Phil Schiller will be Apple's ecosystem defender for quite some time

Posted:
in General Discussion
Phil Schiller is Apple's biggest defender of Apple's ecosystem, a profile into the Apple Fellow declares, with the executive publicly beating the drum to maintain the vision of co-founder Steve Jobs.

Phil Schiller, Apple Fellow
Phil Schiller, Apple Fellow

Apple's many regulatory and legal scrapes about the
App Store, including its long-running battle against Epic Games and having to deal with the EU's Digital Markets Act, often had the company defending its policies and ways of working. At the forefront of that has been Phil Schiller, who is painted as a long-time defender of the ecosystem.

In a profile by the Wall Street Journal on Wednesday, Schiller is described as the man who delivers the message that Apple won't back down on matters such as ecosystem control and commission fees.

"I have no qualms in saying that our goal is going to always be to make the App Store the safest, best place for users to get apps," Schiller is quoted in a recent interview. "I think users - and the whole developer ecosystem - have benefited from that work that we've done together with them. And we're going to keep doing that."

Schiller's role in defending Apple's App Store practices includes being a key company witness during the 2021 courtroom battle with Epic Games. He insisted to the court that Apple had invested in the store, avoided charging for some types of apps, and tried to make the storefront as fair as it could.

He has also struck back against Epic Games in relation to the EU Digital Markets Act, with one email published in February accusing Epic of not intending to follow the new rules the regulations were implementing. Schiller also insists that third-party app stores the DMA would allow could result in objectionable content being seen by users, as well as security risks Apple worked to minimize.

Steve Jobs' Mini-Me

Part of Schiller's defensiveness of the App Store is down to his early involvement in it. He was an early supporter of allowing third-party apps into the store, and was one of the executives that convinced Steve Jobs that it could be viable if a review process was used to monitor software within it.

Steve Jobs in black and white
Phil Schiller carries the torch for Steve Jobs' vision

Following the passing of Jobs in 2011, Schiller attempted to maintain the former CEO's philosophy, sometimes mirroring Jobs' competitiveness and tendency to disparage rival firms. Internally, Apple employees likened him to a Jobs "mini-me."

"Of the people still at Apple, he is one of the few that still carry the torch of Steve Jobs' vision," according to Apple analyst Tim Bajarin who has known Schiller for years.

Claimed to still be working nearly 80 hours a week, Schiller is also continuing his legacy at Apple. After being involved in the development and marketing of many major Apple products, he is part of the history of the company, and is still deeply involved in his nebulous Apple Fellow position.

Even now, it seems Schiller will continue to be an ardent defender of Apple and its App Store.

"He's a brick wall when it comes to these matters," said Phillip Shoemaker, who ran the App Store Review group until 2016 under Schiller's leadership. "I just don't think he's ever going to leave."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    "Of the people still at Apple, he is one of the few that still carry the torch of Steve Jobs' vision," according to Apple analyst Tim Bajarin who has known Schiller for years."

This is great to hear.
    NickoTTtmayiOS_Guy80StrangeDayswatto_cobramarklark
  • Reply 2 of 17
    The guy who said 'can't innovate any more, my ass' with the macPro trashcan? Please ...
    nubusmichelb76williamlondongrandact73marklark
  • Reply 3 of 17
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    RigiDigi said:
    The guy who said 'can't innovate any more, my ass' with the macPro trashcan? Please ...
    Yes the guy who introduced the Pro desktop that has evolved into the Mac Studio and outsells the legacy tower models 10:1. The same thing Steve Jobs wanted to do decades ago.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2000/07/19Apple-Introduces-Revolutionary/

"The G4 Cube is simply the coolest computer ever," said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. "An entirely new class of computer, it marries the Pentium-crushing performance of the Power Mac G4 with the miniaturization, silent operation and elegant desktop design of the iMac. It is an amazing engineering and design feat, and we’re thrilled to finally unveil it to our customers"

G4 Cube = 7.7" x 7.7" x 9.8"
    Mac Studio = 7.7" x 7.7" x 3.7"

Some products are just ahead of their time. People like Phil, Tim etc go the distance and make sure they get there in the end.
    badmonkfreeassociate2tmayiOS_Guy80dewmewilliamlondonStrangeDayswatto_cobramarklark
  • Reply 4 of 17
    nubusnubus Posts: 386member
    RigiDigi said:
    So very true. He did however work closely with Jobs as seen in the launch of iBook: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MR4R5LdrJw
    Not sure those skills convert well into negotiations with US+EU politicians.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 17
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    Phil has always been the likeable 'marketing' man and a 'Fireman Phil' to put out public relations fires when they popped up. He probably has a not so likeable side which is shielded from view but no one would expect him to be a saint. 

When Steve was too ill to present, he stepped in, and while visibly nervous and a little out of his depth, did a stellar job, all things considered. 

But he's a 'seller' before he's anything else and will always defend his brand. It's his job and duty really.

The Trash Can 'goof' was nice to see because it was pure Phil. You could never imagine Tim Cook saying something like that. 

He might not be the same now. Maybe he's just too long in the tooth but he was there through thick and thin and defending the brand. That's admirable. He's an Apple guy. 
    thtnubusdewmemarklark
  • Reply 6 of 17
    citpekscitpeks Posts: 246member
    avon b7 said:
    He might not be the same now. Maybe he's just too long in the tooth but he was there through thick and thin and defending the brand. That's admirable. He's an Apple guy. 

Apple's stubborn refusal to make reasonable, measured concessions in the way it does business has had the predictable effect -- regulators around the world who have had Apple in their sights have now pulled their triggers, with both barrels from the EU and US the latest and largest.

Cook strikes me as an adaptable guy, shown by the way he's able to navigate the fraught geopolitical waters that the company navigates, and mostly avoid the criticism that would easily come from being so invested in China.

But if he is indeed the one who has left Schiller to mind the App Store, and allowed him to maintain the hard line stance with regard its policies, then I think that may have been a mistake.  Taking the same all-or-nothing, take-it-or-leave-it stance in how it deals with developers, large and small, has now brought consequences, where Apple might be forced to take steps beyond what it could have voluntarily taken, because it, or he in particular, felt that the company was too and powerful to have anyone push it around.

Worse, it has come at the result of the lobbying from hypocrites like Sweeney and Ek, who bear no admirable qualities of their own; they're sharks on their own accords.

A marketing guy, no matter how tenured, should not be the one making overall strategic decisions like that.  That's the CEO's job.

I've been an Apple user all my life, and the way the company exerts its market power should disconcerting to anyone who recalls what Microsoft did in the past, and how Mac users vehemently railed against them and their conduct.  That shoe is now on the proverbial other foot.
    muthuk_vanalingamwilliamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 17
    michelb76michelb76 Posts: 621member
    They found one of the remaining fossils to defend the company. He's probably just as stuck in the old ways it will be easy for him to defend and deflect. Never mind that the world around them has moved on. I love my safety on my Apple devices, but there a lot of ways to achieve that that are good for business AND be more open.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 17
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,307member
    RigiDigi said:
    That's a lousy cheap shot. You could say the same about SJ and the G4 Cube.  Smart people sometimes make mistakes. 
    williamlondonStrangeDayswatto_cobramarklark
  • Reply 9 of 17
    blastdoor said:
    RigiDigi said:
    That's a lousy cheap shot. You could say the same about SJ and the G4 Cube.  Smart people sometimes make mistakes. 
    But you are not allowed to make huge mistakes.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 17
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,307member
    I wonder if the best way to defend the ecosystem is to shrink it a bit to make it very, very clear that Apple does NOT have anything approaching a monopoly. 

In the EU, just shrink enough to avoid the 'gatekeeper' (or whatever else they want to call it) label. 

In the US, maybe get iPhone marketshare down below 40 percent.

That doesn't mean Apple can't grow in other ways. The Mac has a lot of room for growth before bumping into attention from the anti-trust guys. And of course there's always new product categories. 

Apple's goal historically has been to have the best customers, not the most customers. Maybe they should double down on that idea. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 17
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,376member
    I’m with Phil on this. Great success should bring great rewards. How many of the ecosystem detractors would be happy spending their entire career building something up only to have it picked apart by those who have never achieved great things? If you want to knock Apple off of its high perch you’re going to have to build and deliver something that’s much better than what Apple has already delivered. Who’s up for the challenge? Any takers? I suppose that destroying what others have built is so much easier than putting your own resourcefulness, perseverance, and competency to the test. It takes millions of dollars and man hours to put up a beautiful building but any a-hole with a few hundred dollars worth of dynamite to bring it all down.

There’s a name for people who don’t admit and learn from their mistakes: idiots.
    canukstormwilliamlondonStrangeDayswatto_cobramarklark
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Third-party developer relations has always been Schiller’s remit. He is the Phil of the first Apple Developer Group CD, titled “Phil and Dave’s Excellent CD,” which dates to WWDC 1989. So the App Store is his natural turf.
    watto_cobramarklark
  • Reply 13 of 17
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    RigiDigi said:
    The MP was innovative, they just bet on a different type of processing power rising to the top, and on that instance, bet wrong. That happens when you take chances. What have you done that’s worth bragging about? Surely you too have decades of successes for every miss, yes?
    watto_cobramarklark
  • Reply 14 of 17
    michelb76 said:
    They found one of the remaining fossils to defend the company. He's probably just as stuck in the old ways it will be easy for him to defend and deflect. Never mind that the world around them has moved on. I love my safety on my Apple devices, but there a lot of ways to achieve that that are good for business AND be more open.
    It’s almost as if Apple had a meteoric rise to become the most successful publicly traded company in the history of the human race under his lead as head of product & marketing. 

But hey, I’m sure you kill it at work too. 
    edited March 28 watto_cobramarklark
  • Reply 15 of 17
    citpeks said:
    avon b7 said:
    He might not be the same now. Maybe he's just too long in the tooth but he was there through thick and thin and defending the brand. That's admirable. He's an Apple guy. u

A marketing guy, no matter how tenured, should not be the one making overall strategic decisions like that.  That's the CEO's job.

I've been an Apple user all my life, and the way the company exerts its market power should disconcerting to anyone who recalls what Microsoft did in the past, and how Mac users vehemently railed against them and their conduct.  That shoe is now on the proverbial other foot.
    Nah, you just don’t know Apple very well. They’re atypical in that marketing doesn’t just market the products *after* development at the end. They’re an active product owner and part of development. 

How can you claim to be a life long Apple fan and not know these tenant about how they uniquely operate? Hmm. 
    watto_cobramarklark
  • Reply 16 of 17
    blastdoor said:
    RigiDigi said:
    But you are not allowed to make huge mistakes.
    Huh? What does that even mean?

Man the quality of the trolls has gone downhill. I’m guessing you dudes weren’t even born when the Mac came out. Troll harder my dudes. This ain’t MacRumors where it’s all keyboard warrior kids who don’t know Apple’s history or understand the nuances of how Apple works. 
    edited March 28 watto_cobramarklark
  • Reply 17 of 17
    RigiDigi said:
    The MP was innovative, they just bet on a different type of processing power rising to the top, and on that instance, bet wrong. That happens when you take chances. What have you done that’s worth bragging about? Surely you too have decades of successes for every miss, yes?
    Isn't that a silly qualification needed for anyone to express their opinions about anything in their life?
    ctt_zh