Under-screen Face ID allegedly pushed back to 2026 iPhone 18 Pro

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    XedXed Posts: 2,623member
    bonobob said:
    Xed said:
    charlesn said:
     I really do not care if we ever get an under display FaceID with a pinhole or we just continue with the notch.  The notch has zero impact upon me at all and somehow a pinhole in the screen is not going to be a concern for those who dislike the notch.  People that dislike the notch will also dislike the pinhole. 
    Ummm... you realize the notch is gone, right? Replaced by "Dynamic Island," which is destined to join the dustbin of Apple history with other interface ideas that never gained significant support or traction ... 3D Touch, Touch Bar, etc. Personally, I found the notch less visually intrusive than the Island because the notch was at least integrated with the screen bezels. I'd never switch to Android, but I do admire the uninterrupted screen space of Samsung and Pixel phones.
    Huh?! For starters, in what way do you think it hasn't gained traction? Because people aren't talking about it? You don't think that could also mean that it's so well integrated that there's nothing to talk about?

Then you sayiDynamic Island is more visually intrusive than the notch. Well of course it is! The whole fucking point is that it's dynamically changing what it shows the user based on how the device is being utilized.

Personally I'd love for it to get more sophisticated with the next version of iOS.
    It would be less intrusive as a Dynamic Notch (Peninsula?), and would waste less screen space.
    I don't see Apple going for a":Dynamic Peninsula," but you can try. Maybe try Android, they're more open to bad ideas.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 22 of 33
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,286member
    Xed said:
    gatorguy said:
    Xed said:
    ralphie said:
    Just get under screen Touch ID like everyone else.
    No one has under screen Touch ID.
    Under-screen Touch ID is common. What they don't have is under-screen Face ID, which is what this article is about. 

The biometrically secure feature should be coming to Android phones next year, not impossible for late this year, courtesy of Trinamix and Qualcomm. Apple integrating the same feature in at least their 2025 iPhone Pro line would not be any shock to me (and yes I understand that the phone design is already locked in place), with 2026 a sure thing if some Android phones already have it.  
    No, it's not. There have been rumors of Apple coming out with under screen Touch ID for many years but it still hasn't happened.

If you disagree then by all means show me evidence of a single iPhone or iPad on the market that has it and I'll gladly acknowledge that I'm wrong.
    Geez dude. You go from saying "No one has under screen TouchID" (post 13), and when I point out that it's common on that other platform,  you pipe up saying I'm wrong because I can't name an iPhone that has it??

Some sleep will do you well. 
    edited May 5 avon b7M68000elijahgFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 23 of 33
    XedXed Posts: 2,623member
    gatorguy said:
    Xed said:
    gatorguy said:
    Xed said:
    ralphie said:
    Under-screen Touch ID is common. What they don't have is under-screen Face ID, which is what this article is about. 

The biometrically secure feature should be coming to Android phones next year, not impossible for late this year, courtesy of Trinamix and Qualcomm. Apple integrating the same feature in at least their 2025 iPhone Pro line would not be any shock to me (and yes I understand that the phone design is already locked in place), with 2026 a sure thing if some Android phones already have it.  
    No, it's not. There have been rumors of Apple coming out with under screen Touch ID for many years but it still hasn't happened.

If you disagree then by all means show me evidence of a single iPhone or iPad on the market that has it and I'll gladly acknowledge that I'm wrong.
    Geez dude. You go from saying "No one has under screen TouchID", and when I point out that it's common outside of iPhones you pipe up saying I'm wrong because Apple doesn't have it. 

Touch ID is an Apple trademark. As far as I know Apple has never used an under the screen fingerprint identity sensor or licensed their technology to others to use under the Touch ID trademark. You claimed that Apple's Touch ID was in use. I gave you the benefit of the doubt andI asked you to prove it by showing me one — just one — shipping product that utilized Touch ID. You've failed to do that at every turn.

If your argument is that other vendors have used an under-display fingerprinted sensor then you should've stated that. I'm sure you understand my basic query but choose to ignore it because you know full well that not all fingerprint sensors offer the same level of security or performance.

I think it's highly likely that Apple never released an under-display Touch ID sensor after so many years of patents, rumors, and what I assume was exhaustive research because it wasn't offering enough security to make it a worthwhile inclusion. Maybe they will in the future when the tech has finally become secure enough or maybe they won't because Face ID is more than sufficient, costs are too high, and/or some other reason. What I doubt will ever happen is Apple licensing Touch ID to Pixel, Huawei, and others.

https://www.apple.com/legal/intellectual-property/trademark/appletmlist.html
    edited May 5 williamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 33
    thttht Posts: 5,501member
    There's a rumor that the iPhone 17 Pro Max will have a shorter dynamic island because Apple will be using a metalens for the Face ID sensor cluster. Don't know what that entails, but a metalens for the IR and prox sensors would be very interesting. Metalens are basically pretty hard to get your head around. Like it's just a single layer of silicon full of nanorods of varying heights, which will enable it to have a wide field of view even though it is a flat <1mm lens. Only good for mono-color or light intensity for now, but 10 years down the road, the tech could do the whole gamet of big lens glass optics.

Anyways, I actually would mind some bezel. Put bigger speakers, more lights, sensors, cameras etc in those bezels. The industry has gone down the path of computational corrections and capability with a sparsity of sensors, preferring the all-screen look, but if you want to appear good in a video call? Having some light is like 90% of the job. 

iPhone 17 Pro or iPhone 18 Pro would be my upgrade path from my iPhone 12. Hoping for a good one.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    roakeroake Posts: 816member
    Xed said:
    gatorguy said:
    Xed said:
    gatorguy said:
    Xed said:
    ralphie said:

Geez dude. You go from saying "No one has under screen TouchID", and when I point out that it's common outside of iPhones you pipe up saying I'm wrong because Apple doesn't have it. 

Touch ID is an Apple trademark. As far as I know Apple has never used an under the screen fingerprint identity sensor or licensed their technology to others to use under the Touch ID trademark. You claimed that Apple's Touch ID was in use. I gave you the benefit of the doubt andI asked you to prove it by showing me one — just one — shipping product that utilized Touch ID. You've failed to do that at every turn.

If your argument is that other vendors have used an under-display fingerprinted sensor then you should've stated that. I'm sure you understand my basic query but choose to ignore it because you know full well that not all fingerprint sensors offer the same level of security or performance.

I think it's highly likely that Apple never released an under-display Touch ID sensor after so many years of patents, rumors, and what I assume was exhaustive research because it wasn't offering enough security to make it a worthwhile inclusion. Maybe they will in the future when the tech has finally become secure enough or maybe they won't because Face ID is more than sufficient, costs are too high, and/or some other reason. What I doubt will ever happen is Apple licensing Touch ID to Pixel, Huawei, and others.

Dude, you are a moving target mess.  Come back after you sober up.
    avon b7grandact73elijahgwilliamlondon
  • Reply 26 of 33
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    roake said:
    Xed said:
    gatorguy said:
    Xed said:
    gatorguy said:
    Xed said:
    ralphie said:

Can you explain what target you believe is moving? To me it reads like he's clearly referencing Touch ID at every turn. That link looks to go show that Touch ID is a registered trademark of Apple.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    Soli said:
    roake said:
    Xed said:
    gatorguy said:
    Xed said:
    gatorguy said:
    Xed said:
    ralphie said:

Can you explain what target you believe is moving? To me it reads like he's clearly referencing Touch ID at every turn. That link looks to go show that Touch ID is a registered trademark of Apple.
    Hey, welcome buddy!
  • Reply 28 of 33
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 861member
    Same rumor with no substantiation
     Apple has the patents for it but appears that they are not willing to give up their margin of profit which is really the problem
     The only way we see Under-screen Face ID is when iPhone sales take a big hit and Apple becomes more desperate for sales 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 29 of 33
    Xed said:
    gatorguy said:
    Xed said:
    gatorguy said:
    Xed said:
    ralphie said:

Ah, tricky tricky... :) So you were never referencing a feature enabling certified secure payments/banking, etc, by the use of an under-screen touch ID sensor.
    You only were commenting on the Apple trademark "TouchID". Fair enough, Apple doesn't offer secure touch identification functions on any recent devices, nor have they licensed the trademark to anyone else. Biometric security on smartphones other than Apple's must technically go by another, even if it works in search. Gotcha.
    edited May 6
  • Reply 30 of 33
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,917member
    Face id works fine but I miss TOUCH ID. Not sure when some phone manufacturers already have workable under screen touch id. Curious why, what is taking so long for iPhone to add it ?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 31 of 33
    M68000M68000 Posts: 765member
    wood1208 said:
    Face id works fine but I miss TOUCH ID. Not sure when some phone manufacturers already have workable under screen touch id. Curious why, what is taking so long for iPhone to add it ?
    Perhaps it is a combination of two things.  First is cost.  Secondly,  only having face ID shows that Apple stands by face ID as being a good thing and right choice by them.   It would be nice to have both,  but i have given up hope.  Android has had underscreen fingerprint scanning for years.  Apple seems to have no interest.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,775member
    Always a year away because any idiot analyst can say X feature is Y years away with no actual clue, thus manipulating Apple's share price when it doesn't happen in the time they pulled out their ass.
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 33 of 33
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,346member
    wood1208 said:
    I am speculating, but I believe it is because a) it is less secure than FaceID, or at least Apple thinks it is, and b) having watched my Android friends attempt to demonstrate underscreen touch identification, I find that it takes them a few tries to get it to work on a fairly consistent basis.

And before GatorGuy comes by to claim otherwise to earn his daily bread, I'll just add that both Apple users and Android users TEND to do the TouchID/unscreen fingerprint reading thing "wrong" by mashing down on either the button or screen. A fingerprint reader works as designed on either platform if you just LAY your finger on the appropriate area. I cannot even tell you how often I have taught people to stop mashing that button on their iPhone or Android and suddenly the fingerprint works *perfectly* when they'd about given up on it prior to this revelation.