Jony Ive is now looking for funding to jump on the AI development train

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,033member
    LOLOLOLOLOL 

the rich guy looking for a handout 

It’s not for himself. It’s venture capital. 

While different story. 
    Which is still for himself, so he doesn’t have to spend his own money. The guy is worth three-quarters of a billion dollars, he could fund much of it if he wanted to spend his own money, but they never do. 

Why he needs $1B for this startup is a separate question, that seems really high. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra9secondkox2
  • Reply 22 of 25
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,033member
    tht said:
    Seems to be running at least 2 years late if they are only at the raising venture capital stage now. All they have had are brainstorming sessions?! And, OpenAI is not giving LoveFrom enough money to at least prototype something? That's weird. And LoveFrom wants $1b? That's a lot!

I'm pretty skeptical of consumer oriented generative LLM devices. If it is a voice only device, I think it fails. Voice interfaces are horrible. It's non-deterministic and low information density while taking high cognitive load. It is just not something a large fraction of the market will get into imo. It would be an interesting feature to see evolve on our existing devices, but even there, I wonder how popular it will be. It will have to be something very suitable for those types of models.

On the backend and for services, we will surely be tortured by chat bots. Travel agents, helper chat bots, etc. Yeah, it's already quite frustrating to try to talk to a human for this or that during a phone call, but now there is or will be an additional gate of the chat bot sounding human, designed to not help while making the wall ever higher to get some kind of customer service.

Don't understand why there is so much enthusiasm from the tech mediarati for this. They are bored, just like in the first round of voice interfaces when Amazon Echo/Alexa devices was the new "it" technology. Apple was so far behind there as I recall. The Internet of Things? Machine learning? VR? I'm not even sure why people think Apple needs to have "AI" when it primarily exists as a search service and eventually, primarily driven by ad sales, something that is not Apple.
    Agreed, chat bots have no function in my life. Couldn’t care less about them. Even yelling “Apple needs AI!” remind me of the netbooks craze. 
    watto_cobra9secondkox2
  • Reply 23 of 25
  • Reply 24 of 25
    Apple should be aware that their market position could be in danger anytime .
    Who knows.. Maybe, Jony Ive launches a very successful hardware product with Sam Altman, which makes iPhone obosolete. 

Tim Cook has been a great CEO at maintaining status quo. Apple has become too big to move in an innovative environment. 
    Maybe, an unpopular opinion: Tim Cook is clueless and is poor at using the current human capital allocation in an effective and efficient way when I see that a lof ot members move from A to B (Team from Apple Car to AI, Kevin Lynch from Apple Car to Apple Watch to Ai etc.).

Such moves come very late as Apple has been struggling to create LLMs and other tools have to compete with the industry's best directly.

Giannandrea could have stayed at Google. I don't know what this guy has achieved at Apple so far. Was he an added value? Maybe, a wrong scout from Tim Cook or Apple. 

Given the current situation at Apple, I would not wonder if we will ever see new hardwares in 10 years which could make iPhone obsolete. 

Now, most people don't believe and can't imagine Apple will sink, but who knows...

• Reply 25 of 25
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 3,005member
    tht said:
    Seems to be running at least 2 years late if they are only at the raising venture capital stage now. All they have had are brainstorming sessions?! And, OpenAI is not giving LoveFrom enough money to at least prototype something? That's weird. And LoveFrom wants $1b? That's a lot!

I'm pretty skeptical of consumer oriented generative LLM devices. If it is a voice only device, I think it fails. Voice interfaces are horrible. It's non-deterministic and low information density while taking high cognitive load. It is just not something a large fraction of the market will get into imo. It would be an interesting feature to see evolve on our existing devices, but even there, I wonder how popular it will be. It will have to be something very suitable for those types of models.

On the backend and for services, we will surely be tortured by chat bots. Travel agents, helper chat bots, etc. Yeah, it's already quite frustrating to try to talk to a human for this or that during a phone call, but now there is or will be an additional gate of the chat bot sounding human, designed to not help while making the wall ever higher to get some kind of customer service.

Don't understand why there is so much enthusiasm from the tech mediarati for this. They are bored, just like in the first round of voice interfaces when Amazon Echo/Alexa devices was the new "it" technology. Apple was so far behind there as I recall. The Internet of Things? Machine learning? VR? I'm not even sure why people think Apple needs to have "AI" when it primarily exists as a search service and eventually, primarily driven by ad sales, something that is not Apple.
    Agreed, chat bots have no function in my life. Couldn’t care less about them. Even yelling “Apple needs AI!” remind me of the netbooks craze. 
    Agreed. Tried ChatGPT. It’s basically a search engine with more conversant style results. I don’t use it at all now. 

That would work as a Siri thing. But so is overrated. 

Until it does more useful things like automate my tasks, it’s just a glorified search engine. 

Even the content generators suck. It’s like bad stock photo search. The one that actually looks peomising is Sora. But it is treading on very shaky legal ground.