Apple gearing up for fall launch of new two new AirPods models

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 18

Apple's next AirPods launch is set to be its biggest yet, with a report claiming that up to 25 million units will be entering mass production in the summer for a fall release.

AirPods 3 on a notebook
AirPods 3 on a notebook

Apple has been rumored to be bringing out various updates to its AirPods range, including the possibility of two fourth-generation models. Now, it is said that the supply chain is getting into gear for what could be Apple's biggest AirPods launch ever.

Writing in the "Power On" newsletter for Bloomberg, Mark Gurman writes that Apple is preparing to manufacture between 20 million and 25 million units. This is apparently higher than the launch plans of earlier models.

The production pipeline will officially start manufacturing in May, via partners GoerTek and Luxshare Precision, with a view to a release in September or October.

The two models are codenamed B768(E) and B768(M), referring to "entry" and "mid-tier" editions. Gurman adds that the two will have elements such as a new design with an improved fit, as well as USB-C charging cases, but only the M model will get Active Noise Cancellation and Find My speakers in the case itself.

The new AirPods are only some of the changes intended for the product line in 2024. Expected updates as part of iOS 18 include a hearing aid mode feature destined for the AirPods Pro, while AirPods may gain a hearing test function.

An update to AirPods Pro is also anticipated, but Gurman believes it may not occur until 2025.

Rumor Score: Possible

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    Expected updates as part of iOS 18 include a hearing aid mode feature destined for the AirPods Pro, while AirPods may gain a hearing test function.

My hearing isn't great but not so bad that I need the cost and hassles of a standard hearing aid. I'd be interested in an AirPod that dealt with that, but only at a reasonable price. Otherwise, I will just ask people to speak up. One more thing. The battery needs to be easily replaceable. 

VictorMortimerwilliamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 7
    doggonedoggone Posts: 381member
    inkling said:
    Expected updates as part of iOS 18 include a hearing aid mode feature destined for the AirPods Pro, while AirPods may gain a hearing test function.

My hearing isn't great but not so bad that I need the cost and hassles of a standard hearing aid. I'd be interested in an AirPod that dealt with that, but only at a reasonable price. Otherwise, I will just ask people to speak up. One more thing. The battery needs to be easily replaceable. 
    I hear you about (pun intended) on use and cost of hearing aids.  I, myself, have poor hearing especially on the high end.  I do have in ear hearing aids and they help a bit when I use them.
    One thing that will never happen is that AirPods will have replaceable batteries.  Apple came up with the charging case to make it easy and quick to charge the AirPods.  4-6 hours of active use may be longer if used simply for hearing improvement since it won't be receiving data via bluetooth.
    It would be nice if the hearing aid feature could be adjustable for frequency.  I need more help in the high end so being able to tweak the amplification would be very useful.
    edited March 17 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    AniMillAniMill Posts: 156member
    The battery does not need to be replaceable - it needs to be solid state. All Apple portables need to move to solid state batteries. I’m surprised that this is not the number one concern for Apple, AI is only a interesting thing to play with while 20-30% gain in power density in a smaller package and faster charging would be a huge boon. Also, solid state has a considerably longer life cycle than current designs.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    inkling said:
    User replaceable battery will likely never happen in APs. The size benefits from the integrated too greatly. You can get Apple Care if you want to trade them in near the end when they weaken, or just recycle them. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    So far the AirPods 1 and 2 fit my ears perfectly for being out and about. The AP 3 fit ok if I don't move my head, yawn, eat or drink. They're a step back in fit for me but they do sound better than the 2.

The Pro don't work at all for me. So I'm not particularly hopeful that a new design with an improved fit will actually have an improved fit. But I'll give them a try if they are released.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    gcvgcv Posts: 18member
    I wear hearing aids, and the last thing I’d want is replaceable batteries as opposed to rechargeable batteries. People I know who wear hearing aids with replacement batteries hate them, because the batteries last less than a day and are a pain to replace - as well as costly. Just give me a charger that works and can be used while traveling outside the US.

Current hearing aids don’t seem to be designed for the user to adjust the frequency response. When I want to do that I need to visit the service provider and pay for an appointment. It sure would be easier if I could do it on my own using my Mac. Also, like mine, not many hearing aids have “find my hearing aid” capability. That seems pretty basic, but the hearing aid manufacturer of my devices said the blue tooth used by the devices is different than the one used to find objects. Could be bs. I lost one of my hearing aids in my garden shortly after I bought them. The ONLY way I could find it was to play music loudly from my iPhones and crawl on my hands and knees until I could faintly hear the music. I am told that people lose their hearing aids “all the time.” Replacements cost over $1,000. That’s probably why there’s no interest in a “find my hearing aid” feature.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 7
    jamnapjamnap Posts: 89member
    Whatever happened to Airpods Max?  I loved the sound quality of mine but ended up selling them cuz they were so heavy and uncomfortable to wear for extended periods.  Seems like Apple is ceding its headphone market to sister Beats line.  
    williamlondonegold44watto_cobra