AMD and Apple have been talking...

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 98
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anonymous Karma

BTW, does anybody know what the registers in the x86-64 are called? EEAX?

Looks like RAX:

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/2003...4bit_registers

'Course, more detailed stuff on AMD's site but I already had this link open.

MM
  • Reply 82 of 98
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,467member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eskimo

#5 isn't true I met a nice Apple employee in the bathroom once

What an interesting topic

While potentially interesting I've met all sorts of interesting people in our office too without it leading to any major partnerships. You're just taunting us Eskimo, that is so cruel...

Trivia question: which AMD processor has Apple used in the past?
  • Reply 83 of 98
    Quote:

Originally posted by Programmer

I don't know about the "in the past" part, but I can tell you one they're using currently:

Quote:

Many customers have selected AMD Alchemy Solutions processors to power a wide variety of products, including the Sony VPL-PX15 LCD Data Projector and the Apple AirPort Extreme.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/030219/190311_1.html

Don't worry folks - it's just a 32-bit MIPS. Apparently they switched to the MIPS from their previous (Nat Semi?) x86-based Airport product.
  • Reply 84 of 98
    nevynnevyn Posts: 360member
    Quote:

I want to say the DSP on the Apple Graphics Card 8*24 GC.

AMD 29000

A short search (I LOVE google.) shows yeppers:

Apple 8*24 GC

Edit added:

Which, by the way, rocked. It was a hardware graphics acceleration card - back when things like that were $1000. Programs that could use it were quite cool. Of course, it works with a very narrow range of Mac OSes, and is _extremely_ irritating to always run it in unaccelerated mode.
  • Reply 85 of 98
    eskimoeskimo Posts: 474member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anonymous Karma

Don't worry folks - it's just a 32-bit MIPS. Apparently they switched to the MIPS from their previous (Nat Semi?) x86-based Airport product.

Actually the older base station used an embedded K6 processor from AMD's embedded products division.

Quote:

While potentially interesting I've met all sorts of interesting people in our office too without it leading to any major partnerships. You're just taunting us Eskimo, that is so cruel...

Ain't I a stinker? I guess I should still respect my AMD NDA even though they let me go
  • Reply 86 of 98
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eskimo

Ain't I a stinker? I guess I should still respect my AMD NDA even though they let me go

Ah, they cut you loose, eh? Sorry to hear that, but I respect your respecting NDAs even if it is frustrating to all of us rumour mongering sorts.
  • Reply 87 of 98
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nevyn

I want to say the DSP on the Apple Graphics Card 8*24 GC.

AMD 29000

A short search (I LOVE google.) shows yeppers:

Apple 8*24 GC

Edit added:

Which, by the way, rocked. It was a hardware graphics acceleration card - back when things like that were $1000. Programs that could use it were quite cool. Of course, it works with a very narrow range of Mac OSes, and is _extremely_ irritating to always run it in unaccelerated mode.

Yep, AMD 29000 was the answer I was looking for ... the airport still uses AMD processors although I wasn't aware that they'd changed types. Incidentally, Apple used the AMD 29000 in some printers as well (probably far more than in those graphics cards).

These days it makes more sense to have multiple AltiVec-enabled PowerPCs in an SMP configuration than it does to have one general purpose processor dedicated to graphics rasterization.
  • Reply 88 of 98
    Quote:

Yep, AMD 29000 was the answer I was looking for ... the airport still uses AMD processors although I wasn't aware that they'd changed types. Incidentally, Apple used the AMD 29000 in some printers as well (probably far more than in those graphics cards).

These days it makes more sense to have multiple AltiVec-enabled PowerPCs in an SMP configuration than it does to have one general purpose processor dedicated to graphics rasterization.

Though this is way off-topic -- what's new? -- I thought that AMD used to have a major presence in chips for laser printers. Did any ever turn up in a Laserwriter?
  • Reply 89 of 98
    Quote:

The enemy of my enemy is my friend? I think people forget AMD would like PPC to go away as much as Intel.

Sure. But doesn't it make sense to think that the fragmentation of 64-bit x86 APIs is a bad thing overall for those guys, and therefore a good thing for the PPC?
  • Reply 90 of 98
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    Quote:

Originally posted by boy_analog

Sure. But doesn't it make sense to think that the fragmentation of 64-bit x86 APIs is a bad thing overall for those guys, and therefore a good thing for the PPC?

Absolutely, but at 3% we're not really benefiting from it because we're not seen as a viable business alternative.

I think the 970 could change that slowly, especially if IBM uses it in more than Blades.
  • Reply 91 of 98
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    It'll be interesting to see how well the 970 will scale compared to the Opteron. If the 970 is introduced at the WWDC in June at speeds of up to 1.8 ghz we will have both speed and performance parity with the Opteron. We can only hope that IBM will be able to improve speeds in the same way, or maybe better, than AMD is. If Apple goes with the 970 and it stands still at 1.8 ghz for a year while the Opteron reaches 2.5 ghz, will people still think that the 970 was the right choice. We know the 970+ is coming, but when? Interesting times it is... interesting times indeed...
  • Reply 92 of 98
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

It'll be interesting to see how well the 970 will scale compared to the Opteron. If the 970 is introduced at the WWDC in June at speeds of up to 1.8 ghz we will have both speed and performance parity with the Opteron. We can only hope that IBM will be able to improve speeds in the same way, or maybe better, than AMD is. If Apple goes with the 970 and it stands still at 1.8 ghz for a year while the Opteron reaches 2.5 ghz, will people still think that the 970 was the right choice. We know the 970+ is coming, but when? Interesting times it is... interesting times indeed...

Didnt IBM already pre-anounce a faster 970...something in the range of 2.5 ghz, and then cancel the actual announcement? I have a suspicion that IBM has faster than 1.8 ghz 970's (and remember this was the original high end for the 13 nm process) ready to go, but may not have enough of them to go into full production for thier blades. Or possibly they have some deal with Apple that allows Apple to make the "official" high end speed anouncemnt at WWDC. Either way from what I have read the seams to be ahead of scheduel, and could be released at speeds above 2 ghz right away. The move to the 9 nm process (by the end of the year?) should bring additional speed increases in a relatively short time.
  • Reply 93 of 98
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Quote:

Actually there is an AMD RISC CPU in the new 2003 Airport Extreme base station:

http://www.vonwentzel.net/ABS/Dissec...eme/index.html
  • Reply 94 of 98
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

Actually there is an AMD RISC CPU in the new 2003 Airport Extreme base station:

http://www.vonwentzel.net/ABS/Dissec...eme/index.html

Yow. That's a REALLY big picture. Would you mind just linking to it instead of including it in your post?

FYI my post above has a link to the press release from AMD which talks about this. That's a 32-bit MIPS processor from AMD's Alchemy series.
  • Reply 95 of 98
    Quote:

Originally posted by @homenow

Didnt IBM already pre-anounce a faster 970...something in the range of 2.5 ghz, and then cancel the actual announcement? I have a suspicion that IBM has faster than 1.8 ghz 970's (and remember this was the original high end for the 13 nm process) ready to go, but may not have enough of them to go into full production for thier blades. Or possibly they have some deal with Apple that allows Apple to make the "official" high end speed anouncemnt at WWDC. Either way from what I have read the seams to be ahead of scheduel, and could be released at speeds above 2 ghz right away. The move to the 9 nm process (by the end of the year?) should bring additional speed increases in a relatively short time.

I think you are probably on the right track with this. IBM can't stand still at 1.8GHz and the recalled press release about the 2.5GHz is encouraging. On top of the many already mentioned, a reason IBM needs to get cracking is that a 2.0GHz Opteron is already just around the corner and 2.2 or more might be in place by July-Aug.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9152

Not only that but the Athlon64 is likely to debut at ~2.4 Ghz.

MM
  • Reply 96 of 98
    coscos Posts: 99member
    Is Apple Creating a Pink Panther?

http://www.oscast.com/stories/storyReader$364

Here's a few interesting quotes from the article:

"Is there a connection between Apple's Mac OS X Panther and an early-nineties-era operating system developed by Apple and IBM, code-named "Pink"? I think so.

Those of you that followed tech news during that era might remember that Pink was Apple's response to the development of an operating system named NeXTSTEP, which was produced by an up and coming competitor to Apple, named NeXT.

NeXTSTEP ran on several different computing platforms including Intel's 80x86 and was run by an entrepreneur by the name of Steve Jobs. Those that used the OS, described it as being way ahead of its time."

"Consider the irony. Apple worked with IBM to destroy the same company that would eventually take over Apple, give it its OS, its CEO, and eventually follow through by partnering with IBM once again.

So, is it conceivable that Mr. Jobs -- now faced with the opportunity to work with the same giant that once threatened his company, only to return more powerful -- would adopt the same strategic business plan to inflict on one of his competitors?"

"In the same way that Linux is an interruption to Microsoft's monopoly, AMD is an interruption to Intel's. If Pink Panther were made available to x86 users, the most likely delivery method would be AMD's Opteron.

"AMD's 64-bit technology is incompatible with Intel's 64-bit. If AMD's 64 succeeds as the dominant standard, then the Wintel duopoly is disrupted. If disrupting Intel and Microsoft's duopoly is the key to taking market share away, Pink Panther running on Opteron would achieve this goal perfectly."

Read the full article here: http://www.oscast.com/stories/storyReader$364
  • Reply 97 of 98
    HI,,,

It is hard to say wich CPU Apple will chose !?!?!?!

if they take AMD maybe it will be posible to PC users running AMD64 to install OSX64 and Windows AMD64 (with some hacke to OSX if it will be not compatable to PC hardware)...

now I like to ask could this happen ????

that will be some how nice for PC users to get the POWER of Apple .....

Apple had the ide before to make and OS that works with PCs ... but they didn't give it a big push...

do they think about it again by using AMD64 ??

will the time will answer the right answer :-)

Have a nice day

Sarmad M. Azad

Førde, Norway
  • Reply 98 of 98
    neumacneumac Posts: 93member
    Some interesting stuff from the Financial Times:

AMD Puts Its Hopes on Opteron

"Intel_is carefully watching the progress of a new type of 64-bit chip launched last week by_Advanced Micro Devices. It will produce one similar if the market shows demand.

This is the first time Intel, the world's leader in PC microprocessors, has said it would challenge AMD's Opteron, which combines 32-bit and 64-bit technologies.

But Intel will not say if it has an Opteron-like chip in the works - a development process that typically takes about two years."

"Not surprisingly, Intel is confident in predicting Opteron's failure. "It has yet to be truly evaluated and there is a lack of all the software and tools that are needed to support a new microprocessor," Intel said"