Apple caves, EU developers will be able to sell apps directly from their websites

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    AllMAllM Posts: 71member
    nubus said:
    AllM said:
    nubus said:
    chelgrian said:
    Yes it will be a security disaster of the EUs own making. You will get exactly the malware situation that exists on non-iOS platforms. Apparently the EU commission neither understand nor care.
    Seems you didn't check the EU Cyber Resilience Act. 
    The bureaucrats strike again?
    More like the democratically elected politicians deciding to set new demands on security for hardware and software products sold in the EU. The rest of the world can avoid USB C. If freedom is to let Apple or Google decide on the kind of apps you're allowed to install on your devices... then just keep going without regulation. And while EU demands 5 year security patching then Sony, LG, Samsung keep selling their devices in the US without updates. Do you really want that?
    When regulation fails you end up with products like Boeing 737 Max or a country (US) having 2x more people killed per driven mile than Germany where most of the interstates have no speed limit.
    You’re obviously drinkin’ too much Kool-Aid. Politicians rarely get anything right. I mean, look at them oldies. They probably can’t use an iPhone without their (grand)children giving them a tour first, let alone ‘regulate’ high-tech. 
    edited March 13
  • Reply 22 of 31
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,385member
    gatorguy said:
    Of course Apple caves. 

I mean, outside of USA government stepping in to prevent EU abuse, what are they going to do? 

Leaving the market is the only other option. 

This is government taking over. It’s sickening. Sure, the EU isn’t assuming the day to day reigns, but they’ve effectively become the Apple boardroom in Europe. 

If Apple didn’t “cave,” we all know the EU won’t give the the decency of a notice or warning that they’re not in compliance with draconian hot-takes. They’ll just fine them into oblivion and laugh all the way to Rolls Royce dealership. 

You do understand that Google, Facebook, Microsoft, and Amazon are being forced to make significant changes in their EU business models to meet the DMA mandates. These are not Apple-specific rules.

It's worth reading up on what the other gatekeepers are required to do to fulfill their obligations in the EU so as to understand it's not "poor old'Apple being picked on". 
    For obvious reasons, the only stories we read here about the changes gatekeepers are making are those from Apple.

Here's a start for learning about the others, and FWIW I don't expect that the EU will agree they've all gone far enough yet :
    https://digital-markets-act-cases.ec.europa.eu/reports/compliance-reports
    no. They aren’t being targeted and fined incessantly like Apple for simply doing business. 
    Perhaps Apple is the outlier in the gang, trying some "malicious compliance", or throwing down a gauntlet if you prefer;  by walking right up to and then over the line in order to see if the EU will move it. That's how it appears to me, right or wrong.

FWIW Apple still hasn't been "targeted as incessantly" as Google for "simply doing business", but the year is young. :neutral: 
    edited March 13 AllMmuthuk_vanalingamavon b7
  • Reply 23 of 31
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    Of course Apple caves. 

I mean, outside of USA government stepping in to prevent EU abuse, what are they going to do? 

This is government taking over. It’s sickening. Sure, the EU isn’t assuming the day to day reigns, but they’ve effectively become the Apple boardroom in Europe. 

If Apple didn’t “cave,” we all know the EU won’t give the the decency of a notice or warning that they’re not in compliance with draconian hot-takes. They’ll just fine them into oblivion and laugh all the way to Rolls Royce dealership. 

You do understand that Google, Facebook, Microsoft, and Amazon are being forced to make significant changes in their EU business models to meet the DMA mandates. These are not Apple-specific rules.

It's worth reading up on what the other gatekeepers are required to do to fulfill their obligations in the EU so as to understand it's not "poor old'Apple being picked on". 
    For obvious reasons, the only stories we read here about the changes gatekeepers are making are those from Apple.

Here's a start for learning about the others, and FWIW I don't expect that the EU will agree they've all gone far enough yet :
    no. They aren’t being targeted and fined incessantly like Apple for simply doing business. 
    Perhaps Apple is the outlier in the gang, trying some "malicious compliance", or throwing down a gauntlet if you prefer;  by walking right up to and then over the line in order to see if the EU will move it. That's how it appears to me, right or wrong.
    Seems Jobs’ spirit does live on, after all. If he were here, the bureaucrats would be asking for favors, not the other way around. 
  • Reply 24 of 31
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,385member
    AllM said:
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    Of course Apple caves. 

Seems Jobs’ spirit does live on, after all. If he were here, the bureaucrats would be asking for favors, not the other way around. 
    Yup. ;)

I'm seeing touches of that in Schiller recently. 
    edited March 13 AllM
  • Reply 25 of 31
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,863member
    AllM said:
    nubus said:
    AllM said:
    nubus said:
    chelgrian said:
    Yes it will be a security disaster of the EUs own making. You will get exactly the malware situation that exists on non-iOS platforms. Apparently the EU commission neither understand nor care.
    More like the democratically elected politicians deciding to set new demands on security for hardware and software products sold in the EU. The rest of the world can avoid USB C. If freedom is to let Apple or Google decide on the kind of apps you're allowed to install on your devices... then just keep going without regulation. And while EU demands 5 year security patching then Sony, LG, Samsung keep selling their devices in the US without updates. Do you really want that?
    When regulation fails you end up with products like Boeing 737 Max or a country (US) having 2x more people killed per driven mile than Germany where most of the interstates have no speed limit.
    You’re obviously drinkin’ too much Kool-Aid. Politicians rarely get anything right. I mean, look at them oldies. They probably can’t use an iPhone without their (grand)children giving them a tour first, let alone ‘regulate’ high-tech. 
    I'd say the EU largely gets things right. People are generally very pleased with how things work. Just take a peak at the eurobarometer surveys. 

The major directives have been a huge success overall even if someone will always protest about something. 

Compare that to the US where politics is tainted by lobby groups and 'Big Whatever' and you can actually single out plenty of cases where the EU is ahead. 

Today a major text on AI will be voted on. We might see that become law in 2026.

EDIT: Proposal Approved

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/press-room/20240308IPR19015/artificial-intelligence-act-meps-adopt-landmark-law

edited March 13
  • Reply 26 of 31
    croprcropr Posts: 1,129member
    jas99 said:
    It will be interesting to see what the security implications of this become. 
    Will European iPhones become infected with malware and distribute that malware throughout the world via messages and email and…?
    Being a developer I would say: the security will be better than in the App Store. 

Developers tend to protect thier own website pretty good and only their own apps will be in that website.   Any breach of the security would directly hurt the developer.

On the App Store, there are 3 party apps from developers which have not always have good intentions

• Reply 27 of 31
    avon b7 said:
    AllM said:
    nubus said:
    AllM said:
    nubus said:
    chelgrian said:
    I'd say the EU largely gets things right. People are generally very pleased with how things work. Just take a peak at the eurobarometer surveys. 

The major directives have been a huge success overall even if someone will always protest about something. 

Compare that to the US where politics is tainted by lobby groups and 'Big Whatever' and you can actually single out plenty of cases where the EU is ahead. 

Today a major text on AI will be voted on. We might see that become law in 2026.

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/press-room/20240308IPR19015/artificial-intelligence-act-meps-adopt-landmark-law

You seriously believe politicians care about anybody but themselves?
    edited March 15
  • Reply 28 of 31
    AllM said:
    avon b7 said:
    AllM said:
    nubus said:
    AllM said:
    nubus said:
    chelgrian said:

You seriously believe politicians care about anybody but themselves?
    Politicians, judges, law enforcement, doctors... 

There are good and bad people out there. 

Do I believe that power corrupts? Yes. Largely. 

But looking at what we have in the EU, my first reaction isn't to complain about everything, because I have been directly impacted by a lot of the good legislation that has been passed over the years. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 29 of 31
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,430member
    avon b7 said:
    AllM said:
    nubus said:
    AllM said:
    nubus said:
    chelgrian said:

I have to laugh at that, and I'm certainly cognizant of the failings of U.S. polititics

The EU is a wonderful place for Chinese and Russian influence operations, not to mention, massive spy operations, and I am certain that Russia and China are generally pleased with how things work in the EU. In fairness, the western world, including the U.S., UK, Canada, and especially Australia and New Zealand, all major trading partners of China, are especially concerned by Chinese influence operations.

I'm still waiting for the EU to "finally" ban Huawei in telecom infrastructure.

https://chinaobservers.eu/is-the-eu-finally-headed-towards-a-ban-on-huawei/

While many countries in the Western world have decisively banned Chinese telecom equipment company Huawei from their 5G networks due to national security concerns, the EU has lacked the consensus for such a policy, in part due to Huawei’s and China’s strong relationships within the bloc. However, recent announcements from Germany, the biggest holdout, and top EU brass suggest that momentum within the EU is growing for a ban on Huawei. 

Snails pace, but better late than never;

Meanwhile;

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/ATAG/2023/754553/EPRS_ATA(2023)754553_EN.pdf

On 4 October 2023, the European Commission published a notice of initiation of EU anti-subsidy investigations into EU imports of battery electric vehicles (BEVs) from China. This has already been announced by European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen during her State of the Union Address on 13 September 2023. She stated that the 'global market is flooded with cheaper electric vehicles' the price of which 'is kept artificially low' owing to 'huge state subsidies'. The probe comes after a surge in EU imports of electric vehicles (EVs) from China, outstripping other Chinese export markets. It may result in the Commission levying countervailing tariffs on EU imports of BEVs from China to offset state subsidies, if substantiated, and to level the playing field.

So, I'm guessing that EU still gets things right...oh yeah, and Huawei was getting and still is receiving, state subsidies.

edited March 15 watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 31
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    AllM said:
    nubus said:
    AllM said:
    nubus said:
    chelgrian said:

I have to laugh at that, and I'm certainly cognizant of the failings of U.S. polititics

The EU is a wonderful place for Chinese and Russian influence operations, not to mention, massive spy operations, and I am certain that Russia and China are generally pleased with how things work in the EU. In fairness, the western world, including the U.S., UK, Canada, and especially Australia and New Zealand, all major trading partners of China, are especially concerned by Chinese influence operations.

While many countries in the Western world have decisively banned Chinese telecom equipment company Huawei from their 5G networks due to national security concerns, the EU has lacked the consensus for such a policy, in part due to Huawei’s and China’s strong relationships within the bloc. However, recent announcements from Germany, the biggest holdout, and top EU brass suggest that momentum within the EU is growing for a ban on Huawei. 

Meanwhile;

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/ATAG/2023/754553/EPRS_ATA(2023)754553_EN.pdf

On 4 October 2023, the European Commission published a notice of initiation of EU anti-subsidy investigations into EU imports of battery electric vehicles (BEVs) from China. This has already been announced by European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen during her State of the Union Address on 13 September 2023. She stated that the 'global market is flooded with cheaper electric vehicles' the price of which 'is kept artificially low' owing to 'huge state subsidies'. The probe comes after a surge in EU imports of electric vehicles (EVs) from China, outstripping other Chinese export markets. It may result in the Commission levying countervailing tariffs on EU imports of BEVs from China to offset state subsidies, if substantiated, and to level the playing field.

So, I'm guessing that EU still gets things right...oh yeah, and Huawei was getting and still is receiving, state subsidies.

China, Russia, Brexit, the US, Ukraine etc aren't the be all and end all of things in the EU. 

EU citizens are happy in general and the EU largely gets things right.

Huawei receives state subsidies like just about every other company which is entitled to. The world over. 

• Reply 31 of 31
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,430member
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    AllM said:
    nubus said:
    AllM said:
    nubus said:
    chelgrian said:

Meanwhile;

China, Russia, Brexit, the US, Ukraine etc aren't the be all and end all of things in the EU. 

EU citizens are happy in general and the EU largely gets things right.

Huawei receives state subsidies like just about every other company which is entitled to. The world over. 

https://carnegieendowment.org/2018/12/27/huawei-and-europe-s-5g-conundrum-pub-78045
    Notwithstanding such U.S. pressure, Europe also has good reasons on its own to take a more stringent approach toward Chinese 5G. First, the European Commission has established that Huawei was able to become the EU’s top telecommunication supplier in record time by receiving subsidies from Chinese state banks and other financial entities. Second, European officials acknowledge that critical infrastructure built with technology manufactured in China may give Chinese companies access to vast troves of sensitive data and industrial information—which ultimately might be turned over to Chinese authorities. Moreover, Chinese-manufactured infrastructure could make European countries vulnerable to Chinese spying, cyberattacks delivered through the network infrastructure, and overall national security threats . European Commission Vice President for Digital Single Market Andrus Ansip said earlier in December that “I think we have to be worried about Huawei and other Chinese companies,” recalling the mandatory collaboration between certain technology companies and intelligence agencies in China.
    There's your EU DSA disagreeing with you...6 years ago, and the EU is still not effectively dealing with Huawei.
    watto_cobra