Next-gen CarPlay battles Android Automotive for carmakers, drivers

Posted:
in iOS edited March 18

Following the demise of Apple's own automotive project, the company's attention has turned to the next-generation CarPlay and its relationship with automakers.

A visualization of CarPlay
A visualization of CarPlay

Although Apple first debuted a next-generation CarPlay concept in the summer of 2022, only two automakers thus far -- Porsche and Aston-Martin -- have committed to the product. More carmakers have signed on to the more comprehensive and built-in Android Automotive technology.

This is different from the first-gen Android Auto, in that the Automotive system is embedded in the vehicle at the factory. Bloomberg's Mark Gurman reports that Apple's next-gen CarPlay still runs on the iPhone, which provides greater flexibility, but no opportunity for licensing.

As was demonstrated, next-gen CarPlay expands to multiple screens inside vehicles, and controls car hardware such as the climate system. Google has focused on signing up carmakers to use its embedded Android Automotive.

So far, BMW, Ford, General Motors, Lucide, Polestar, Porsche, Stellantis, and Volkswagen are all offering Android Automotive as an option for car buyers. The industry maintains support for CarPlay due to the preference of iPhone-owing car buyers.

So far, Apple has focused on high-end carmakers for commitments to support next-gen CarPlay. With the so-called "Apple Car" project shutting down, Apple may focus on the new CarPlay to strengthen relationships with the industry.

Currently, Apple has no plans to monetize the new CarPlay, either by charging manufacturers to license it or offering a paid tier for users. The company presently works with each supporting manufacturer to create a custom bespoke version to work with its vehicles.

After shutting down the Apple Car project, Gurman offers that this could be an opportunity for Apple to earn from CarPlay itself.

He reckons that Apple could start charging car producers to support CarPlay, on the belief that some consumers won't consider vehicles without the feature.

Gurman also proposes Apple could continue to use the older version of CarPlay as a free option, but then to charge for the newer upgrade.

Apple could also go down the route of eliminating per-manufacturer custom versions in favor of templates for the operating system. This approach would still allow customization of CarPlay, potentially by users as well as car makers.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman reports that Apple's next-gen CarPlay still runs on the iPhone, which provides greater flexibility, but no opportunity for licensing harvesting user data.

FTFY
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 32
    Wouldn't consider a car without carplay
    PetrolDavelolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 32
    omasouomasou Posts: 576member
    I'd be scared to own a car w/Android anything.

If my Sony TV with its Google TV is any indication of app reliability, I could imagine a situation where I'd have to reboot an app to have it function correctly.

Not something, I want to do while driving!
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 32
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,250member
    omasou said:
    I'd be scared to own a car w/Android anything.

If my Sony TV with its Google TV is any indication of app reliability, I could imagine a situation where I'd have to reboot an app to have it function correctly.

Not something, I want to do while driving!
    Your car uses different autonomous computers and systems, similar to avionics.

Usually the system that controls the engine and related calculations (e.g traction control, optimizations related to adaptive suspension, etc) are closed off from secondary things such as airco and other systems, which are also separate from media/entertainment/bluetooth and navigation tools.

If you look at the latest Tesla models where they removed indicator stalks (extremely stupid), they still offer a backup method where you can change between parking, reverse, drive and neutral.

That of-course doesn’t change your concern - a failing entertainment system is extremely annoying and road rage worthy. But how a car is set up shouldn’t make it dangerous. 
    gatorguy
  • Reply 5 of 32
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,306member
    Most car companies are not going to drop support for CarPlay because a) it plugs in from the iPhone rather than being embedded and b) because there are a lot of people who love CarPlay too much.

Google made an offer carmakers couldn't refuse: spy on users and you can sell that data with an embedded system that only CarPlay can override (for now).
    lolliverentropysforegoneconclusionwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 32
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    chasm said:
    Most car companies are not going to drop support for CarPlay because a) it plugs in from the iPhone rather than being embedded and b) because there are a lot of people who love CarPlay too much.

Google made an offer carmakers couldn't refuse: spy on users and you can sell that data with an embedded system that only CarPlay can override (for now).
    Agree, evidently GM is already selling data to insurers about driver behavior to assess whether a potential insured is a good risk or not.  Welcome to the world of the heavily connected and monitored car.  I am sure Alphabet would love this market.
    lolliverentropysCesar Battistini Mazierowatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 32
    No Car Play, no purchase or lease.  Have a 2023 BMW and BMW's nav is horrible compared to Car Play

lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 32
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    badmonk said:
    chasm said:

Agree, evidently GM is already selling data to insurers about driver behavior to assess whether a potential insured is a good risk or not.  Welcome to the world of the heavily connected and monitored car.  I am sure Alphabet would love this market.
    Most automakers sell varying levels of user data to data brokers. Nineteen of the most popular car brands have privacy policies that explicitly allow this. GM doesn't have a corner on it. And don't think that using Carplay prevents automakers from collecting data on who you call or text from your vehicle, or where you travel.  It does not. If you've connected to the vehicle's onboard systems, then the data is recorded by the vehicle. 

So eazzy-pezzy: If you use manufacturer-supplied connected services in your vehicle, the safe assumption would be some of your driving stats, and other assorted personal pieces of data and communications, are being shared outside of the organization. Credit bureau's, insurers, and marketing companies are prime suspects. 

If you don't want your car/truck/SUV sharing your data then buy an old one, something from 20 years ago and earlier.  
    edited March 17
  • Reply 9 of 32
    toyshoo said:
    No Car Play, no purchase or lease.  Have a 2023 BMW and BMW's nav is horrible compared to Car Play

I have BMW from 2022 with iDrive 7 and I quite like the integration between the car and embedded navigation. It’s automatically slowing down in front of the intersection and everything is in HUD and it’s super easy to controll it without touchscreen which I amost never use. Avoiding traffic jams in the city is also not bad.

But I agree that it’s not updated as I would expect despite regullar updates and sometimes it’s forcing me to one way streets in the opposite direction, which is really stupid 😁

I use CarPlay only for music and FaceTime calls…

watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 32

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman reports that Apple's next-gen CarPlay still runs on the iPhone, which provides greater flexibility, but no opportunity for licensing harvesting user data.

FTFY
    The article is written confusingly and may give readers a mistaken impression. 

The new version will run natively on the vehicle, licensed from Apple but integrated by the manufacturer for its purposes. Apple is relinquishing some control, offering the software, but turning hardware over to the manufacturers. It won't be running from the iPhone.  Of course, manufacturers will have expanded access to data, and opportunity for monetizing if that's their intent, and it is for nearly all of them. 
    edited March 17
  • Reply 11 of 32
    jamnapjamnap Posts: 89member
    I will never use the new Carplay in my 2024 BM x5 if BM were to jump on board.  The current version of Carplay displays like a Disney cartoon with no way to modified the look, especially colors (too loud typical of Tim Cook preferences). Compared to my sleek, elegant look, predominately gold and black tones of OEM BMW nav and other iDrive 8.5 views, Carplay looks silly as if it was designed by folk at Sesame Street productions.  
    williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 32
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Same here, that and Adaptive cruise control.
    nrg2watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 32
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member

jamnap said:
    I will never use the new Carplay in my 2024 BM x5 if BM were to jump on board.  The current version of Carplay displays like a Disney cartoon with no way to modified the look, especially colors (too loud typical of Tim Cook preferences). Compared to my sleek, elegant look, predominately gold and black tones of OEM BMW nav and other iDrive 8.5 views, Carplay looks silly as if it was designed by folk at Sesame Street productions.  
    GUIs are a matter of taste and functionality, and cross-device and eco-system integration are another.  My Jaguar has nice subtle graphics you'd probably approve of, but the overall experience when our Macs, iPads, and iPhones so seamlessly work with Car Play is in another dimension to the manufacturer's offerings alone.  That said, there are a ton of features the Jag's system offers in addition, from ambient cabin lighting choices to the various safety and suspension features and safety adaptations, so using both the Jag and Apple's systems, where most useful, seems the logical way for now.  If Apple were to add all the other features into a full experience, as I believe is coming, then I seriously doubt manufacturers would even worry as long as they sell cars.  At that point, a choice of interface designs and color schemes from Apple doesn't sound too far-fetched.  As it is, the Jag's Sports Dynamic driving mode changes the dash and the entire cabin's color scheme even when Car play is at the forefront.
    edited March 18 watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 32
    davdav Posts: 115member
    Volvo should switch from Android Auto to Apple Car Play.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 32
    dav said:
    Why? They both end up serving the same purpose, allowing the automakers to customize and expand the integrations of vehicle systems and services while maintaining control of the customer and their in-vehicle data. Neither Google nor Apple are directly monetizing user data via the embedded OSs they're licensing to them for the vehicle infotainment systems even if the automakers are.  
    muthuk_vanalingamgrandact73
  • Reply 16 of 32
    gatorguy said:

FTFY

The new version will run natively on the vehicle, licensed from Apple but integrated by the manufacturer for its purposes. Apple is relinquishing some control, offering the software, but turning hardware over to the manufacturers. It won't be running from the iPhone.  Of course, manufacturers will have expanded access to data, and opportunity for monetizing if that's their intent, and it is for nearly all of them. 
    Which article are you referring to? This one and the Bloomberg article both say that CarPlay will not be integrated with the vehicle and will still run on a connected iPhone. Are you reading something that says otherwise or speculating?
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 32
    gatorguy said:

FTFY

Which article are you referring to? This one and the Bloomberg article both say that CarPlay will not be integrated with the vehicle and will still run on a connected iPhone. Are you reading something that says otherwise or speculating?
    That's two different things. Yes, the "new" Carplay will be backward compatible and will still work from your iPhone just as it always has as I understand it.

BUT IN ADDITION, Apple will be licensing the OS to automakers to integrate with their own hardware, not the iPhone. Essentially the same as Google is doing with Android Automotive which is not the same as Android Auto, the latter which still works directly from an Android phone.

Both will utilize the essential 1st party apps, which the automaker will integrate with their own in-vehicle control systems. The automobile functions themselves will not be streaming from your iPhone or your Android phone, and personal in-vehicle data will be in the hands of the manufacturer and not the OS provider, which would be either Google or Apple. 

In a nutshell, the Apple/Google apps will be treated as third-party apps by the manufacturer. Android Automotive is offered both with and without Google App Services, and my guess is that Apple will do the same, but it is just that, a guess. Further to that, it should eliminate the requirement that the driver even owns an iPhone for the system to work, if I'm understanding it correctly. 
    edited March 18 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 18 of 32
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    gatorguy said:
    badmonk said:
    chasm said:

Most automakers sell varying levels of user data to data brokers. Nineteen of the most popular car brands have privacy policies that explicitly allow this. GM doesn't have a corner on it. And don't think that using Carplay prevents automakers from collecting data on who you call or text from your vehicle, or where you travel.  It does not. If you've connected to the vehicle's onboard systems, then the data is recorded by the vehicle. 

So eazzy-pezzy: If you use manufacturer-supplied connected services in your vehicle, the safe assumption would be some of your driving stats, and other assorted personal pieces of data and communications, are being shared outside of the organization. Credit bureau's, insurers, and marketing companies are prime suspects. 

If you don't want your car/truck/SUV sharing your data then buy an old one, something from 20 years ago and earlier.  
    I'm curious how they'd collect the data if the car doesn't have a built-in cellular uplink. Only way I can think of is when you take it in for service. But if you go to a 3rd party mechanic, then that wouldn't work either.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 32
    auxio said:
    gatorguy said:
    badmonk said:
    chasm said:

I'm curious how they'd collect the data if the car doesn't have a built-in cellular uplink. Only way I can think of is when you take it in for service. But if you go to a 3rd party mechanic, then that wouldn't work either.
    I'd love more of the details as well. Learning that the automobile manufacturer has access to your smartphone usage was enlightening. For the moment one of the better articles I know of concerning automakers and data is this one:
    https://foundation.mozilla.org/en/privacynotincluded/articles/its-official-cars-are-the-worst-product-category-we-have-ever-reviewed-for-privacy/
  • Reply 20 of 32
    GillisGillis Posts: 2member
    dav said:
    Volvo was forgotten in this article . Volvo use Android automotiv but they let Apple CarPlay availed as well in their car .

they were in the list of the new generation CarPlay too 
    watto_cobra