Apple starts replacing titanium Apple Cards from original 2019 batch

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 30

Apple has begun notifying users of the first-generation titanium Apple Card rolled out in 2019 about its upcoming expiration and replacement.

Hand holding a worn brown leather wallet with a card reading 'Michael Ohara' partially inserted.
Apple to recycle old titanium cards as replacements are issued

The first physical Apple Cards are nearing expiration in July 2024 for those who signed up for the service in 2019. The cards are known for their unique design and absence of traditional card numbers, which Apple bills as a privacy feature.

In an ongoing email campaign to its customers, Apple assures that the replacement cards will be sent to the billing addresses on file and should arrive within two weeks from the notice date.

We're sending a replacement titanium card to your billing address so you can continue to use it at physical locations. Remember, even without a physical card you can always use your Apple Card at any location that accepts Apple Pay. Your new titanium card will be shipped within 2 weeks from the date of this communication.

You can continue to use your titanium card until it expires or you activate the new one. You can still use Apple Card with Apple Pay and your virtual card number to shop at merchants that don't yet accept Apple Pay by typing in your number from Wallet or using Safari AutoFill.

The company encourages cardholders to activate their new cards as soon as they arrive, as the existing cards will be deactivated at their expiration. Interestingly, Apple may also send a prepaid shipping label to customers so they can mail the card back to the company for recycling, according to MacRumors which first noted the emails from Apple.

Only some Apple Cards may be replaced in 2024

There is some uncertainty as to which customers will receive a replacement. For example, Apple initially held a beta test where some people could get an Apple Card before the official release.

But some AppleInsider staffers have different expiration dates. One got an Apple Card in 2020, and it doesn't expire until 2027, while another who got a replacement card in 2023 doesn't see an expiration until 2038.

A smartphone displaying a virtual card interface with fields for name, card number, and expiration date.
Some Apple Cards will expire in 2024

Further, although the report says that Apple is intent on recycling its titanium Apple Card, the metal can be hard to recycle.

First, titanium has a high melting point and strong chemical reactivity with elements like oxygen and nitrogen at high temperatures, requiring energy-intensive techniques for processing and recycling. Standard recycling facilities aren't typically equipped to handle that sort of product inflow.

Furthermore, titanium is typically used in alloy form with other metals to enhance its properties, such as strength and corrosion resistance. The diversity in alloy compositions also complicates the recycling process because separating these elements can be technically challenging and cost-prohibitive.

If Apple does indeed intend to recycle Apple Cards, it presumably has found a method to make them cost-effective and environmentally friendly, per its standards.

Customers can expect their new cards to arrive within two weeks of notification and are encouraged to activate them promptly upon receipt. To activate a new Apple Card, open the Wallet app on an iPhone, tap Apple Card, and follow the on-screen instructions.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Can Apple please get on with rolling it out in Canada??? This wait is ridiculous!
  • Reply 2 of 9
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,297member
    Anilu_777 said:
    Can Apple please get on with rolling it out in Canada??? This wait is ridiculous!

You're going to have to wait a while longer. No way Apple is going to roll out anywhere else until they determine who their new banking partner will be and then that partner will need to be able to do business in Canada.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,297member
    Funny. I just called support to find out what would happen. My card expires in July and I needed a hotel reservation that is after July. I had to use a different card for the reservation. I will go back to my Apple Card when I check in and pay. The rep told me I would receive a new card prior to expiry just like any other credit card.
    I really thought the expiration date would have been updated "electronically" since it is not imprinted on the card.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 828member
    My card has never seen a terminal or been swiped thanks to  pay on the Watch.
    StrangeDaysmdwjahblade
  • Reply 5 of 9
    riverkoriverko Posts: 224member
    mike1 said:
    I really thought the expiration date would have been updated "electronically" since it is not imprinted on the card.
    At this moment there will always be validity on physical cards. It is personalized in the chip/magstripe. It is used for security - chip keys and certificates that are used in communication with the POS terminals/devices - to ensure that both the card and the device are genuine. Till now there isn’t any better way how to take care of this as far as i know
  • Reply 6 of 9
    mike1 said:
    Funny. I just called support to find out what would happen. My card expires in July and I needed a hotel reservation that is after July. I had to use a different card for the reservation. I will go back to my Apple Card when I check in and pay. The rep told me I would receive a new card prior to expiry just like any other credit card.
    Why can't you use the card number that is shown in the Wallet for the registration? I just checked mine, and the expiration date is 05/2028.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    The company encourages cardholders to activate their new cards as soon as they arrive, as the existing cards will be deactivated at their expiration. Interestingly, Apple may also send a prepaid shipping label to customers so they can mail the card back to the company for recycling, according to MacRumors which first noted the emails from Apple.

Amazon did this with my Prime card.  I was wondering why they included an envelope until I read the included blurb.

I might keep my Apple Card anyway.  It's already in my safe anyway.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,127member

Further, although the report says that Apple is intent on recycling its titanium Apple Card, the metal can be hard to recycle.

Read on AppleInsider

That article doesn’t support that titanium "can be hard to recycle." It states that titanium is not recycled as much as other metals because of the durability of titanium products and the preference of subtractive manufacturing techniques. It's also not clear how the difficulty in recycling is relevant. Apple states that it will recycle the cards, so obviously it must have figured out how to do it. And to the extent that Apple intends to recycle the cards into new cards (rather than into jet engines), many of the concerns related to recycling are inapplicable. 
  • Reply 9 of 9
    ctreinboctreinbo Posts: 1member
    Take a screen grab of the "additional card numbers". My virtual card expires before my titanium card. What you showed is the virtual card, not titanium card.