Apple charms investors with record $110B stock buyback, dividend hike

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2

Alongside disclosing its earnings for Q2 2024, Apple also announced that it is increasing the dividend it pays to shareholders by 4%, and is also buying back more stock in one program than ever before.

Apple Park
Apple Park

During its quarterly earnings report, Apple's CFO Luca Maestri described "very high levels of customer satisfaction and loyalty," as reasons for undertaking the company's largest-ever stock buyback.

"Given our confidence in Apple's future and the value we see in our stock," he said in a statement, "our Board has authorized an additional $110 billion for share repurchases."

"We are also raising our quarterly dividend for the twelfth year in a row," he continued.

The 4% increase in the cash dividend of Apple's common stock means a rise to $0.25 per share. Shareholders who own stock as of May 13, 2024, will receive the dividend three days later on May 16.

Most recently, Apple has tended to buyback its stocks in the region of $90 billion each time. That's what it did in May 2023, and before that in April 2022.

From 2012 up to the end of 2022, Apple spent in excess of $572 billion on share buyback programs. In 2019, Tim Cook revealed that it was investor Warren Buffett who taught both him and Steve Jobs on the value of buying back shares.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    ramanpfafframanpfaff Posts: 136member
    Rather pathetic dividend increase. I really am surprised it wasn't $0.02/share. Let's just say my retirement isn't going as planned. 
    williamlondongrandact73danox
  • Reply 2 of 23
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,362member
    AAPL has taken a huge hit recently, so it's common sense Apple should do its buyback now, in a major way.

And before anyone gets excited about that "4% increase in the cash dividend," we're talking about a 1 penny increase here, and that increase is no different than previous increases, as per Apple's Dividend History here:

https://investor.apple.com/dividend-history/default.aspx
    Alex1Nkuld klientgrandact73
  • Reply 3 of 23
    jdw said:
    AAPL has taken a huge hit recently, so it's common sense Apple should do its buyback now, in a major way.

And before anyone gets excited about that "4% increase in the cash dividend," we're talking about a 1 penny increase here, and that increase is no different than previous increases, as per Apple's Dividend History here:

It’s in line with previous increases but 4% is 4% and I’ll happily take it!
    JFC_PAkuld klientmike1iOS_Guy80
  • Reply 4 of 23
    doggonedoggone Posts: 385member
    Rather pathetic dividend increase. I really am surprised it wasn't $0.02/share. Let's just say my retirement isn't going as planned. 
    I don't consider Apple to be a good dividend yielding stock.  At $1 a year the yield is ~0.6%.  There are FDIC insured interest accounts that are yielding 4-5% at the moment.  So if you are looking to live off interest those are good bets.  E.g. I put spare cash into Apple's savings account.  That is also where Apple Cash goes.

There are plenty of stocks that have high yields.  Their problem is that their value does not grow.

I see Apple as a long term growth stock.  Since I bought into the stock in the early naughties, the value has increased 42000%.  That rescued my 401K for sure.  I have started to divest out of Apple but still hold a good amount.  The dividend is a bonus and by reinvesting it in AAPL I increase my holdings by 0.5-1% annually.  So probably since 2012, the dividend has increased my stock by 10%. 

kuld klientradarthekatjdwAlex_VmarklarkronniOS_Guy80grandact73danox
  • Reply 5 of 23
    KwikiwiKwikiwi Posts: 3member
    I am not a big fan of stock buy backs for Apple. The main issue I have is that Apple has to take out debt to buy the stock back and it has gone from being debt free to having over $100 Billion of long term debt that now costs over 4% to service. Yes they generate lots of cash and are able to service the debt but things can change rapidly in the tech industry and that could be a problem in the future. If they did a better dividend scheme, say 50% of all net profit paid out as a dividend the return would be very healthy and by it's nature always serviceable and they could reduce their long term debt substantially. I know dividends create issues when so much of the profit (greater than 54%) is generated overseas and that a lot of people will go on about lazy balance sheets, and I understand their thinking, but I would rather they had bigger cash reserves, less debt and did some better acquisitions than so much in buy backs. Having said all of that I am very fortunate to have done well from my shareholding in Apple over a 20 year period and extremely grateful for that - I just don't like the massive buy backs.
    williamlondonAlex_VmarklarkronniOS_Guy80
  • Reply 6 of 23
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,067member
    jdw said:

I'm with you about not getting excited over the $.01 dividend increase but I (and some of us here and maybe also you) have the luxury of applying the $.01 increase to AAPL shares that were purchased before Cook re-instated the dividend in 2012. Those shares split 7-1 and then again 4-1. If you don't factor in the 28X in splits, a pre-2012 share of AAPL is now getting $7.00 per quarter in dividend ($28 per year) plus is now worth 28 shares. And the $.01 increase amounted to a $.28/Q increase per pre-2012 share of AAPL (or $1.12 per year). 

Of course if one purchased AAPL recently and whose shares didn't split, then a $.01 increase in dividend isn't anything to get excited about. Specially for a $183 stock with a .54% annual dividend yield. To put it in perspective, in 2012 AAPL was about a $610/share stock and the dividend then was $2.65/Q, that's an annual dividend yield of about 1.8%. But one now have to take into account that the annual dividend yield went down mainly because of the increase price per share (including splits) greatly outpaced the percent increase in dividend per year. And not because Apple got cheaper and cheaper, when it came to paying a dividend. Even though Apple had increase their dividend every year, their annual dividend yield had gone down nearly every year because of the increase in AAPL share price. Much better than the other way around, where the annual dividend yield increases every year because the share price goes down.

Based on current share prices .... the annual dividend  yield for some common stocks ....

META is . ........    .45%
    GOOG is .........   .47%
    AAPL is ...........   .54%
    MSFT is ..........   .75%
    ORCL is .........   1.39%
    INTC is  ...........  1.64%
    WFC is ............  2.34% (Wells Fargo)
    BA is  ..............  2.6% (Bank America)
    TGT is ............   2.78% (Target)
    KO is .............   3.13% (Coca Cola)
    CMCSA is ......  3.23% (Comcast)
    XOM is ..........   3.27% (Exxon)
    DUK is ..........   4.13% (Duke Energy)
    BBY is ...........  5.19% (Best Buy)
    PM is ...........    5.34% (Philip Morris)
    VZ is .............   6.83% (Verizon)

If dividend income is important, then investing in tech stocks is not the way to go.

marklark
  • Reply 7 of 23
    I prefer stock buybacks to dividend, because I am European investor and have to pay 15% US income tax for each dividend payout. US growth stocks are better option for me.
    Alex_V
  • Reply 8 of 23
    humbug1873humbug1873 Posts: 133member
    Kwikiwi said:
    I am not a big fan of stock buy backs for Apple. The main issue I have is that Apple has to take out debt to buy the stock back and it has gone from being debt free to having over $100 Billion of long term debt that now costs over 4% to service. Yes they generate lots of cash and are able to service the debt but things can change rapidly in the tech industry and that could be a problem in the future. If they did a better dividend scheme, say 50% of all net profit paid out as a dividend the return would be very healthy and by it's nature always serviceable and they could reduce their long term debt substantially. I know dividends create issues when so much of the profit (greater than 54%) is generated overseas and that a lot of people will go on about lazy balance sheets, and I understand their thinking, but I would rather they had bigger cash reserves, less debt and did some better acquisitions than so much in buy backs. Having said all of that I am very fortunate to have done well from my shareholding in Apple over a 20 year period and extremely grateful for that - I just don't like the massive buy backs.
    Yep same here. Stock buybacks and dividends are good for the current shareholders short and medium term, but since it's largely debt financed it removes flexibility in the future. Though its not all bad, since  they still get rates get way below the 4% APR and also (at least used to) get way below inflation APRs (if i remember correctly it was usually way below 1% in the last 10 years).
    It's the separation between 'making good products success will come' and 'make shareholders happy and get out in time before things get bad'.
    So right now they have a good run, money is coming in, no crisis in sight. That would be the time to save up, pay up and make sure you've got resources should things turn bad. If Apple had worked in the 1980ties the way they do now, they would have gone bankcrupt in the 90'ies.
    Still remember Steve Jobs from an Apple internal Comm-meeting in 2001, where he came up with exactly that point. Yes live is bad (2001-3 have been harsh times after the .com bust and 9/11), but Apple works its own buildings and is debt-free, so we still have room to play. Essentially betting the company thrice (iMac, iPod, iPhone), was what enabled Apple to come back from the crypt. If they were in debt working from a leased headquarter at that time, Apple would have been a blip in history.
    But hey stripping a company of its resources has and puffers has been the way to ruin companies since the 80's, so sm
    Alex_V
  • Reply 9 of 23
    I looked at their balance sheet given their performance for Q2 2024. 

Cost of sales are down. So, Apple could improve their margin and income. At the same time, theire assets and liabilities are down. This leads to higher equity. Their FCF is stable and positive as always.

Given this fact, I understand why Apple takes the debt to buy back their stocks. 
    What Apple is doing is simple: Being cash neutral. 

Apple would have no problem to have bigger cash reserves thanks to their enourmous FCF if Apple wanted to. 

At this rate of buybacks, there would be no share left in 2050. 

But all these buybacks and dividen payment work as long as Apple generates current or higher FCF. 

What we see is Apple is betting on generating the current FCF for long term. 

P.S.: Meanwhile, theire R&D expense is up QoQ and YoY. 
    Alex_V
  • Reply 10 of 23
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,855moderator
    I looked at their balance sheet given their performance for Q2 2024. 

Cost of sales are down. So, Apple could improve their margin and income. At the same time, theire assets and liabilities are down. This leads to higher equity. Their FCF is stable and positive as always.

Given this fact, I understand why Apple takes the debt to buy back their stocks. 
    What Apple is doing is simple: Being cash neutral. 

Apple would have no problem to have bigger cash reserves thanks to their enourmous FCF if Apple wanted to. 

At this rate of buybacks, there would be no share left in 2050. 

But all these buybacks and dividen payment work as long as Apple generates current or higher FCF. 

What we see is Apple is betting on generating the current FCF for long term. 

P.S.: Meanwhile, theire R&D expense is up QoQ and YoY. 
    Yup, cash neutral is a great place to be when you have strong cash flows to fund all initiatives.  People who want cash on the books are forgetting that cash gets a multiple of just 1, whereas profits from the ongoing operating business get a much higher multiple; currently 27 in Apple’s case.  When you buy a share of the stock you want your money to be buying that operating business and not unproductive cash.  The more cash you have on the balance sheet the more you dilute each dollar newly invested in the business (in the stock).  So smart business management wants that unproductive cash off the balance sheet.  Buybacks accomplish this while concentrating the value of the business into fewer shares, benefiting all ongoing shareholders.  
    edited May 3 Alex_V
  • Reply 11 of 23
    looplessloopless Posts: 332member
    How the worm has turned. All the “Apple is doomed” crowd have crawled back into their holes. The stock manipulators who promoted the false narratives have made their killing after forcing the price down. Just another year for Apple.
    Alex_Vdanox
  • Reply 12 of 23
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,127member
    Kwikiwi said:
    What you wrote is complete bullshit. Stock buybacks leave Apple in a cash neutral position. Apple does not borrow money to buy back stocks, nor does it have to because net income far exceeds what it spends on stock buybacks.  Apple currently has less than $100 billion in long-term debt, and that amount has remained largely the same over the past 8 years, during which time Apple repurchased nearly $600 billion in stock. 

As noted above, Apple does borrow, but that is done to avoid taxes from bringing home cash from overseas operations. The interest Apple pays on that debt service is far less than it would pay in taxes, so your scheme to retain cash to avoid incurring debt makes zero sense. Nor would it benefit shareholders since it would actually reduce net income and cash on hand. 

Buybacks are also more beneficial to shareholders because dividends are taxed (and generally taxed as ordinary income).  Capital gains taxes are generally lower than taxes on dividends, and the shareholder can plan sales to offset losses to minimize overall tax burden. 

And what acquisitions would Apple make? Netflix? Disney? Tesla? Give me a break. 
  • Reply 13 of 23
    Kwikiwi said:
    I don’t think Apple need to borrow money for the buyback in this instance.  They have enough cash on hand to fund this. IIRC, Apple has borrowed before for buybacks primarily because the cost of borrowing was less than the interest they could get on their cash.The situation might have changed now but it will be hard to say unless you delve into their financial report.  Apples debt level has be very low in the past and since they still generate a large amount of cash I doubt that has changed. 
  • Reply 14 of 23
    davidw said:
    jdw said:

I'm with you about not getting excited over the $.01 dividend increase but I (and some of us here and maybe also you) have the luxury of applying the $.01 increase to AAPL shares that were purchased before Cook re-instated the dividend in 2012. Those shares split 7-1 and then again 4-1. If you don't factor in the 28X in splits, a pre-2012 share of AAPL is now getting $7.00 per quarter in dividend ($28 per year) plus is now worth 28 shares. And the $.01 increase amounted to a $.28/Q increase per pre-2012 share of AAPL (or $1.12 per year). 

Of course if one purchased AAPL recently and whose shares didn't split, then a $.01 increase in dividend isn't anything to get excited about. Specially for a $183 stock with a .54% annual dividend yield. To put it in perspective, in 2012 AAPL was about a $610/share stock and the dividend then was $2.65/Q, that's an annual dividend yield of about 1.8%. But one now have to take into account that the annual dividend yield went down mainly because of the increase price per share (including splits) greatly outpaced the percent increase in dividend per year. And not because Apple got cheaper and cheaper, when it came to paying a dividend. Even though Apple had increase their dividend every year, their annual dividend yield had gone down nearly every year because of the increase in AAPL share price. Much better than the other way around, where the annual dividend yield increases every year because the share price goes down.

Based on current share prices .... the annual dividend  yield for some common stocks ....

META is . ........    .45%
    GOOG is .........   .47%
    AAPL is ...........   .54%
    MSFT is ..........   .75%
    ORCL is .........   1.39%
    INTC is  ...........  1.64%
    WFC is ............  2.34% (Wells Fargo)
    BA is  ..............  2.6% (Bank America)
    TGT is ............   2.78% (Target)
    KO is .............   3.13% (Coca Cola)
    CMCSA is ......  3.23% (Comcast)
    XOM is ..........   3.27% (Exxon)
    DUK is ..........   4.13% (Duke Energy)
    BBY is ...........  5.19% (Best Buy)
    PM is ...........    5.34% (Philip Morris)
    VZ is .............   6.83% (Verizon)

If dividend income is important, then investing in tech stocks is not the way to go.

Great list there.  Verizon looks like a good place for dividends. But you also have to factor in the stock price.  If you have bought VZ 5 years ago you would be making money on dividends but the value of the stock would have halved. That’s the tricky thing with dividend income.  You need to be sure the stock price will be stable. 
  • Reply 15 of 23
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 829member
    doggone said:
    I don't consider Apple to be a good dividend yielding stock.  At $1 a year the yield is ~0.6%.  There are FDIC insured interest accounts that are yielding 4-5% at the moment.  So if you are looking to live off interest those are good bets.  E.g. I put spare cash into Apple's savings account.  That is also where Apple Cash goes.

There are plenty of stocks that have high yields.  Their problem is that their value does not grow.

I see Apple as a long term growth stock.  Since I bought into the stock in the early naughties, the value has increased 42000%.  That rescued my 401K for sure.  I have started to divest out of Apple but still hold a good amount.  The dividend is a bonus and by reinvesting it in AAPL I increase my holdings by 0.5-1% annually.  So probably since 2012, the dividend has increased my stock by 10%. 

Exactly what I do.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,948member
    doggone said:

If you are long Apple the big gains came from the 2 to 1, 7 to 1, and 4 to 1 stock splits in recent times, it also helps to have everything paid off too (if you are retired), I do wish the dividend was at .35 a share but the upper gentry over the years flavor stock buybacks instead. Pre 1982 was best when it comes to stock buybacks the response after 1929 was the right one.
    edited May 3
  • Reply 17 of 23
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,276member
    flydog said:
    Kwikiwi said:
    What you wrote is complete bullshit. Stock buybacks leave Apple in a cash neutral position. Apple does not borrow money to buy back stocks, nor does it have to because net income far exceeds what it spends on stock buybacks.  Apple currently has less than $100 billion in long-term debt, and that amount has remained largely the same over the past 8 years, during which time Apple repurchased nearly $600 billion in stock. 

As noted above, Apple does borrow, but that is done to avoid taxes from bringing home cash from overseas operations. The interest Apple pays on that debt service is far less than it would pay in taxes, so your scheme to retain cash to avoid incurring debt makes zero sense. Nor would it benefit shareholders since it would actually reduce net income and cash on hand. 

Buybacks are also more beneficial to shareholders because dividends are taxed (and generally taxed as ordinary income).  Capital gains taxes are generally lower than taxes on dividends, and the shareholder can plan sales to offset losses to minimize overall tax burden. 

And what acquisitions would Apple make? Netflix? Disney? Tesla? Give me a break. 
    I'm throwing this out there with zero intent of starting an off-topic discussion. It's just food for thought, please.

Is there no better use for $110 Billion than burning it? It's not "returning it to investors" in any quantifiable way, and the stock gets burned once repurchased. Poof!

They aren't alone in this either. Big US tech seems clueless about what to do with the (declared) $600 billion+ they hoard without a purpose. But Apple, along with the rest of the Gang of Five, wants to be thought of as caring companies trying to make the world a better place. This isn't it IMO.

edited May 8 ronn
  • Reply 18 of 23
    dogolacadogolaca Posts: 19member
    Dividend income is taxed as ordinary income, maybe 22% or 24%. If the share value goes up, you can sell a few shares and your capital gain is taxed at 15%. Your retirement might go even better if you had a financial advisor!
  • Reply 19 of 23
    dogolaca said:
    Dividend income is taxed as ordinary income, maybe 22% or 24%. If the share value goes up, you can sell a few shares and your capital gain is taxed at 15%. Your retirement might go even better if you had a financial advisor!

Dividends from AAPL are classify as  "Qualify Dividend" and taxed the same as long term capital gains, at 0-20%,depending on income. This is just Federal tax.

State tax also apply and here in CA (like in most States), all dividend is taxed as ordinary income and in CA it's 0-13%. In CA, long term capital gains are also taxed as ordinary income, at 0-13%. But not all States have a personal income tax and most States income tax are lower than CA, so your State tax on dividends will vary.

• Reply 20 of 23
    gatorguy said:
    flydog said:
    Kwikiwi said:

I'm throwing this out there with zero intent of starting an off-topic discussion. It's just food for thought, please.

Is there no better use for $110 Billion than burning it? It's not "returning it to investors" in any quantifiable way, and the stock gets burned once repurchased. Poof!

They aren't alone in this either. Big US tech seems clueless about what to do with the (declared) $600 billion+ they hoard without a purpose. But Apple, along with the rest of the Gang of Five, wants to be thought of as caring companies trying to make the world a better place. This isn't it IMO.

That is just plain wrong and many thinks the same way.

When Apple retire (burn) the AAPL shares they buy back, the percent of ownership of Apple, Inc. that those shares represent gets transferred to the remaining outstanding shares. They didn't just go ... poof!. It might not seem like $110B buyback is going to make a significant increase in the percent of ownership of Apple Inc. per share. But if a corporation do buy backs over a long period of time, it adds up and the added percentage of ownership per share becomes significant and indeed returning to the investors in a quantifiable way. Now if Apple didn't retire (burn) those buy back shares, then the buy backs won't add to AAPL share holders investment as Apple would still be able to reissue those shares any time they need cash.

The thing to remember is that the hundreds of billions that Apple has spent in buybacks in over a decade, has never prevented Apple from investing in other ventures to grow their own core business. They are using free cash flow that has already been taxed at the corporate level. Apple is still almost net debt free after over $600B spent on buy backs, over the the span of 10 years.

And Apple business is not to operate other companies they bought out, that are not part of Apple core business of selling hardware. Apple mainly buy out other companies for their IP, to be used in Apple own products or services.. If it weren't for all the buybacks, Apple alone might be sitting on over $600B in cash. That would be a case of hoarding, without a purpose. 

Beats is about the only company that Apple purchased and still operate as a profitable separate company. Beats was/is Apple biggest purchase at $3B. But Apple main reason for buying Beats was to acquire Jimmy Iovine to kick start Apple Music. Beats own music streaming service, Beats Music (which was shut down shortly after Apple purchase), was the starting point for Apple Music.  Making a profit selling high cost headphones is just a bonus.

And you know what would happen if Apple were to "invest" in buying out and running other companies, to increase investors return? The progressive tech ignorant politicians would demand that a "monopoly" like Apple, should be broken up and divested of those other companies.

IMO- your ....... "food for thought" ......  still left us starving. :)

edited May 9