really hated always having to use the home button to unlock the iPad. I suspect I'd feel the same way about the Air if it continues to have the touch ID button rather than Face ID.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Losing the magnetic attachment and charging for the pencil would be a real step backwards imho.
    i don’t see why it is a problem even leaving it where it is. Just have a case that encloses the pencil at the bottom. But no reason the magnets can’t either side of the camera.
    edited March 11 iOS_Guy80watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 14
    CuJoYYCCuJoYYC Posts: 84member

This was my first thought when Apple introduced the original AirPods. Wearing AirPods would normalize the behaviour for years before Apple would add a hearing aid mode. Those who would otherwise shun hearing aids due to their own vanity and, by extension, admitting they're getting old (that's my generation) can wear AirPods that are really hearing aids in disguise. And AirPods Pro are a helluva lot cheaper and far more versatile than the expensive, single purpose hearing aids on the market today.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Now Gorman is saying end of month early April. I need an update this week, early next week at the latest as I am changing jobs and will have to hand my IPP in. This will complicate my switch over to a private IPP if I wait (and why shouldn’t I, at the very least the old model will drop in price).
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,306member
    entropys said:
    Now Gorman is saying end of month early April. I need an update this week, early next week at the latest as I am changing jobs and will have to hand my IPP in. This will complicate my switch over to a private IPP if I wait (and why shouldn’t I, at the very least the old model will drop in price).
    Buy what you need at a store that offers a 30-day return policy, then return and upgrade.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Alex1NAlex1N Posts: 132member
    Where’s the M3 Mac Mini in all of this? Having decided to wait for it, my upgrade plans have stalled yet again. It looks as though I’ll have to plump for an M2 mini after all, especially as I’m probably not going to be able to use Sonoma via OCLP on the aging 2010 iMac i7. I’m getting to the point where I can no longer afford to wait, March-April 24 being my cut-off. Curse the AVP and ‘AI’/LLMs  :(.
    edited March 11 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Don’t forget project titan, Alex.
    Alex1Nwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 14
    And no more talk of the bigger iPad Pro/ultra. Bummer - that’s all I would be interested as an upgrade to my current 12.9 iPad Pro. 
    watto_cobra