Denver to pay $3.76M to grandmother due to "Find My" error

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 10

Police who wrongly raided and ransacked an elderly woman's home looking for a stolen truck and guns with Apple's Find My have cost the city of Denver $3.76 million in compensation and damages.

Laptop, smartphone, tablet, and smartwatch displaying a map application with location tracking features and wireless earbuds alongside.

Denver police seeking to recover a stolen truck loaded with guns, ammo, and cash back in January of 2022 used Apple's Find My technology on another iPhone to locate the vehicle, but picked the wrong house out of a fairly wide area to storm in an effort to catch the thieves.

As a result, 78-year-old grandmother Ruby Johnson has received a sizable award from the jury in the resulting lawsuit.

The city will be paying the $3.76M award even though the defendant officers -- Detective Gary Staab and Sgt. Gregory Buschy -- were sued as individuals. Denver police had previously cleared both men of any wrongdoing, but the jury disagreed.

"We are disturbed by the lack of training or policy changes and hope that the amount of the punitive damages award will send a strong message that the police department must take seriously the constitutional rights of its residents," Johnson's attorney Tim Macdonald told CNN. A Denver District Court clerk said the city has not yet filed an appeal of the verdict.

The American Civil Liberties Union, which brought the case on behalf of Mrs. Johnson, noted that the raid was predicated on "based on "an alleged location ping from an iPhone's Find My' app that the officers did not understand and for which they had no training." Policed relied on a "Find My" ping from an iPhone 11 that was probably still in the stolen truck, but the area identified included parts of six other properties across parts of four city blocks.

The ACLU and the jury concluded that the two police officers who ordered the raid had no reason to single out Mrs. Johnson's house as the target. The officers are liable for approximately $1.25 million each in punitive and compensatory damages.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Until individual cops are held responsible for misconduct this will keep happening.

Qualified immunity needs to end.

killroyscottydPetrolDavebeowulfschmidtdewmeStrangeDayskingofsomewherehotdavgreg
  • Reply 2 of 18
    msuberlymsuberly Posts: 236member
    Until individual cops are held responsible for misconduct this will keep happening.

Without qualified immunity, no person in his or her right mind would dare go into law enforcement.  With no officers going into the civilian police force, the government will have no option but to turn to the military to maintain law and order.  Do you really want marshal law?
    entropysdope_ahminemichelb76gatorguy40domidewmegrandact73watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 18
    ronnronn Posts: 658member
    "The ACLU and the jury concluded that the two police officers who ordered the raid had no reason to single out Mrs. Johnson's house as the target. The officers are liable for approximately $1.25 million each in punitive and compensatory damages."

Hmmmm... 

Edited to add

There is no Qualified Immunity in Denver (law change after the murder of George Floyd/Black Lives Matter Summer of 2020), so the two officers will be partially liable. Sadly, they will have to pay only $25K each (the law stipulates officers are responsible for 5% of awards or $25K, whichever is lowest). Too bad the assistant DA and brain dead judge can't be held responsible for the granting of a warrant with so little evidence.
    edited March 10 scottydPetrolDaveVictorMortimer
  • Reply 4 of 18
    killroykillroy Posts: 276member
    They could have just dialed the phone number and listen for it. You can also make Phone make a beeping sound so he can locate it.
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 18
    msuberly said:

Without qualified immunity, no person in his or her right mind would dare go into law enforcement.  With no officers going into the civilian police force, the government will have no option but to turn to the military to maintain law and order.  Do you really want marshal law?
    Sure bootlicker.
    ronnVictorMortimerStrangeDaysdavgreg
  • Reply 6 of 18
    msuberly said:
     No, he wants martial law.  There's a difference.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    michelb76michelb76 Posts: 621member
    msuberly said:

Seems to work just fine in many other countries. Guess this is just another American 'exception'.
    muthuk_vanalingamVictorMortimerStrangeDays
  • Reply 8 of 18
    msuberly said:

Six U.S. states (that I know of) have passed laws that prohibit or limit the use of qualified immunity as a defense in state courts: Colorado, Nevada, Montana, New Mexico, Massachusetts, and Connecticut, along with New York City.  If those states have had a problem hiring qualified officers, I haven't heard about it.
    edited March 11 muthuk_vanalingamronnVictorMortimerStrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 18
    40domi40domi Posts: 68member
    Only in AMERICA 😳
    Stupidity runs a mock and I'm not talking about a genuine mistake made by the police officers.
    The Grandma wasn't hurt and I'll bet she hasn't had so much excitement in a long time in her life.
    I also bet she was black.....
    Even worse are most of the comments on here 😏
  • Reply 10 of 18
    msuberly said:

martial, not marshal. And that's a bit of an overstatement. Police officers need to have a level of personal responsibility, and the current system is strongly stacked FOR them and against consequences for poor personal choices. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 11 of 18
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,874member
    The police could have found out who lived at each property and for how long, and also could have checked for arrest records particularly for similar crimes? Not rocket science......
  • Reply 12 of 18
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    msuberly said:

Do you realize CO dropped the qualified immunity scam 3 years ago? 

Do you have qualified immunity at your work? Assume not… Did it cause civilization to collapse?

What a load of malarkey 
  • Reply 13 of 18
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    michelb76 said:
    msuberly said:

Seems to work just fine in many other countries. Guess this is just another American 'exception'.
    Exactly. The bootlickers are entrenched very deeply here. 
  • Reply 14 of 18
    msuberly said:

You realize that would require a constitutional amendment right? ... to allow the US military to do domestic policing operations.

(and the QI problem in Colorado has already been covered) 

... Having worked in a QI position, I'd agree that it needs to be done away with.

• Reply 15 of 18
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member

The whole modern concept of policing in the United States needs an overhaul.
    Qualified Immunity needs to be reviewed and seriously curtailed or outright eliminated. No knock raids on homes should be exceptionally rare instead of SOP, civil forfeiture is nothing but a scam police use to fund more overtime by taking property from citizens under the most specious of auspices, the warrantless eavesdropping by spoofing cell towers,  the outrageous pensions paid to police and the whole chummy relationship between Grand Juries, DAs and Police.

It is totally out of control.
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 16 of 18
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member

“Six U.S. states (that I know of) have passed laws that prohibit or limit the use of qualified immunity as a defense in state courts: Colorado, Nevada, Montana, New Mexico, Massachusetts, and Connecticut, along with New York City.  If those states have had a problem hiring qualified officers, I haven't heard about it.“

Have you been to NYC recently?

• Reply 17 of 18
    davgreg said:

“Six U.S. states (that I know of) have passed laws that prohibit or limit the use of qualified immunity as a defense in state courts: Colorado, Nevada, Montana, New Mexico, Massachusetts, and Connecticut, along with New York City.  If those states have had a problem hiring qualified officers, I haven't heard about it.“

Have you been to NYC recently?

No.  I try to stay away from third world countries.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,306member
    40domi said:
    Only in AMERICA ߘ㦬t;br>Stupidity runs a mock and I'm not talking about a genuine mistake made by the police officers.
    The Grandma wasn't hurt and I'll bet she hasn't had so much excitement in a long time in her life.
    I also bet she was black.....
    Even worse are most of the comments on here ߘ怜t;/div>
    Asshat who can’t spell “amok” criticizes other posts, throws in some gratuitous racism and sexism as a free bonus.
    edited March 15 beowulfschmidt