New macOS Sonoma 14.4 bug kills file versions in iCloud Drive

Posted:
in macOS

The list of issues in macOS Sonoma 14.4 is continuing to grow, with a new bug uncovered that wipes saved versions of files stored on iCloud Drive.

A new macOS Sonoma 14.4 bug breaks iCloud Drive file versions
A new macOS Sonoma 14.4 bug breaks iCloud Drive file versions

Many apps offer the capability to save earlier versions of files, which allow users to revert the document back to a previous state. For users who save their documents to iCloud Drive, it appears that macOS Sonoma 14.4 may be breaking this functionality.

In a post on Monday, the Eclectic Light Company warns that users of macOS Sonoma 14.4 who save files to iCloud Drive and have Optimize Mac Storage enabled are in particular danger.

Usually, if a file is removed from the local version of iCloud Drive using the contextual menu's "Remove Download" option, the file is deleted locally but saved versions are preserved. When the file is downloaded again from iCloud Drive, the versions saved on that Mac were still accessible.

This is not the case since the update in macOS 14.4, as the versions are deleted along with the main file, and they cannot be recovered after a redownload from iCloud Drive as before.

For users with version 14.4 on their Mac, it is recommended to disable Optimize Mac Storage, so that documents stored in the local iCloud Drive aren't automatically removed, causing the bug to occur.

The bug has since been reported to Apple. It remains to be seen when a fix will arrive.

Other problems with macOS 14.4

This is not the only bug uncovered in macOS 14.4 since its introduction.

On March 12, it was discovered that USB hubs embedded in monitors were no longer working under macOS Sonoma 14.4. Two days later on March 14, issues with printers were uncovered, including the corruption of drivers.

Oracle stepped in on March 16, advising users who need to run Java to avoid updating to macOS Sonoma 14.4, since it causes Java to terminate unexpectedly.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Anyone else have issues with safari logging you out of every site all the time? I have this issue since I updated to 14.4

kdupuis77Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 19
    I perceive there have been more than the usually number of problems with 14.x generally.  Contrary to the past 13 years of using Mac, I've held to the previous OS (13.6.4).

Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 19
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 842member
    This and other cases like it are why I stopped auto updating my Apple products when the latest releases drop. I now always wait a couple of weeks, at least, to see if it's "safe" to do so.  It's really inexcusable for the dot 4 version of an OS to be breaking stuff and having this level of bugginess. 
    Alex1N9secondkox2
  • Reply 4 of 19
    michelb76 said:
    Anyone else have issues with safari logging you out of every site all the time? I have this issue since I updated to 14.4

I travel a lot for work, so I thought it was because I had been overseas for months and it was picking up my location change... But I've been reading many users having this issue. It's crazy annoying! Constantly having to login to EVERYTHING now, not even just banking sites..
    Alex1Nmichelb769secondkox2
  • Reply 5 of 19
    aijwsaijws Posts: 12member
    Is Apple turning into Boeing?
    9secondkox2VictorMortimerjellyapple
  • Reply 6 of 19
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,727member
    Dang. Just keeps getting worse. What a mess. 
  • Reply 7 of 19
    XedXed Posts: 2,571member
    I perceive there have been more than the usually number of problems with 14.x generally.  Contrary to the past 13 years of using Mac, I've held to the previous OS (13.6.4).
    I don’t know if that’s the case since every major OS and point update will cause an issue for someone, but for me Sonoma has caused biggest upset in my workflow that I can recall. For me, it’s Automator no longer being able to create working applications. I can run them effectively from the workflow in Automator and still use Apps I’ve created, but if I edit them and then export them as an application there is something broken.
    9secondkox2Calamandersphericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 19
    riverkoriverko Posts: 222member
    Maybe i am the lucky one or have other usecases. But using Sonoma since the very first devoleper beta and never had any issues… usually i found some that were to be reported, bur this time to my surprise none… so it is quite interesting to read all these reports now… hope Apple can fix it soon for those affected
    9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 19
    If this bug with Optimize Mac Storage is true, it’s a fkn disaster …of the worst kind. This means you could have lost any number of files across random locations on your iCloud storage, which is quite possibly your only storage.
     🤬
    Calamander
  • Reply 10 of 19
    I got this email last week from Universal Audio

Dear Benjamin,

As you may know, Apple recently released the macOS 14.4 Sonoma update. There have been reports of compatibility issues impacting plug‑ins from various manufacturers that are safeguarded by PACE / iLok with Audio Units host DAWs such as Logic Pro on Apple silicon Macs.

Consequently, if you utilize Audio Units on an Apple silicon computer, it is recommended to defer your update until more is known. We are contacting PACE and will update you after we find a resolution.

The following Support Announcement will be updated as more details become available: macOS 14.4 Sonoma Compatibility Info

Sincerely,
    The UA Customer Care Team

Calamanderjellyapplewatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 19
    aijws said:
    Is Apple turning into Boeing?
    Already did, years ago.

Apple started as an engineering-driven company.  Woz made an amazing computer, Markkula sold it, Jobs took credit.

Apple is now a beancounter-driven company, just like Boeing.
    jrfunkaijws
  • Reply 12 of 19
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I suspect Apple has been too distracted with this crap "Apple has had to create 600 new APIs to open up iOSto alternative marketplaces and new payment options" due to EU.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 19
    charlesn said:
    This and other cases like it are why I stopped auto updating my Apple products when the latest releases drop. I now always wait a couple of weeks, at least, to see if it's "safe" to do so.  It's really inexcusable for the dot 4 version of an OS to be breaking stuff and having this level of bugginess. 
    I am with you but OS updates usually contain security fixes; and lately, security fixes on Mac are often for bugs that bad actors are already exploiting in the wild. 

Which is why I frantically update the moment a new release is available. 

edited March 21 watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 19

If this bug with Optimize Mac Storage is true, it’s a fkn disaster …of the worst kind. This means you could have lost any number of files across random locations on your iCloud storage, which is quite possibly your only storage.
     🤬
    I switched to iCloud but found it doesn't really work well so I kept Dropbox for more reliable service. 

Apple and syncing has been a thing... iCloud couldn't deal with disk images opened on multiple devices either, I ended up making many copies to make it work again. 

I wish I could switch to iCloud but it's too unreliable. And I am wondering why they didn't just copy Dropbox... Dropbox woks... 
  • Reply 15 of 19
    I knew it! Years ago hundreds of notes in Notes vanished. I have been upgraded iCloud storage plan since it’s available. More I pay, more I lost. 😞 
  • Reply 16 of 19
    “ The bug has since been reported to Apple.” What? Should Apple apologise to customers? Did I hear anything from Apple? Hello?
  • Reply 17 of 19
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    “ The bug has since been reported to Apple.” What? Should Apple apologise to customers? Did I hear anything from Apple? Hello?
    Did they ever apologise for the iTunes upgrade bug back in, what, 2004?, that completely erased ALL attached external storage media that had a " " (space) in the name? 
    avon b7muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 18 of 19
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,647member
    Sonoma is clearly the last MacOS to support Intel.  

Apple’s stripping out older BT and WIFI drivers and breaking things left and right.  The OCLP developers have their hands full fixing them, but hearing that Apple Silicon Macs having these bugs in a 0.1 release is disappointing.  

I guess they could be fixed between now and September, but…
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 19
    michelb76michelb76 Posts: 621member
    kdupuis77 said:
    michelb76 said:

I travel a lot for work, so I thought it was because I had been overseas for months and it was picking up my location change... But I've been reading many users having this issue. It's crazy annoying! Constantly having to login to EVERYTHING now, not even just banking sites..
    I'm having some success it seems by enabling 'block all cookies' in safari, quitting, then disabling that feature again. It seems to physically remove cookies, restoring this functionality. Will see if it persists.
    watto_cobra