Apple to unveil AI-enabled Safari browser alongside new operating systems

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,308member
    The internet is dead from scam websites, pop-up reviews for every trivial task, click bait headlines, AI-pushed addiction feeds etc etc.

I love Apple Insider and I pay the subscription and would be willing to pay more for it so I do want this site to thrive.

But it would be great to just cut unwanted content as an Apple user but I wonder if the ad companies will fight this as a free speech, unfettered commerce issue.

And with the Feds and EU fictional monopoly preoccupations I am not sure this will be allowed.

But from my perspective, Apple should “just go for it.”
    edited May 1 Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 40
    blastdoor said:
    I use the 'Reader' function in Safari quite a bit, but sometimes it doesn't work very well. Seems like something that AI could help make better. 
    That is a function of how a page is coded. Using a truncated excerpt with a scripted read more can produce this result. It is not solvable from the browser.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 40
    fengofengo Posts: 2member
    I hope it can finally block YouTube ads
    Alex1Nwatto_cobraVictorMortimer
  • Reply 24 of 40
    fengofengo Posts: 2member
    badmonk said:
    The internet is dead from scam websites, pop-up reviews for every trivial task, click bait headlines, AI-pushed addiction feeds etc etc.

I love Apple Insider and I pay the subscription and would be willing to pay more for it so I do want this site to thrive.

But it would be great to just cut unwanted content as an Apple user but I wonder if the ad companies will fight this as a free speech, unfettered commerce issue.

And with the Feds and EU fictional monopoly preoccupations I am not sure this will be allowed.

But from my perspective, Apple should “just go for it.”
    The Advertising Companies dont ask us if they are allowed to collect our data either so ...
    JinTechwilliamlondonAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 40
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,000member
    mpantone said:
    tipoo said:
    I'm curious if these AI features will mean Neural Engine Macs only, which would mean Apple Silicon only. I wonder if they'll be nice and end on a long term release of Intel macOS, or they'll just be Apple and drop it with the typical ~2 years of security updates.

Then again other browsers like Arc with these features trivially run on Intel too
    We'll just have to wait and see what Apple does in a few months.

They have a long established history of enforcing exclusivity of some new features to the latest hardware.

It's also worth pointing out that the Neural Engine itself has evolved and gotten hardware upgrades over the years. The Neural Engine in the iPhone 8 does not have the same transistors as what will be included in the next generation Apple Silicon (both A-series and M-series SoCs).

I will wager that Intel Mac owners will be shut out of these new AI features.
    So in time (5 years) they will need to upgrade like Apple had to move on from Intel cpu's to Apple Silicon SOC's in order to survive as a company....
    eriamjhAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 40

jdw said:
    All this TALK about AI, but so little to show for it. Yeah, I know about the coming announcement, but I'm honestly not holding my breath.

All said, I want SIRI to stop being an idiot.  Only moments ago, I invoked Siri on my 16" M1 Max MBP and asked it to open TouchID so I could add a new fingerprint, and foolish Siri responded back with "I can't do that."  What a complete idiot.  Siri is utterly worthless. If this AI talk makes Siri do even the most basic tasks FINALLY, then maybe it will be worth it.  But to this very day, all that tech Apple has poured into Siri hasn't resulted in something usable for me.

All the talk of AI by most of the present computer companies is just that talk Microsoft, Google, Meta, Samsung, Intel, AMD, Qualcomm, and Nvidia have been talking the loudest and most can't execute any useful AI product because they don't control both the OS and the SOC/CPU design in house. Guess who does?

And just because Apple has those elements in house doesn't mean a new AI solution will be a instantaneous one, and that is why the useless hype over AI will die down in time (end of the year) and many of those companies, Wall Street, and the general public will move on while the real research moves forward at a steady slow pace.  
    williamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 27 of 40
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,035member
    jSnively said:
    JamesCude said:
    Web ads suck but how else do you think your favorite websites will stay in business? Are you prepared to pay a subscription to every site? I doubt it…

Ads alone aren't even enough these days (please don't block them here ߘ⩦lt;/div>

I could write a fucking dissertation about how Google has destroyed the internet..
    If ads didn’t suck up so much memory I’d be okay with them but I’ll have a few pages open, a couple of them with tabs with AppleInsider and MacRumors and my M1 MacBook will be at an absolute standstill!
    edited May 1 Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 40
    dee_dee said:
    JamesCude said:
    Web ads suck but how else do you think your favorite websites will stay in business? Are you prepared to pay a subscription to every site? I doubt it…
    The ad industry has brought this upon themselves.  The trick is not to just block the ads, but do it without being detected.  If Apple can dance around the “turn off your ad blocker” alert its game over for ads on the web. 
    Bingo.  I block ads because they are intrusive, not because I don't want to see them.  But I hate it when I'm told to turn off my ad-blocker.  Put them off to the side and I won't block them.
    Alex1Ndee_deewatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 40
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,666member
    danox said:
    So in time (5 years) they will need to upgrade like Apple had to move on from Intel cpu's to Apple Silicon SOC's in order to survive as a company....
    This AI stuff tells me the Intel support is dropped for the next MacOS release.    

Uh… if that wasn’t already known.   
    Alex1Nnubuswatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 40
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,432member
    The AI based ad blocker sounds like a compelling feature. However, I fully expect that those who benefit from selling ads will come up with their own AI to block the ad blockers. Blocker versus anti blocker. Full on AI wars lie ahead. This should come as no surprise since none of the ad blockers I've tried over the years, including 1Blocker, are fully effective. Plus, a number of websites are already detecting the presence of an ad blocker and refusing to show the content. 

Maybe this is the time for Apple to reconsider building their own gateway/router. If they built their own gateway/router they could put their Eraser technology at the head of your WAN connection where it can serve as a supercharged Apple Pi-hole. Besides being a tasty sounding network appliance It could also be a convenient place to stick a HomeKit gateway with support for all of the networks support by Matter and Thread. No more need to hide matter/thread support in things like Apple TVs and HomePods, where it's always seemed like a weird mix of functional responsibilities. Speaker is a gateway too? Okay.
    Alex1Ndanoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 40
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,087member
    As already opined, as long as I can turn it off, I'm fine with it. There are a lot of things in Apple's stuff I feel this way about, so this is nothing new.

I am not opposed to ads. In fact, i would like to be able to control them - receive ads for things i want and use. As it stands, these things are intrusive and rude. They interfere with what I am trying to use my technology (that I pay for) to do. Give me credit to watch your ad for stuff I wish to use/buy? Sure.
    edited May 1 Alex1Ndanoxdewmebaconstang
  • Reply 32 of 40
    eriamjh said:
    danox said:

How many people are still running a great Intel 27" iMac? Holding out..... I finally lost hope and had to buy a Studio MacHeadroom it's nice but I still dream of a 30"-32" XDR enclosure iMac.
    watto_cobrabaconstang
  • Reply 33 of 40
    dee_deedee_dee Posts: 116member
    dewme said:
    The AI based ad blocker sounds like a compelling feature. However, I fully expect that those who benefit from selling ads will come up with their own AI to block the ad blockers. Blocker versus anti blocker. Full on AI wars lie ahead. This should come as no surprise since none of the ad blockers I've tried over the years, including 1Blocker, are fully effective. Plus, a number of websites are already detecting the presence of an ad blocker and refusing to show the content. 

Maybe this is the time for Apple to reconsider building their own gateway/router. If they built their own gateway/router they could put their Eraser technology at the head of your WAN connection where it can serve as a supercharged Apple Pi-hole. Besides being a tasty sounding network appliance It could also be a convenient place to stick a HomeKit gateway with support for all of the networks support by Matter and Thread. No more need to hide matter/thread support in things like Apple TVs and HomePods, where it's always seemed like a weird mix of functional responsibilities. Speaker is a gateway too? Okay.
    That going to pretty tough considering Apple controls the browser.  As long as Apple is not manipulating the DOM is going to be impossible for the website to know if anything is being blocked. 
    Alex1Nwatto_cobrawilliamlondon
  • Reply 34 of 40
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,035member
    What if there was an ad blocker that acknowledged the ad is there, so like it gets a view or a click or whatever, an impression (is that the word I’m looking for?) So the said site gets their revenue but the blocker actually blocks the ad? Now that would be a win/win!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 40
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,432member
    dee_dee said:
    dewme said:

That going to pretty tough considering Apple controls the browser.  As long as Apple is not manipulating the DOM is going to be impossible for the website to know if anything is being blocked. 
    It depends on how and where the ad blocking takes place. If it's built into the browser then yes, the websites won't know that they're being blocked. But if the blocking is done in an extension like AdGuard the website can detect the blocker.  Here's an article that describes how some websites detect ad blockers:  https://tms-outsource.com/blog/posts/how-do-websites-detect-adblock/

I've been generally impressed with the built-in ad blocking in Vivaldi, which is built on Chromium. There are sites that are littered with blank blocks in Safari when my ad blocker extension is turned on. The ads may be blocked but the real estate area where they would be hosted is sometimes still occupied with blank content. With Vivaldi and other browsers that have built-in ad blocking that actually works, there are no blank areas and the page renders normally and free of blocked ads. 

Ad blockers like Pi-hole operate based on DNS resolution to block certain IP addresses. In the case of Pi-hole there is a community of contributors who maintain and update the list of IP addresses that resolve to ad content and the Pi-hole has a script to periodically get the updated block lists. You could do much then same thing yourself by editing the Hosts file on your computer, but you'll be stuck in a permanent game of whack-a-mole, much like we are now doing with phone number and email address blocking on our Apple devices.
    edited May 2 muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 40
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,433member
    danox said:

jdw said:
    All this TALK about AI, but so little to show for it. Yeah, I know about the coming announcement, but I'm honestly not holding my breath.

All said, I want SIRI to stop being an idiot.  Only moments ago, I invoked Siri on my 16" M1 Max MBP and asked it to open TouchID so I could add a new fingerprint, and foolish Siri responded back with "I can't do that."  What a complete idiot.  Siri is utterly worthless. If this AI talk makes Siri do even the most basic tasks FINALLY, then maybe it will be worth it.  But to this very day, all that tech Apple has poured into Siri hasn't resulted in something usable for me.

All the talk of AI by most of the present computer companies is just that talk Microsoft, Google, Meta, Samsung, Intel, AMD, Qualcomm, and Nvidia have been talking the loudest and most can't execute any useful AI product because they don't control both the OS and the SOC/CPU design in house. Guess who does?

And just because Apple has those elements in house doesn't mean a new AI solution will be a instantaneous one, and that is why the useless hype over AI will die down in time (end of the year) and many of those companies, Wall Street, and the general public will move on while the real research moves forward at a steady slow pace.  
    I think that some of those companies that you mentioned are making useful things with AI.  Google and MS / OpenAI are integrating AI into their apps, with very good results, without the need to control OS and SOC design.  Qualcomm Snapdragon X Elite looks promising, and Nvidia / AMD are doing very good in AI in datacenters.  I'm not so sure about Meta, Samsung and Intel, and neither Apple.  Apple had an advantage when they acquire SIri and later when the start to design their CPU / SoC, but missed a big opportunity to be an AI leader.  Looking forward to the WWDC to see what they announce.
    edited May 3 danox
  • Reply 37 of 40
    fengo said:
    YouTube has ads?

I use Firefox with uBlock Origin and SponsorBlock.  Haven't seen any.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,298member
    fengo said:
    YouTube has ads?

I use Firefox with uBlock Origin and SponsorBlock.  Haven't seen any.
    Rather than take content, I subscribe and don't see any ads either. Some people would see blocking ads and, therefore, revenue to a service provider as stealing, refusing to pay anything for content they obviously think has value to them. Others think it's fair game to fool the services to avoid paying, unless it is their own paycheck depending on it. 
    edited May 28
  • Reply 39 of 40
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,432member
    dee_dee said:
    JamesCude said:
    The ad industry has brought this upon themselves. ...
    Apple could create a private web with no ads that you can access only with a subscription through Apple. I already subscribe to Apple News, Apple Music, and more, which are similar kinds of service. I happily pay for my News through Apple's services because I trust Apple to maintain my privacy, (eg, my name and email address) and also because it's just too complicated setting up separate accounts to pay individual news websites directly. 

So I'm hoping that Apple introduces "one more thing," called "Apple Web." It costs $9.99/month and contains an ad-free version of the net. No ads, no ID, no trackers. And no horrific Javascript, just HTML. I'm not sure if CSS should be cut out too, as without CSS, HTML looks like the web back in the 1990s.
    Wait til you learn how necessary Javascript is for modern websites.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,432member
    danox said:
    eriamjh said:
    danox said:

How many people are still running a great Intel 27" iMac? Holding out..... I finally lost hope and had to buy a Studio MacHeadroom it's nice but I still dream of a 30"-32" XDR enclosure iMac.
    How is it any functionally different to use a Studio Display and Mac mini or Studio? Just mount the Mac behind the display if you don't want to see it, but in all scenarios it's pretty much better as you can replace the Mac down the line and keep the display, or vice versa.