Code hints at custom Apple Maps routes coming in iOS 18

Posted:
in iOS

Apple could introduce a new feature for planning custom routes in Apple Maps, but little is known beyond a code snippet callout of the feature in an iOS 18 file.

A screenshot of the Golden Gate Bridge in the cartoony style of Apple Maps
Apple Maps could get custom route planning in iOS 18

New operating system releases require a lot of preparation, so while WWDC 2024 isn't until June 10, Apple is already preparing server side. A file discovered in the Apple Maps back-end suggests that a new custom route feature could be inbound.

The code snippet was discovered by code sleuth Nicolas Alvarez and reported by MacRumors. The Maps back-end file is labeled "CustomRouteCreation."

If the name is exactly what it suggests, users will be able to create custom routes when planning a trip in Apple Maps. Currently, users can only select from a group of most likely routes and add stops manually afterward.

Apple will reveal updates to its services like Apple Maps, operating systems like iOS 18, and its rumored AI push during WWDC in June. The conference is being held from June 10 to June 14.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    About frickin' time!
    mobirdmuthuk_vanalingamOferlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    XedXed Posts: 2,571member
    I'm not sure I fully understand this new feature. You mean I'll be able to choose paths that aren't the fastest or shortest? If so, what's a good example of why I may want to do that?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Xed said:
    I'm not sure I fully understand this new feature. You mean I'll be able to choose paths that aren't the fastest or shortest? If so, what's a good example of why I may want to do that?
    Taking a guess…maybe you prefer a more scenic route to go someplace, a route you are familiar with. If you can choose that route and use Maps to guide you, you’ll also get the benefit of speed traps or other hazards, the posted speed limit, a fairly accurate ETA you can share with others and traffic alerts, too. 

I use Maps for navigating to places I know how to get to just to take advantage of those things. I could see using it for routes that it wouldn’t normally give me.  
    Oferred oakappleinsideruserlollivermattinozwatto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 4 of 10
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,103member
    Waze is still 100x better than Apple Maps on CarPlay. 
    grandact73williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 10
    tyler82 said:
    Not sure I agree with "100%", but in general, I believe Waze is still superior in a few respects.  For instance, Waze notifies me of route changes due to traffic, accidents, etc. much more quickly than Apple Maps.  However, Apple Map's waypoints feature is superior to Waze's single stop.  In addition, Apple Maps recovers from a missed turn much more quickly than Waze.  Waze is sometimes so slow at rerouting in such cases that it won't tell me the alternate until I've passed that one as well.
    edited March 27 lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    tyler82 said:
    100%? Tell that to my friend who stopped by my house just this weekend. As she got into her car to come over she said to her husband, “we have to use Apple Maps.” He looked at her and said, “I’m using Waze.”  20 minutes later, when they were at the destination that Waze directed them to she informed him that it wasn’t our house and not even our street (it was the right town, though). Oops. Out came Apple Maps and they made it to us. 
    lolliverwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,103member
    tyler82 said:
    100%? Tell that to my friend who stopped by my house just this weekend. As she got into her car to come over she said to her husband, “we have to use Apple Maps.” He looked at her and said, “I’m using Waze.”  20 minutes later, when they were at the destination that Waze directed them to she informed him that it wasn’t our house and not even our street (it was the right town, though). Oops. Out came Apple Maps and they made it to us. 
    It's idiotic how Apple Maps shows your route zoomed in within 50 feet or so of where your vehicle is on the map as you are traveling. You can't even see upcoming cross streets, traffic incidents, etc. Waze is so much more dynamic how it zooms in and out depending on how far you have to go. And traffic reporting and alerts are just more reliable. Maps is prettier, but Waze is more reliable and efficient.
    edited March 27 williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 10
    tyler82 said:
    tyler82 said:
    It's idiotic how Apple Maps shows your route zoomed in within 50 feet or so of where your vehicle is on the map as you are traveling. You can't even see upcoming cross streets, traffic incidents, etc. Waze is so much more dynamic how it zooms in and out depending on how far you have to go. And traffic reporting and alerts are just more reliable. Maps is prettier, but Waze is more reliable and efficient.
    If I’m understanding this correctly, you’re saying having dynamic zoom is more important than getting directions to the proper location. 

Well, if that’s what you think you should definitely start using Apple Maps because it gets people to the proper destination AND dynamically zooms in and out AND shows traffic and offers alternate routing and much more. The Apple Maps of 2024 is not the Apple Maps of 2014. 

williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    Xed said:
    Taking a guess…maybe you prefer a more scenic route to go someplace, a route you are familiar with. If you can choose that route and use Maps to guide you, you’ll also get the benefit of speed traps or other hazards, the posted speed limit, a fairly accurate ETA you can share with others and traffic alerts, too. 

I use Maps for navigating to places I know how to get to just to take advantage of those things. I could see using it for routes that it wouldn’t normally give me.  
    It would also be great if it knew of stuff on the to do list, clicks to collect, hardware items, etc, .... and could adjust the route "home" to swing by those locations. 
    beowulfschmidtwatto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 10 of 10
    aijwsaijws Posts: 12member
    I would just like Maps to allow me to Input a Starting Point (other than where I am now located) and a Destination Point, with the option to Input Several Waypoints In Between. 

Maybe it already exists and I just haven’t figured it out. But, I don’t want to have to go back and forth trying to figure things out just to get a simple Route, Distance and Time. 

1) Input Starting Point - Bam!

2) Input Destination Point - Bam!

(Maps Instantly Updates Routes, Distances and Times)

3) If Waypoints are desired, enter them as Step 2) 3) etc. until your Final Step is your Final Destination. 

Or, Allow for Adding Waypoints after Steps 1) and 2) by clicking on an Add Waypoints Button. 

Allow for rearranging Start, Destination and Waypoints by Dragging them Up or Down or Clicking on an Invert Route Button. Select One of the Waypoint or Destination (or even the Starting Point) and Delete them and have everything Instantly Update. 

Maps always seems to be doing what It Wants To Do rather than what I Want It To Do! 

Another thing I would like to see is the ability to Save that Route (and maybe Name it too)
    for easier Recall. I would also like to see Multiple Routes Displayed on the Map at the Same Time, to be able to Plan Different Segments, even if they have No Points In Common. 

As an aside, I have a beef with AppleInsider:

When trying to zoom in on a photo in an AI article, I somehow (accidentally) touch the photo and it darkens, as though I have selected it. I never intended to select it. I just wanted to get a better look at it. The only way to see it again is to touch another photo, which darkens that photo but lets the original photo become visible again, or else refresh the URL. 

Is this an AI only problem, or an iOS problem?

Whoever screwed this up needs to Fix it!
    edited March 28 williamlondonwatto_cobra