If you're getting dozens of password reset notifications, you're being attacked

Posted:
in iOS edited March 27

Apple users are becoming the target of a new wave of phishing attacks called "MFA Bombing" that relies on user impatience, and a bug in Apple's password reset mechanism.

An example of the Apple ID password reset notification
An example of the Apple ID password reset notification

Phishing attacks often rely on users supplying information to an attacker or allowing them to do something to their account, often via an email, text message, or other messaging means. A recently discovered phishing attack has used a new route to make victims fall for it, by using Apple's password reset system.

Dubbed "MFA Bombing," "MFA Fatigue," or "Push Bombing," the attack detailed by Krebs on Security is an elaborate phishing attack that appears to revolve around a bug in the password reset feature. Victims are inundated by "Reset Password" notifications, including the text "Use this iPhone to reset your Apple ID password," and the options to allow or reject the request.

This notification is genuine. It is usually displayed once to the user when they attempt to reset their Apple ID password, as a form of multi-factor authentication on an iPhone, Mac, iPad, or Apple Watch.

The problem with the attack is that the attacker is bombarding the target with so many notifications. It is hoped the user will either accidentally select Allow instead of Don't Allow, or will be annoyed by the deluge of notifications that they will select Allow in order to make it stop.

In this instance, selecting Allow would let the attacker reset the Apple ID password, granting access to the account.

Notifications, then calls

If the sheer number of notifications doesn't work for the attackers, a second phase can occur, if they know the target's phone number.

The victim is called by the attackers, posing as Apple Support, with the calling phone number spoofed to display Apple's actual customer support number. After an unusual number of notifications that may seem like a bug, an unwary victim may believe the caller is genuinely from Apple itself.

Last night, I was targeted for a sophisticated phishing attack on my Apple ID.

This was a high effort concentrated attempt at me.

Other founders are being targeted by the same group/attack, so I'm sharing what happened for visibility.

Here's how it went down:

-- Parth (@parth220_)

Victims are then asked to verify their information, with the attacker using data sources such as websites that offer identity details to "confirm" other account details, all to be more convincing.

Once the victim believes the caller is Apple Support, the attacker can then trigger for an Apple ID reset code to be sent to the victim, in a bid to get them to reveal the one-time password to the "support agent." Again, this allows the attacker to reset the account password and lock the user out.

Not easily avoided

In the case of one Apple user who was hit by the notifications across multiple days and was concerned about how easily they could've granted an attacker access, they contacted the genuine Apple Support about the issues, and was escalated to a senior Apple engineer.

The engineer advised that enabling an Apple Recovery Key would prevent an attacker from using the standard account recovery process. This entailed the generation of a 28-character code that would be used for account recoveries.

However, despite having it enabled on their account, the password reset notifications continued to flow.

Apple did not respond to Krebs' requests for comment about the issue.

It is unknown whether Apple actually knows about the possible notification bug in the password recovery system. However, it has previously dealt with a similar notification issue.

In 2019, an exploit called "AirDoS" allowed an attacker to constantly spam nearby iOS devices with a prompt to share a file via AirDrop. The issue was fixed in iOS 13.3, four months after its discovery, with Apple adding stricter rate limiting to AirDrop requests.

How to protect yourself from MFA Bombing

Apple users facing such an attack have a few opportunities to ward off the attack. But, at this time, the notifications cannot be stopped from coming through.

Victims do have to be vigilant and to select "Don't Allow" every single time it appears.

If the attackers call up pressing for the code, the best practice is to tell them that you will call them back, via the official Apple support number. Apple also will not provide customer information over the phone as a form of verification, which is another indicator that the caller isn't genuine.

Enabling the Apple Recovery Key is a more extreme option that will help ensure the account password reset cannot be performed by an attacker. It does require you to hold onto a lengthy passcode to perform the action for yourself in the future -- and as the notification for it says, the code shouldn't be provided to anybody, even on request.

Read on AppleInsider

dewme

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    TechnoguideTechnoguide Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    This has happened to me over the last 6 months at least two dozen times.   What's worse, those push notifications come through even in Do Not Disturb or Sleep Focus, and pings all devices in a home at once (often late at night.)  In addition, authentic "Account Recovery" emails come from Apple's own servers saying your account will be recovered by an unknown phone number! Apple knows this is happening and their suggestion was to change your Apple ID.  Not an easy process. Suggestion to Apple: Set a flag in Privacy to disable account recovery from the web, which is the path attackers are using. Here is my tweet from October 2023 about this nefarious situation: https://x.com/SkytechIO/status/1709937944331768003?s=20
    muthuk_vanalingamAlex1Ndewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Say I might’ve been attacked like this in 2022 but I haven’t seen anything be changed/charged… i shouldn’t be worried right? I think I still have a photo of it happening 
    pulseimageswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I got the "Apple support" call a few weeks ago after a few password reset requests a day or days earlier (I don't remember for certain).  I hung up of course, but some iPhone owners almost certainly fall for it, at least enough to make the scam worthwhile. 

Not just Apple of course. Google sent me a notification that someone was claiming ownership of my web domain, and they wanted to confirm the transfer before doing anything. :/
    Alex1N
  • Reply 4 of 11
    longpathlongpath Posts: 393member
    I was targeted with this attack. I suspected it was an attack and supposed that meant my password was breached, so I manually altered it and signed out everything signed into my account, to shut down this attack vector. I don’t know how much data was compromised prior to me resetting my password.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    I've got a very simple way of confirming whether the incoming call is legitimate or not. In this case, if it really IS Apple Support calling me about something important and I'm actually tempted to believe it, before I reveal even one small piece of information about myself, I simply hang up, and call the number I REALLY KNOW TO BE APPLE SUPPORT, and ask them if they've been trying to reach me. Simple. No muss. No fuss.
    ronnjas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator

Apple users facing such an attack have a few opportunities to ward off the attack. But, at this time, the notifications cannot be stopped from coming through. 

iOS should really have a feature to stop notification bombing. Even for incoming emails, it can be overwhelming. It should have an option to do aggregate notifications every few minutes and an option to suspend notifications from a particular source. Not to mention Apple's password reset mechanism shouldn't be able to be abused like this, nobody spams resets to themselves over and over so Apple should block the service for the spammer when it's being used like this.
    Alex1Njas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    XedXed Posts: 2,572member
    I've got a very simple way of confirming whether the incoming call is legitimate or not. In this case, if it really IS Apple Support calling me about something important and I'm actually tempted to believe it, before I reveal even one small piece of information about myself, I simply hang up, and call the number I REALLY KNOW TO BE APPLE SUPPORT, and ask them if they've been trying to reach me. Simple. No muss. No fuss.
    Yep. Never trust an incoming call. My devices still have the 1-800-MY-APPLE number in it.

I also suggest this advice for emails. The only time I click on account links in an email is if I've explicitly just requested it from the account. Otherwise, when they send me something, I will go to my app or Favorited URL. If the info isn't in my account it's not real.
    Alex1Njas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    I don't understand how the assholes are generating these notices on devices. By what means are they causing the password reset notification to appear? If they can do that remotely aren't they already in your system at that point?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    The Reset Password notification is too simple not to be trapped. Apple should provide more info. This article also lacks the steps to trace any log if the user has allowed password reset. 
    jas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    Marvin said:

iOS should really have a feature to stop notification bombing. Even for incoming emails, it can be overwhelming. It should have an option to do aggregate notifications every few minutes and an option to suspend notifications from a particular source. Not to mention Apple's password reset mechanism shouldn't be able to be abused like this, nobody spams resets to themselves over and over so Apple should block the service for the spammer when it's being used like this.
    I don’t know why all messaging systems (excluding some VPNs and private links), including emails, texts, phone calls, FTP connections, P2P connections, update services, etc., don’t use some form of a certificate based authentication system to verify the sender’s authenticity. Yeah, this would put a big demand on authentication servers, certificate management (everyone would need a unique PKI certificate), and introduce a small delay in the communication process, but we’ve gone too far with the primitive systems currently in place. The performance of most communication systems has improved significantly in the past few years. Even if you’re still stuck with a slower connectivity service, the extra delay of receiving a message is nothing compared to the massive suckfest you’ll encounter when you’ve been hacked. I’m sure they can find ways to optimize the process, perhaps modeling the certificate processing using a distributed model like DNS.  

On a similar topic, I’ve been struggling to find a way to filter out Apple mail messages based on spoofed sender identifiers that follow a similar pattern, like “PayPal ©”. I’ve been getting numerous emails that follow this pattern, mostly for subscriptions I don’t even have but some I do. Using Apple Mail’s filtering feature is of no avail since the “From” filter doesn’t interpret the spoofed identifier but uses the hidden sender address, which is a randomized address. Sure, I can simply Block each one individually, but I’d like to have a bigger hammer to crush all emails that follow a pattern in the spoofed identifier. I already have hundreds of Blocked senders. To add insult to injury the message content in these phishing emails is one big image that contains a single link to the phisherman’s nefarious website. These images all contain what looks like text, but it’s just an image of text so you can’t filter based on the text either. I know Apple can pull text out of images, but that functionality isn’t part of Apple Mail or the filtering mechanism.

This never ending game of whack-a-mole is getting tiresome. 

edited March 28 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    RodanRodan Posts: 1member
    Apple has released a supplemental (Revised) firmware update to iOS 17.4.1 which I believe may be in response to these MFA bombing attacks but beware.

After becoming aware of this update which can only be done via cable connection to your Mac and consulting a few others in the field I decided to apply it.  On connecting my iPhone 13 Pro Max currently running 17.4.1 to my M1 MBP and checking for updates there was indeed an update.

I dutifully clicked "Update" and the download commenced.  On completion of the download installation began and proceeded roughly halfway before I received a Notification:
    The problem with this was the only option offered was to click "OK" resulting in; "There is a problem with the iPhone "iPhone", which requires it to be updated or restored."  And in the resulting dialogue I get; "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (9)."
    This put me into a loop.  Ejecting the iPhone resulted in DFU mode and reconnecting it put me back to, "There is a problem with the iPhone "iPhone", which requires it to be updated or restored."  Note the iPhone is now called, "iPhone", not "Rod's iPhone 13 Pro Max". 

The only way I was able to get out of this was to employ a third party app that I had previously used to backup my iPhone and I was able to restore it using that.
    So, maybe I was just unlucky, a number of other people I've spoken to have successfully applied this "revision" although they all note it took an inordinately long time.  
    My point is, until this revision is released as an OTA (Over The Air) update I advise caution using it.  I nearly "bricked" my iPhone and I wouldn't want others to suffer the same fate.
    In the mean time as regards the MFA bombing attack you can always simply decline the offer to change your password as per this article on 9to5Mac;
    https://9to5mac.com/2024/03/28/protect-against-iphone-password-reset-attacks/

muthuk_vanalingam