Apple Vision Pro a big hit in enterprise

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro edited May 2

During the Apple earnings call, Apple CEO Tim Cook shared that half of Fortune 100 companies have purchased Apple Vision Pro units.

Apple Vision Pro on a cushion
Apple Vision Pro is making a splash in enterprise

Apple Vision Pro is the first spatial computer from Apple and has proven to be a controversial entry in the product lineup. It launched in February 2024, and very little has been shared about how it is selling.

There isn't a line item in Apple's earnings for Apple Vision Pro, but CEO Tim Cook shared a tidbit of interest during the Q2 earnings call. He said Apple Vision Pro has been purchased by half of Fortune 100 companies.

Enterprise markets have been a target by competing headsets like the now defunct Microsoft Hololens. Despite the expected pundit dismissal of Apple Vision Pro as a glorified dev tool, it seems to have at least penetrated the enterprise.

Later in the call, CFO Luca Maestri revealed some of the enterprise uses for Apple Vision Pro. Those include Aircraft engine design at KLM Airlines, team collaboration at Porsche, and kitchen design at Lowe's.

It is also being used to develop spatial computing apps for the platform. We've already seen apps from companies like Gucci that take advantage of Vision Pro features.

At the conclusion of the earnings call, an analyst managed to slip in one final question about Apple Vision Pro and enterprise use. Cook is impressed by how enterprise use of Apple Vision Pro has a pattern similar to the Mac -- it's being used for everything.

"People are using it for many different things in enterprise, and that varies from field service, to training, to health care related things like preparing a doctor for pre-op surgery or advanced imaging, control centers, and so it's an enormous number of different verticals," Cook said. "And our focus is on growing that ecosystem and getting more apps and more and more enterprises engaged, and the event that we had recently, I can't overstate the enthusiasm in the room."

The $3,500 face computer isn't for everyone, but it has found a niche early in its life cycle. Expect to hear more about Apple Vision Pro during WWDC in June when Apple reveals visionOS 2.0.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 231member
    I think your headline of Vision Pro being a “big hit” is perhaps stretching reality a bit here.  For all we know the fortune 100 companies may have only bought a single device each to test - so that’s 50 units 
    edited May 2 williamlondongrandact73
  • Reply 2 of 16
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,436member
    This is why it's called "Pro" - it's for professionals. 

Soon, it will be "Air" for consumers. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 16
    During long years… the Macintosh was unable to hit a strike in business. It was a ‘toy computer.’
    Then it came the iPhone… and a big demand of using it in the enterprise —pushed by CEOS— opened not only the door for cellphones… sorry Blackberry… but also for laptops… If given the choice… employees prefer Apple devices.

Now… it seems that the Vision Pro is going directly to the enterprise.
    Maybe companies are just… testing it… but who knows what would happen next.

(As a master in marketing… Tim said that 50% Fortune 500 companies ‘bought’ Vision Pros… but did not commented if they returned those after the two weeks return widow.)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 16
    miiwtwomiiwtwo Posts: 46member
    yeah, yeah, how many units, why Cook doesnt show the numbers (money), bullshit, AVP is a FAIL, and the problem is the price, even for the enterprise,
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Wesley HilliardWesley Hilliard Posts: 205member, administrator, moderator, editor
    wdowell said:
    I think your headline of Vision Pro being a “big hit” is perhaps stretching reality a bit here.  For all we know the fortune 100 companies may have only bought a single device each to test - so that’s 50 units 
    I can see how you arrived at that conclusion, but, and I can't stress this enough, *that isn't how enterprise works*. A company doesn't just buy one. The comments he made throughout earnings made it clear, they are being bought and *used* in enterprise for development and work at these companies.

It's a big deal.
    Alex1Nwilliamlondongregoriusmwatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 6 of 16
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,344member
    During long years… the Macintosh was unable to hit a strike in business. It was a ‘toy computer.’
    Then it came the iPhone… and a big demand of using it in the enterprise —pushed by CEOS— opened not only the door for cellphones… sorry Blackberry… but also for laptops… If given the choice… employees prefer Apple devices.

Now… it seems that the Vision Pro is going directly to the enterprise.
    Maybe companies are just… testing it… but who knows what would happen next.

(As a master in marketing… Tim said that 50% Fortune 500 companies ‘bought’ Vision Pros… but did not commented if they returned those after the two weeks return widow.)
    When does Apple Account for a sale?
    At delivery or after the window closes for a return. 

Anyway, this talk suggests that Apple sees this as following the same pattern as the Laptop rollout 20 or so years ago. Probably a little faster overall.
    gregoriusmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 16
    iOS_Guy80iOS_Guy80 Posts: 831member
    miiwtwo said:
    yeah, yeah, how many units, why Cook doesnt show the numbers (money), bullshit, AVP is a FAIL, and the problem is the price, even for the enterprise,
    I held off buying a Vision Pro even after doing two demos instead I invested the money into more Apple stock. By the time the second generation model  is available the recently purchased stock should have appreciated enough to cover the cost of the new model.
    williamlondonwatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 8 of 16
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,592member
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    miiwtwo said:
    I held off buying a Vision Pro even after doing two demos instead I invested the money into more Apple stock. By the time the second generation model  is available the recently purchased stock should have appreciated enough to cover the cost of the new model.
    I agree with your assessment - but only if you bought 200 shares of Apple stock ($34,600.) If Apple's stock continues to grow at 10%/year, which it has done for the last 3 years, you should be able to sell that stock next year for a 10% profit, which is the exact price of an Apple Vision Pro.
    nubusmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 16
    NYC362NYC362 Posts: 84member
    wdowell said:
    I can see how you arrived at that conclusion, but, and I can't stress this enough, *that isn't how enterprise works*. A company doesn't just buy one. The comments he made throughout earnings made it clear, they are being bought and *used* in enterprise for development and work at these companies.

It's a big deal.
    Absolutely right it's a big deal.

I know of one organization (I will obviously not name them here) that bought TEN of them.  I also saw from my own experiences with demos, that business use was going to be big.  I sold one unit to a customer who has a commercial solar energy company.  He didn't even want to bother with a demo.  Said he had read and saw enough about it to know that would be very useful in his line of work. 

williamlondonmattinozgregoriusmwatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 10 of 16
    nubusnubus Posts: 412member
    Apple Marketing positioned AVP as a gadget for personal productivity (home and office). But instead of seeing AVP as a gadget for watching dino movies, we have 60% of Fortune 500 companies looking at AVP as a professional tool ready for enterprise solutions. 60% of Fortune 500 after 3 months is outstanding. Customers get AVP.

The last brainstorm on enterprise at Apple Marketing probably ended like this: "we should do Xserve socks".
    williamlondongregoriusmgrandact73watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 16
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,344member
    nubus said:
    Apple Marketing positioned AVP as a gadget for personal productivity (home and office). But instead of seeing AVP as a gadget for watching dino movies, we have 60% of Fortune 500 companies looking at AVP as a professional tool ready for enterprise solutions. 60% of Fortune 500 after 3 months is outstanding. Customers get AVP.

The last brainstorm on enterprise at Apple Marketing probably ended like this: "we should do Xserve socks".
    Why put the screen on the front if it's intended for solo use?
    That feature means it was intended from early on to be used in a shared setting like an office. 

watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 12 of 16
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,065member
    I know this is difficult for many people here to understand but there is a very big difference between consumer marketing and enterprise marketing. If you have never worked for a company that does B2B, has wholesale partners, is a Fortune 500 company, it's understandable why you don't get this.

The marketing we see from Apple is all consumer focused so they primarily focus on consumer activities and usage cases. Something like using AVP during surgery isn't a consumer activity.

Moreover enterprise marketing is more believable when it is verifiable testimonials from actual customers, not some squawking from a marketing group. It's something like someone at FedEx saying "we used solution X from company Y to help us achieve Z saving us $millions and _____ hours". Or a surgeon that actually performed a procedure with someone in the operating theater wearing and using AVP to ensure a more accurate and speedy outcome.

So even if the initial marketing is targeted to consumers, there may be some intent to just get awareness that the device exists to the corporate market.

Remember the original iPad? The demographics of the early adopters were incredible. People with incomes over $100K, mostly professionals (physicians, scientists, engineers, etc.). Today a big part of iPad's sales are enterprise. iPads are electronic flight bags for multiple airlines, etc. But you can't market it that way in your consumer advertisement.

In summary: marketing communications isn't just one flavor (consumer). There are multiple ways to market a product or service depending on the target audience. Apple can't come out and say "Widget Q will save your company ____ dollars/hours." They need someone to use it and say "Widget Q saved our company _____ dollars/hours."

If you have worked at a company that has multiple channels (retail, wholesale/B2B, etc.) you will understand. And not all enterprise is the same. The message to a healthcare organization will likely be very different than the message to a government customer.

Companies like Apple have many marketing teams that focus on enterprise. They call on big corporate customers and often create specialized tech demos: "here's how someone running ____ CAD software would interact with this 3D model using AVP" or "here's how you can optimize your production workflow by using these data visualization tools to identify bottlenecks." That sort of stuff would cause Joe Consumer's eyes to glaze over.

So while one team might be calling on General Motors, another team might be calling on Pfizer. And a third team might be calling on the US Navy. And we'll never get to see their marketing collateral or tech demos. Because we're not the intended market.

Again, anyone who spend time working for a Fortune 500 company (in a non-retail/telephone support role) may understand this.
    edited May 3 FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 13 of 16
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,912member
    miiwtwo said:
    Claiming it’s a fail is hyperbolic nonsense. The original Macintosh cost over twice as much as AVP when corrected for inflation, look what happened there — it got bit cheaper and better. Funny how that works. 
    edited May 3 sphericFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 14 of 16
    M68000M68000 Posts: 761member
    If it’s a “big hit”, why is this not on mainstream news?? 
  • Reply 15 of 16
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,572member
    So half the Fortune 100 companies have bought a couple units for evaluation? 

Some of them might by hundreds, eventually, others will test the five or ten units they’ve bought for a while and then put them aside. 

It’s such a non-statement. 

It would seem that Apple are selling enough to establish the Vision Pro and not have the product sink without a trace, which I suppose was the goal. But it’s far from a „hit“ — yet. 

• Reply 16 of 16
    Folks, these are Fortune 100 Companies...and, Coca-Cola is the "smallest" company on this list. Companies on list this do not spend time "returning" a $3500 product -- even if each of the 51% purchased 10 of these, the amount of time that went into making the decision to purchase AVP cost more than the product itself. Even if 1 exec simply said "I want one", this is such a small purchase, 0 time will be spent to return.

That doesn't mean AVP will be useful to these corporations or that they will quickly purchase 100 more. But, it does mean that at least 51% of the LARGEST public companies in the US are curious as to whether or not it can be useful.

Historically, Apple has had trouble in the enterprise, mostly because dollar for dollar Macs were simply too expensive to purchase "for the rank and file" -- a $400 brick connected to a crap monitor is really all that the vast majority of employees need, in most sectors and departments. Macs are reserved for specific industries and departments within these organizations (tech, creative, etc.).

I doubt these companies raced out to purchase "Apple Watches" when those were released, and those were cheap compared to the AVP. This is a pretty big deal, maybe not today, but in the near future.
    nubus