Safari Hint

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I just found an interesting tidbit in the new Safari... when you have a folder in the bookmarks bar, an option that says "Open in Tabs" appears at the bottom. If you have several websites that you read daily, put them in a folder and select this option. Each website will load in a seperate tab while you read the first one and you can close them as you go!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Yes, it is a very neat option.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I found one where if you drag a link, it shows you the destination of the link. So if you have the bottom status bar turned off, you can still see where you're going.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    AGAIN SAFARI ROCKS!

Another reason why I love it so much!

My bookmarks bar has a row of folders relating to my Interests for example Mountain Bike, University links, Computer related etc and offcourse my regular sites that I check each day several times a day.

A simple click allows me to open all my pages in new Tabs without doing too much!

Loving safari!
  • Reply 4 of 21
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    2x
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Nice option indeed. Now only if the tabs wouldn't be upside down \ The tabs should be tied to the page, not the app IMO
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by kelib

Nice option indeed. Now only if the tabs wouldn't be upside down \ The tabs should be tied to the page, not the app IMO

Doesn't make sense..

what about the other tabs, are they connected to the page you are currently on??
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by 11011001

Doesn't make sense..

what about the other tabs, are they connected to the page you are currently on??

In Camino, Netscape and Mozilla they are indeed tied to the page, not the address bar
  • Reply 8 of 21
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kelib

I don't mind it. I think you can justify either placement.

Apple's implementation associates the tabs with the controls and URL instead of the visual page. Tabs being a control themselves, this seems to make sense to me as a logical grouping.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    I don't give a rat's ass about where the tabs are tied to. I'm usually not looking at the little connection between the tab and the controls, I'm looking at the tab's title, or the little close box, or the page itself. Really, is it THAT big a deal?
  • Reply 10 of 21
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    yes it is THAT big of a deal...in fact i am selling my macs and buying pcs because of those damn tabs in safari...

hehe

g
  • Reply 11 of 21
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Hey, if you cared about the placement, would you say "I give a rat's ass about that!"

heh heh

Stupid off topic post, but I laugh when I hear that.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Got a point there, murbot. But it's not as bad as saying "I could care less" when you really couldn't care less. I hear that ALL the time.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    At least you all care enough to comment on it
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by chrismusaf

I just found an interesting tidbit in the new Safari... when you have a folder in the bookmarks bar, an option that says "Open in Tabs" appears at the bottom. If you have several websites that you read daily, put them in a folder and select this option. Each website will load in a seperate tab while you read the first one and you can close them as you go!

Or you can cmd-click the folder name for the same effect. Few milliseconds faster than navigating to the "Open in Tabs".

Teppo
  • Reply 15 of 21
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    I just discovered this one by accident (haven't seen it posted anywhere before). If you command-click the titlebar in Safari, it gives you the URL hierarchy like in IE and the Finder.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Hmm just found another one. Safari has back and forward history lists if you click and hold the back or forward buttons. Why did it take me so long to figure this out?
  • Reply 17 of 21
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    You don't want that question answered.

Why dig up old threads?
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spart

You don't want that question answered.

Why dig up old threads?

Why not? It fits. I thought others who are as slow (or slower) than me might benefit.

Besides, I have two finals on Monday and I'm trying to find excuses not to study.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Quote:

Originally posted by frawgz

I just discovered this one by accident (haven't seen it posted anywhere before). If you command-click the titlebar in Safari, it gives you the URL hierarchy like in IE and the Finder.

that's sweet.

now if only the "Check Spelling as you type" would stick for all tabs. seems to require reset each time.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by trevorM

AGAIN SAFARI ROCKS!

Another reason why I love it so much!

My bookmarks bar has a row of folders relating to my Interests for example Mountain Bike, University links, Computer related etc and offcourse my regular sites that I check each day several times a day.

A simple click allows me to open all my pages in new Tabs without doing too much!

Loving safari!

In my opinion and I'm sure many of you will agree Safari is the best web browser for Mac OS X. It crashes on me every so often though.. o_0 I dunno why.. I'm too lazy to check the Console.app output. heh.