New iPhone 16 leak blows the cover off of screen sizes & camera bump

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 28

Frequent leaker Sonny Dickson has revealed a photo purporting to show the forthcoming iPhone 16 lineup, and the screen sizes for each of the four models.

Four different models of iPhone displayed side by side, labeled with their screen sizes ranging from 6.1 to 6.9 inches.
Photo on Dickson's Twitter account revealing sizes for each model

The image, which appears on Dickson's X/Twitter account, supports recent rumors of different screen sizes for every model. With the iPhone 14 and 15 lineup, screen sizes are the same between the standard and Pro sizes, at 6.1 inches.

Likewise, the existing Plus and Pro Max screen sizes are also identical, at 6.7 inches. This was also true of the iPhone 14 lineup.

The 6.1-inch screen size has been standard for the regular and Pro models of iPhone since the iPhone 12, though it was first used in the iPhone XR from 2018. The 6.7-inch larger Pro Max size was introduced with the iPhone 12, and was adopted by the Plus models with their introduction in the iPhone 14 lineup.

As seen in the photo above, the standard iPhone 16 will keep the 6.1-inch screen size, but the Pro will move to a 6.3-inch screen. The Plus will keep the traditional 6.7-inch screen, but the Pro Max will move to a new 6.9-inch screen, making it noticeably bigger.

In addition, the photo appears to show that the next Pro and Pro Max models are again slightly wider than the regular and Plus sizes. This was also the case for the iPhone 15 lineup.

Apple is expected to formally unveil its iPhone 16 lineup in the fall of this year, alongside iOS 18.

Rumor Score: Likely

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Yeah…no excitement there.
    pulseimages
  • Reply 2 of 11
    yeah, blew the lid right off the…

Looks like the same old smartphone
    fred1pulseimages
  • Reply 3 of 11
    kelliekellie Posts: 51member
    Futzing around with screen sizes is all marketing.  Not technical advancement or achievement. 
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Fascinating. 
  • Reply 5 of 11
    schlackschlack Posts: 721member
    The march towards increasingly unusable phone sizes continues. Bring back a mini sized phone. Don't leave me stranded with my 12 mini for yet another upgrade cycle.

edited April 29 M68000kingofsomewherehotroundaboutnow
  • Reply 6 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,341moderator
    schlack said:
    The march towards increasingly unusable phone sizes continues. Bring back a mini sized phone. Don't leave me stranded with my 12 mini for yet another upgrade cycle.
    The smaller models didn't sell well unfortunately. It's probably a large enough minority to justify making a model, this poll says 25% prefer a more compact (< 5.9") model:

https://www.phonearena.com/news/poll-preferred-smartphone-screen-size_id154359

The majority (54%) went for 6.1-6.7".

I think it would have to be bigger than iPhone 12 mini size (5.4") because after using larger phones for a while, it feels unusably small. The iPhone X is 5.8" and that feels too wide but only just. That would leave 5.6".

Apple wouldn't have to make one every year either, a mini model every other year or even every 3 years would be ok. This could be the SE model.

The SE model is due an update, maybe that will have a more reasonable form factor.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    M68000M68000 Posts: 756member
    schlack said:

As good as the mini was,  i still think 5.8 may be the best size.  They got it right with the iphone X and abandoned it.   Maybe the iphone XX will bring it back lol.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 868member
    I can understand the move to a larger screen for the Pro Max. But for the regular Pro it makes no sense. Pro Max buyers are choosing to pay more to get the larger screen, so this essentially gives them (a little) more of what they want. Pro buyers, on the other hand, are intentionally rejecting a larger screen, so this forces them to have more of what they don't want. Not everyone wants the weight and size of a phablet in their pocket. The new Pro Max, with a 6.7 inch diagonal screen size, is only 20% smaller than an iPad Mini. 
    edited April 29
  • Reply 9 of 11
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,402member
    Frequent leaker Sonny Dickson should have a talk with his doctor. Prostate issue, bladder infection, maybe a bum kidney? In the meantime, he should check out the adult diaper aisle at Walmart.

... sorry, but you threw the softball.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,323member
    It doesn’t appear to have occurred to any of the commenters above that that likely reason for the size changes in the Pro and Pro Max is some new technology and features that the regular and Plus models aren’t getting.

We’ve been hearing for months about a more advanced (and consequently, larger) Neural Engine and coming “AI” features. How do you do that without increasing the size to accommodate for that?

Some commenters make me seriously think they believe Apple is just doing this arbitrarily to sell more cases or some such nonsense.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    jccjcc Posts: 327member
    I still remember Cook making fun of the Android platform saying that the fragmentation is because they don't know what they're doing. Well, look who's doing it now? Apple Makes Fun Of Android(You will hate Android after ...YouTube · TheReactShow111K+ views · 4 years ago
    Goes to show that without Jobs, Cook is a bureaucrate, good at milking and extending existing product lines but clueless about new tentpole products. Just like Sculley. This is history repeating itself.
    edited May 5