Analysts mostly nonplussed by DoJ suit, and believe Apple will win

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    nubus said:
    Kuminga said:
    I work for an investment firm as a back end researcher and by yesterday afternoon , my bosses  were basically laughing at this outdated and idiotic indictment and the fact that the actual attorney general was made to stand there and read these outdated charges .
    Your bosses should look at the Microsoft stock from 1995 to 2014. Antitrust cases don't help investors.
    Antitrust cases don’t necessarily hurt investors.  For Microsoft, the big headwinds for their stock during that period was due to the internet bust, the GFC, and Ballmer.
    ronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 60
    Fred257 said:
    It will be a win for both Apple and consumers. Why? Because I have kept up on a daily basis with Apple News and innovation since 1997 on a daily basis. 
    I’m struggling to understand how you reading news about Apple since 1997 means that this will be a win for Apple and consumers. Can you explain?
    williamlondon9secondkox2ronnVictorMortimerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 60
    KumingaKuminga Posts: 35member
    andyring said:
    Like it or not, this will hurt the Biden administration more than Apple.

Why?

Trump can run ads and have talking points like “Now Joe Biden wants to take away your gas stove, your reliable gas-powered car AND your iPhone!"
    You are not wrong. It’s one thing if the charges are serious but blue and green bubbles? This is  the most incompetent DOJ I have ever seen…
    Kierkegaarden9secondkox2jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 60
    cpsro said:
    DoJ is just upset Apple keeps closing all the backdoors and no more good ones remain.
    You just said the quiet part out loud. Apple is willing to goto the end of the earth to protect the security of its customers and  the government does not like that.  

We should be thankful Apple is willing to protect customers from government snooping around our private data .
    badmonk9secondkox2radarthekatjbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 60
    miiwtwo said:
    of course, they need apple's money  B)

seriously, apple gonna lose,
    No they won’t, not to this incompetent DOJ lol

Just look at Garland and his incompetent face and the multiple top firms Apple will have fighting this , yes I said multiple law firms , not just  multiple lawyers…

my guess this will never get to trial and will be reduced and dropped eventually 
    edited March 22 badmonk9secondkox2jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 60
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,525member
    Kuminga said:
    More commentary on CNBC from George Mason Law Professor

” This DOJ case makes no sense”

https://youtu.be/JeOr_jEq4_g?si=EigJ6S1dqNHQ84SU
    I think there are some illiberal zealots working in anti-trust in the Biden administration. This lawsuit might be the result of a bone thrown to the Warren-Sanders wing of the party (that bone being the selection of some zealots for anti-trust positions). 

I wonder if Garland and Biden are taking the attitude "let the babies have their bottle", knowing full well that this effort is likely to fail. Some people need to learn lessons the hard way. But as someone who is not an anti-trust zealot and thinks it's vital for Biden to be re-elected so as to avoid a Trump dictatorship, I wish they could have waited to launch their suicide mission until after the election. 

If a GHW Bush type person could be the R nominee this year, I'd be very tempted to vote for him as a protest against this kind of stupidity. The country needs a sane center-right political party to maintain policy balance. 
    Kumingathtbadmonk
  • Reply 27 of 60
    nubus said:
    Kuminga said:
    I work for an investment firm as a back end researcher and by yesterday afternoon , my bosses  were basically laughing at this outdated and idiotic indictment and the fact that the actual attorney general was made to stand there and read these outdated charges .
    Your bosses should look at the Microsoft stock from 1995 to 2014. Antitrust cases don't help investors.
    Antitrust cases don’t necessarily hurt investors.  For Microsoft, the big headwinds for their stock during that period was due to the internet bust, the GFC, and Ballmer.
    I agree, except I'd put Ballmer first, second, and third. That dude was a disaster. Nadella has been SO much better. 
    muthuk_vanalingambadmonkronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 60
    blastdoor said:
    Kuminga said:
    More commentary on CNBC from George Mason Law Professor

” This DOJ case makes no sense”

https://youtu.be/JeOr_jEq4_g?si=EigJ6S1dqNHQ84SU
    I think there are some illiberal zealots working in anti-trust in the Biden administration. This lawsuit might be the result of a bone thrown to the Warren-Sanders wing of the party (that bone being the selection of some zealots for anti-trust positions). 

I wonder if Garland and Biden are taking the attitude "let the babies have their bottle", knowing full well that this effort is likely to fail. Some people need to learn lessons the hard way. But as someone who is not an anti-trust zealot and thinks it's vital for Biden to be re-elected so as to avoid a Trump dictatorship, I wish they could have waited to launch their suicide mission until after the election. 

If a GHW Bush type person could be the R nominee this year, I'd be very tempted to vote for him as a protest against this kind of stupidity. The country needs a sane center-right political party to maintain policy balance. 
    I agree 100 percent . Bone of not, this is no time to be trying to take down what is the crown jewel of American innovation . Apple is even loved in China for god sakes, what other American product can claim that?
    Kierkegaardenthtblastdoorbadmonk9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 60
    FYI: Merrick Garland is a centrist/moderate and so is Amy Klobucher who was the Senator spearheading the tech regulation legislation that never gained enough traction in 2021 and 2022.
    9secondkox2VictorMortimerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 60
    I love how the DOJ thinks that iMessage is a standard.. Apple can do whatever they want with iMessage - If you don't like it there are several other messaging apps out there.
    williamlondonbadmonkjbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 60
    thttht Posts: 5,608member
    nubus said:
    Kuminga said:
    The GFC? What's that?

I think MS' biggest issue post DOJ was that Windows was a performance, security and malware nightmare in the 00s, and they lost the search war to Google. There weren't that many happy Windows customers. Firefox was a way to protect yourself while browsing the web. Chrome replaced FireFox as the browser of choice for safer browsing and it supported Google services the best. Even Apple thought Safari had a chance of taking share on Windows.

It was not uncommon for Windows users to experience performance rot and they had to reformat their drive and re-install Windows to get performance back. Some had to do this every few months. Oh, it always needs to said, it was not safe to browse the web using Windows in the 00s. It was very easy to for a user to innocently install some piece of unremovable malware where the easiest fix was a reformat and re-install because the malware inserted itself somewhere in Windows boot sequence. I repeat, the easiest solution was to reformat you hard disk and reinstall everything!

The fact that MS survived with their office automation and PC OS monopoly unscathed is testament to their "durability" to borrow an anti-trust term, and the toothlessness of the DOJ settlement. A PC operating system can not be successful without MS Office. MS can kill macOS and Macs simply by not updating Office for Mac.

Theoretically, Office for Web can enable a PC OS with a full featured browser to gain share, but MS can dial that down by limiting Office Web features, which is what they currently do.

The only vector of attack left for a PC OS competitor is "free". Linux. Google Chrome PCs has search money to bankroll that. But a genuine operating system vendor for PCs, whose model is to sell licenses? Dead. No chance. The DOJ did nothing there.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 60
    tht said:
    nubus said:
    Kuminga said:
    The GFC? What's that?

I think MS' biggest issue post DOJ was that Windows was a performance, security and malware nightmare in the 00s, and they lost the search war to Google. There weren't that many happy Windows customers. Firefox was a way to protect yourself while browsing the web. Chrome replaced FireFox as the browser of choice for safer browsing and it supported Google services the best. Even Apple thought Safari had a chance of taking share on Windows.

It was not uncommon for Windows users to experience performance rot and they had to reformat their drive and re-install Windows to get performance back. Some had to do this every few months. Oh, it always needs to said, it was not safe to browse the web using Windows in the 00s. It was very easy to for a user to innocently install some piece of unremovable malware where the easiest fix was a reformat and re-install because the malware inserted itself somewhere in Windows boot sequence. I repeat, the easiest solution was to reformat you hard disk and reinstall everything!

The fact that MS survived with their office automation and PC OS monopoly unscathed is testament to their "durability" to borrow an anti-trust term, and the toothlessness of the DOJ settlement. A PC operating system can not be successful without MS Office. MS can kill macOS and Macs simply by not updating Office for Mac.

Theoretically, Office for Web can enable a PC OS with a full featured browser to gain share, but MS can dial that down by limiting Office Web features, which is what they currently do.

The only vector of attack left for a PC OS competitor is "free". Linux. Google Chrome PCs has search money to bankroll that. But a genuine operating system vendor for PCs, whose model is to sell licenses? Dead. No chance. The DOJ did nothing there.
    Yeah, XP was a disaster for security and that really was huge. 

But I also think Ballmer strongly believed in using every trick in the book to bully customers into using Microsoft products whether they wanted to or not. That came at the expense of making products that people really wanted to buy. MS Office is a great example. Under Nadella, it seems to me that MS has been focused on making Office the best it can be and available to as many people as possible. The Mac versions of key Office apps have been *much* better under Nadella than under Ballmer. 

Ballmer did too much damage to Windows Mobile/Phone for Nadella to be able to save it. Ballmer's attitude was basically, "FU, customer -- you're going to have to use Windows Mobile whether you want to or not because we're Microsoft and it's Windows and that's all there is to it!" His sense of entitlement was enormous. He completely dismissed iPhone and Android. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 60
    FYI: Merrick Garland is a centrist/moderate and so is Amy Klobucher who was the Senator spearheading the tech regulation legislation that never gained enough traction in 2021 and 2022.
    This is not tech regulation. This is trying to turn Disneyland to Yosemite national park because the people at  going to Yosemite on a $25’ticket might feel left out  looking a Disneyland and people visit g there in a $200 ticket .

all while not realizing most people visiting both parks freely chose to go there and are very happy with their choice.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 60
    Garland is a centrist for sure and I doubt this lawsuit is something he would have chosen, but overriding the zealots below him might have been hard. 

I don't know what Klobucher is. 
    9secondkox2
  • Reply 35 of 60
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 656member
    Fred257 said:
    Look, Apple is in the wrong here.  They will be found guilty if this goes to trial. Instead, Apple will slowly open up their ecosystem, just watch… IWatches will soon be available on Android. Third party app stores will be available (in very limited ways) in a couple years before trial.  Consumers will have more options to customize iOS to their liking.  It will be a win for both Apple and consumers. Why? Because I have kept up on a daily basis with Apple News and innovation since 1997 on a daily basis.  The only time we had massive amounts of software innovation is n the iPhone was when you could jailbreak your phone.  After Apple has closed off this with encryption software innovation has almost come to a screeching halt. 
    You live in a reality distortion field. Please list us the innovations resulting from jailbreaking a phone?
    Kumingawilliamlondon9secondkox2jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 60
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 656member
    andyring said:

Why?

Trump can run ads and have talking points like “Now Joe Biden wants to take away your gas stove, your reliable gas-powered car AND your iPhone!"
    Biden did not need to add this to the list of reasons not to vote for him. This is an affront to anyone with an iPhone. If you wanted to win Votes go after cable and telephone companies, private equity, and credit card companies. Merrick Garland has fumbled with Trump as well. Almost four years and nothing. 
    thtbadmonkwilliamlondon9secondkox2jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 60
    jimh2 said:
    andyring said:

Why?

Biden did not need to add this to the list of reasons not to vote for him. This is an affront to anyone with an iPhone. If you wanted to win Votes go after cable and telephone companies, private equity, and credit card companies. Merrick Garland has fumbled with Trump as well. Almost four years and nothing. 
    I agree again. Trump can completely make hay with this

. “Biden is trying to make your iPhones less secure with government meddling”

”Biden is trying to make your iPhones more easily accessed by government “

”Biden is trying to make your iPhones look like Android with no differentiation”

edited March 22 badmonk9secondkox2jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 60
    XedXed Posts: 2,816member
    On one hand I agree. On the other, Jim Cramer said to buy Apple.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 60
    nubusnubus Posts: 575member
    nubus said:
    Kuminga said:

The problems for MS started in 1995 - 5-6 years before the bubble and Ballmer. MS didn't get any boost from the bubble. For management and development to get sidetracked by legal issues is not good for a company.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 60
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 3,018member
    If there is one thing I’ve learned this last year, it’s that it doesn’t matter what the law says. It doesn’t matter how ethical a person or a company is, it only matters how corrupt the judge is. 

There have been enough psychotic decisions recently that the analysts don’t even know what to think anymore. 
    watto_cobra