Apple Notes in iOS 18 looks to up the ante with Microsoft OneNote

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    Alex_VAlex_V Posts: 225member
    I use Apple Notes as a general purpose notes app to replace Evernote that I tended not to use. I rely on Apple Notes a lot. I discovered Notion about a year ago. Now Notion is my heavy-duty Notes app for major projects. Highly recommended, they have a generous free tier. Apple is the average person’s day-to-day note taking. With a billion iOS users, they are catering to the masses with their default apps. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 32
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    mike1 said:
    I really hope they separate the scanning capability from Notes.
    It really should be part of Camera. Open camera app, select scan, take pic (scan). Ask me what to do with it (like a screenshot does). Message, email, save to Photos or Files, save as Note etc. 
    I often need to send PDF scans of documents. I never need to save them as a note.
    Using this feature as a part of Notes adds a lot of unnecessary steps and time to the process, including deleting the unnecessary note I just created.
    There's an app for that!

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/simple-scan-quick-scanner/id6477965455

There is already scanning capability in the notes app, why buy another scanning app to do what can already be done within IOS?  It's a bit clunky but is still functional.
    byronlwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 32
    mike1 said:
    mike1 said:
    It really should be part of Camera. Open camera app, select scan, take pic (scan). Ask me what to do with it (like a screenshot does). Message, email, save to Photos or Files, save as Note etc. 
    I often need to send PDF scans of documents. I never need to save them as a note.
    Using this feature as a part of Notes adds a lot of unnecessary steps and time to the process, including deleting the unnecessary note I just created.
    There's an app for that!

And it's $20. I know there are scanning apps out there. Was glad to delete the one I was using for native functionality. No reason Apple couldn't or shouldn't do their own better too.
    And what about Genius scan?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 32
    Guys, scroll up. What about the built in scanner from Apple that you can use in Mail, or in Notes, or in Files!?
    Alex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 32
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,523member
    mike1 said:
    mike1 said:
    There's an app for that!

And it's $20. I know there are scanning apps out there. Was glad to delete the one I was using for native functionality. No reason Apple couldn't or shouldn't do their own better too.
    If you have a scanner or multifunction device, like the Brother MFC-L2750DW, the Preview app does extremely well as a scan-to-PDF document tool. I use it all of the time to scan multiple 2-sided hard copy documents from the MFC device feeder to multi-page PDF documents. This particular MFC device scans both sides of the pages at the same time so it is very fast. The Contact Sheet view in the Preview app allows you to reorder, move, and delete individual pages in the PDF file, which comes in handy if some of the scanned pages are blank on one side.

Despite all of the improvements in iPadOS for handwritten to text conversions I still feel far more comfortable in meeting using a paper notepad or graph paper to jot down notes and sketches. To keep my notes from piling up on my desk and to preserve them for archival purposes I periodically scan a stack of my notes into a PDF file and give it a name that conveys the time period of the archive. Yeah, I'm still killing more trees than I'd like to, but I've never adapted to writing or even sketching on-the-fly during meetings on a tablet. I also use Microsoft Lens to capture whiteboard images and add them to my archive files as well, alongside my notes. Greatly reduces clutter and file cabinet space.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 32
    I hope you’ll at least be able to copy a URL and paste it on top of a word so it’ll automatically be a link. 
    I’m glad to hear Apple is working on improving Notes. 
    I thought you can do that already. Just select the word and then select “add link” under the contextual menu. In this way, you don’t see the crazy lengthy URL again. 
    appleinsideruserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 32
    Also current table in Notes cannot add images. So I hope next version changes that. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 32
    jas99jas99 Posts: 159member
    People actually use OneNote?

I mean, the only 'note' app I've ever seen a need for on Windoze is Notepad, and that's just because it's the closest thing to TextEdit on a real computer.

If I see OneNote on a Mac, I just delete it.
    I fully agree. 
    At a former job there was a rollout of OneNote. My director and I both agreed it was of absolutely zero use to us. 
    I don’t need a separate organizer app within my computer - a computer is one big organizing tool. 
    It mystifies me that so many people need this extra, distracting layer in their lives. It’s asthough the entire purpose of the computer system is lost on them. 
    watto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 29 of 32
    drewsdrews Posts: 3member
    Apple notes, which I use to store historical documents, is taking lots of space on my iPhone.  Apple should allow you to save selected notes only! in iCloud.  As is currently, all notes exist in both the iPhone and iCloud.   Thoughts?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 32
    drews said:
    Apple notes, which I use to store historical documents, is taking lots of space on my iPhone.  Apple should allow you to save selected notes only! in iCloud.  As is currently, all notes exist in both the iPhone and iCloud.   Thoughts?

"Optimize iPhone Storage" for iCloud Notes??

Send feedback to Apple https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252677181?sortBy=best
    drewswatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 32
    danox said:
    If Apple Notes is to truly compete with OneNote, then it needs to be cross-platform. I use a Windows PC at work, and as such, use OneNote for work-related notes. In a way, it's useful that it is separate from my personal notes, but it would be useful if I had direct access to my Apple Notes within Windows. Or at least update the cloud web browser version to bring feature parity with the native mac/ios versions as it's currently missing crucial features.

No chasing Microsoft or Google to do something is a waste of time they are your competitors and under no circumstance should Apple waste resources to do so see the iMessage RCS debacle basic cut and paste should be it. Pages/Notability/Notes/Goodnotes/Outliner all work well back and forth Microsoft/Google/Adobe need nothing special from Apple.
    You do realize they are saying they want Apple's office suite to be available on Windows.  They are not saying they want apple's notes application files to be compatiabile with microsoft onenote.

It is a true statement that in order for Apple's office suite to be able to compete in the market place it needs to be available on Windows.  You might as well just discontinue Apple's office suite if you are going to just keep it MacOS only because as long as Microsoft makes Office 365 be both Windows and Mac then everyone is just going to default to OIffice 365 as it has the largest OS compatiability.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    If Apple Notes is to truly compete with OneNote, then it needs to be cross-platform. I use a Windows PC at work, and as such, use OneNote for work-related notes. In a way, it's useful that it is separate from my personal notes, but it would be useful if I had direct access to my Apple Notes within Windows. Or at least update the cloud web browser version to bring feature parity with the native mac/ios versions as it's currently missing crucial features.
    I 100% agree. I have a plethora of notes in Apple's notes because it is so easy to use with the iPhone, Mac and other Mac devices. When I open up the web version, sometimes the folders aren't all there, or are mangled or something really off and weird. I should be able to go to any computer, open up a browser and access, view, update and add notes! This would make it easier for me to use a windows computer.

Oftentimes, it's easier to keep notes in Apple Notes as opposed to OneNote. But, I do use OneNote religiously on Windows, but rarely use it on Mac. So weird.