Tim Cook sneaks in Apple Vision Pro promo while congratulating Porsche

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro

Porsche has launched its new Taycan Turbo GT electric vehicle, and announced a Race Engineer Cockpit app for the Apple Vision Pro.

Person wearing virtual reality headset observing a simulation with a racing car dashboard, track map, and live footage screens.
Porsche's new racing cockpit app for Apple Vision Pro

Porsche has already been working with Apple on using CarPlay into older cars, and integrating it further with forthcoming versions of the app. In unveiling the firm's new Taycan Turbo GT EV, Porsche CEO Oliver Blume also thanked Apple for its partnership.

The launch included breaking an EV lap record, and part of Porsche's launch showed Blume watching the event on an Apple Vision Pro. As well as seeing TV-style coverage, Blume could also watch the view from the car, as well as constantly-updated data.

"Congratulations to you and the Porsche team on the new record you've set with this incredible new vehicle," Tim Cook said in Porsche's video. "It's these kinds of extraordinary milestones that show the world what can happen when a team of incredibly dedicated people come together to break new ground on a big idea."

"Porsche has always been known for excellence, and we're proud to see a number of our products play a role in what you do," he continued. "And it's so great to see Apple Vision Pro helping reimagine track experiences."

"I believe deeply that spatial computing has the potential to revolutionize virtually every industry," he continued. "And you're showing one of the many ways Apple Vision Pro is going to make the impossible possible."

Blume announced that its race app will be coming to Apple Vision Pro users. "I'm sure we will have some surprises for you," he added.

Back in 2020, the Porsche Taycan was the first car to fully integrate Apple Music. As well as including access to the service in-car, Porsche announced it would be creating special playlists for it.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 2 of 10
    jeromecjeromec Posts: 192member
    Thx @omasou ;
    Here's the link with the starting time of the Vision Pro stuff: 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql_OvZBWEFg&t=511s
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,874member
    I like that car but charging it or any EV inside of a garage attached to your house is a long term housing insurance problem. Cars that cost that much can't be parked outside for any length of time. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Nothing convinces me to buy a high performance car like Tim Cook endorsing it.
    iqatedo
  • Reply 5 of 10
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Nothing convinces me to buy a high performance car like Tim Cook endorsing it.
    There was a report about them working with Porsche to build their car:

https://observer.com/2022/03/apple-meet-porsche-discuss-project-titan-ev-selfdriving/

"the iPhone maker has recently dissolved its automotive unit, according to a well-respected equity analyst, and is reportedly hanging hopes on Porsche to help it build an Apple car in as little as three years."

End product would be a consumer version of this:

It would only need to work in cities at low speed, full self-driving and cities would make most vehicles park on the city outskirts.
    Bart Yiqatedo
  • Reply 6 of 10
    danox said:
    I like that car but charging it or any EV inside of a garage attached to your house is a long term housing insurance problem. Cars that cost that much can't be parked outside for any length of time. 
    Really, I guess no one told my insurance company who insure bothy house and car. 
  • Reply 7 of 10
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,127member
    danox said:
    Don't believe the fossil fuel industry FUD. Adjusted for age (otherwise it can be 100x higher) an ICE car is 12x as likely to catch fire, and when an ICE vehicle catches fire it does so much quicker, with less warning so less chance to get away or call emergency services. A shorted out/overheating lithium battery fire starts slowly and can make a fair amount of smoke and noise well before flames appear.

Here's well regarded site produced by a member of the Austrialian Fire service targeting Firefighting professionals: https://www.evfiresafe.com/ . The home page has a link to a Fully Charged Podcast interview well worth watching.

Their stats page includes this:

"Our intial research findings, based on global EV battery fires from 2010-2020, indicate a 0.0012% of a passenger electric vehicle battery catching fire.

While it's difficult to find a similar stat for internal combustion engine (ICE) passenger vehicles globally, a range of country-based reports we found suggest there is a 0.1% chance of an ICE vehicle catching fire."

Edited to remove ambiguity.

edited March 11 Alex_Viqatedowatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    mknelson said:
    danox said:
    Don't believe the fossil fuel industry FUD. Adjusted for age (otherwise it can be 100x higher) an ICE car is 12x as likely to catch fire, and when an ICE vehicle catches fire it does so much quicker, with less warning so less chance to get away or call emergency services. A shorted out/overheating lithium battery fire starts slowly and can make a fair amount of smoke and noise well before flames appear.

Here's well regarded site produced by a member of the Austrialian Fire service targeting Firefighting professionals: https://www.evfiresafe.com/ . The home page has a link to a Fully Charged Podcast interview well worth watching.

Their stats page includes this:

"Our intial research findings, based on global EV battery fires from 2010-2020, indicate a 0.0012% of a passenger electric vehicle battery catching fire.

While it's difficult to find a similar stat for internal combustion engine (ICE) passenger vehicles globally, a range of country-based reports we found suggest there is a 0.1% chance of an ICE vehicle catching fire."

Edited to remove ambiguity.

The biggest problem with EV’s Cars/Buses/E-bikes long-term you won’t be able to park it in your garage and charge it and have the insurance company cover you, the same goes for condo complexes and any place that has dozens of cars park side-by-side in below ground parking garages, that represents an insurance nightmare.

If you live in a condo complex and it has an existing fire sprinkler system, that system is incapable of putting out an EV fire which mean upgrades are needed.

Problem is the structure of the building probably can’t hold the additional weight of such a system attached to the existing structure, who is going to pay for those upgrades the HOA? And the same applies to apartment complexes, the politicians aren’t going to in-force/pass any laws in the end it’s gonna be the private insurance companies that are gonna lay down the law.

Most of the big fires have been ships at Sea, transport ships, and ferries with multiple EV’s on them are death, traps, and also will become virtually uninsurable in time.

edited March 11 timpetus
  • Reply 9 of 10

It’s a fact that’s going to be dealt with once there are more EV‘s parking in enclosed parking garages.

The fire suppression system, sump pumps and the HVAC venting systems for buildings are going to need to be upgraded and someone’s going to pay for that won’t be the city or the county it’s going to be the tenants the owners if you are in a townhouse or condo. The property insurance companies are already gearing up to charge more someone’s gonna pay.

And those rating systems won’t mean a thing to the various building and safety departments across the country, whether it’s Florida, or New York, or California (earthquake country), the codes reluctantly will be enforced, particularly in lawsuit happy America.

In light of that building collapse in New York recently the weight of all those electric cars with those big heavy batteries is going to be another issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itGeAq9rBeY Insurance companies will start to exclude/cancel coverage of home replacement in the advent of a EV fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dbXhyNWZC0 Condo/Townhomes will never be the same the existing fire sprinkler system is Incapable of putting out a EV fire in an enclosed garage, can't wait for the crying homeowners crying to their HOA about the increased cost for the exist fire sprinkler system which will be structurally impossible to upgrade in most cheaply built (wood buildings).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqzv-oyMBrU Look at the ceiling the existing fire sprinkler system is inadequate (to small) to put out the fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QmA6yXuKuk This is the level of suppression needed and it is not cheap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9ks-AX9qrY Look closely at the ceiling massive piping suppression system too heavy for most condo/townhomes even in a concrete high-rise building can't even begin to support the weight or the cost.

Be aware in the future when buying an attached condo or townhouse in the EV future........ Massive hidden cost coming up. 

edited March 11 timpetus
  • Reply 10 of 10
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,824member
    I emailed Tim not long ago (as I have previously quite successfully), urging him to encourage some auto makers including Porsche to adopt CarPlay and even Apple Silicon as their principal driver-facing os and hardware respectively instead of sitting under android. I felt silly (and maybe respondents would agree) as Apple was working on their own car. Don't feel silly (for that reason at least lol) now. 
    watto_cobra