New iPad Pro may have matte & glossy screen options

Posted:
in iPad

Leaker claims the new iPad Pro will be offered with a matte screen for the first time -- and so may the forthcoming iPad Air.

Using iPad Pro and Apple Pencil
Using iPad Pro and Apple Pencil

While most of leaker Instant Digital's claims have concerned the iPad Air -- with suppliers reportedly shipping finished models to the US -- the latest touches on both that and the next iPad Pro. Doubling down on a previous claim that the iPad range will be revised "next week," the leaker also claims to have partial knowledge of a matte finish.

Posted on Instant Digital's Weibo account, the update's reference to "bright and fog" is likely to be a mistranslation of gloss and matte. This fits with the claim that the latter is also referred to as having eye protection.

A laptop displaying a social media post with text about upcoming iPad versions and a photo of an iPad on a desk.
Original posting on Weibo

No iPad has been released with a matte glass finish before, but this won't be the first time Apple has used it or similar technology. Starting with 2019's then-new Pro Display XDR, Apple has sometimes used nano-texture glass, to date the company's highest-quality anti-reflective technology.

Instead of more traditional matte finishes which may overlay the glass with a mostly transparent cover, nano-texture displays have patterns etched into the screen. This makes reflections scatter and so avoids creating a mirror-like surface.

It's not clear from the leak whether the matte-finish iPad Pro, or iPad Air, will use nano-texture. However, Instant Digital also claimed this week that the forthcoming iPhone 17's display in 2025 would be both stronger and anti-reflective, than the current model.

Note that while Instant Digital has been reporting multiple leaks in the last week or so, it does not yet have a long-term history of accurate leaks. Most recently, the leaker was correct about the yellow iPhone 14, for instance.

Rumor Score: Possible

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Matte glass.....ooh let me run to grab the credit card. 

I feel for these companies.  Trying to come up with fascinating hardware and software advancements on an annual or even quarterly basis is incredibly difficult to sustain.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    Question for those who have nano-textured ASD and XDR models. How's it look after a while? Are you able to clean all the gunk off the "nano-textured" surface and it looks like new?

I am tempted with this option.
    VictorMortimer
  • Reply 3 of 6
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    Will matte offer something I'd love to see on iPads, a 'feels like paper' texture for the glass. A less slippery surface would make using an Apple Pencil feel more like using a traditional pencil or pen. That would be a plus for those doing graphics.
    edited March 20 dewme
  • Reply 4 of 6
    inkling said:
    Will matte offer something I'd love to see on iPads, a 'feels like paper' texture for the glass. A less slippery surface would make using an Apple Pencil feel more like using a traditional pencil or pen. That would be a plus for those doing graphics.
    Did you see this recent review?? Rock Paper Pencil review: the iPad upgrade every artist needs Haven't checked it out myself, but other reviews have been positive as well.

• Reply 5 of 6
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    With the no doubt massive mark up for a matte screen, you could buy several years worth of Apple Polishing Cloths.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 6
    While glossy screens are EVIL on laptops, I'm not sure how well this will work on a touchscreen.  The fingerprints need to be easily cleanable.

How about just giving us back antiglare MacBooks?  They were so amazing, you could have a light behind you and not want to throw the computer at it to smash it.