Apple's new iPad Pro gets M4 power, advanced Tandem OLED screens

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,577member
    A bit more, if anyone’s still coming here. The Settings app is subtly different. The type is slightly larger. They’ve cut the spacing between the left column and the right column slightly as well as the space to the right of the right column. So that column is very noticeably wider.
    ronnmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 62 of 73
    thttht Posts: 5,535member
    melgross said:
    Marvin said:
    melgross said:
    tht said:
    melgross said:
    Well, now it’s the 23rd to the 31st. Ok, I hope it’s better.
    It'll come in no time.  :D

My main interest with the nanotexture is airplane usage. It's a crazy lighting environment which can make using a computer display frustrating. Since I'm not on airplanes too much these days, and it likely reduces contrast and sharpness, probably not worth it to me. Waiting on a live look at it myself though.
    I’m 50/50 about having ordered the nano display. I’ll have to compare it to my wife’s, which will be here tomorrow. I wanted to try it. I like it in the Studio Display. This has to be different in some way or we wouldn’t get able to use the Pencil with it. These technologies get improved over time so this should be more rugged. As far as visual differences, I can see some in the reviews as vied in my M2 iPad Pro. The nano does have less black and likely slightly obscured shadow detail, but as some have mentioned, it’s mostly at somewhat oblique angles which isn’t a real problem.

I’m generalynot a fan of matte displays, because of these reasons and have said that here and elsewhere. In a perfect world we would have glossy displays used in dark rooms. That’s how we did our work back when, in my company. Hopefully, I won’t regret the choice.
    It looks worse off-angle but not so bad straight on and normal lighting probably won't be as bright as the reviews:

The nano texture test is at 9:30 in the video. The glossy one looks best to get the deeper black levels.
    There is the expected difference. Not too bad really. My Studio Display with it looks great.
    Did you get your iPP with nanotexture yet?

Also curious about fingerprints on the nanotexture. How much do they show? How easy is it to clean off? How much friction is there with the Pencil.
  • Reply 63 of 73
    tht said:
    melgross said:
    Marvin said:
    melgross said:
    tht said:
    melgross said:
    Well, now it’s the 23rd to the 31st. Ok, I hope it’s better.
    It'll come in no time.  :D

My main interest with the nanotexture is airplane usage. It's a crazy lighting environment which can make using a computer display frustrating. Since I'm not on airplanes too much these days, and it likely reduces contrast and sharpness, probably not worth it to me. Waiting on a live look at it myself though.
    I’m 50/50 about having ordered the nano display. I’ll have to compare it to my wife’s, which will be here tomorrow. I wanted to try it. I like it in the Studio Display. This has to be different in some way or we wouldn’t get able to use the Pencil with it. These technologies get improved over time so this should be more rugged. As far as visual differences, I can see some in the reviews as vied in my M2 iPad Pro. The nano does have less black and likely slightly obscured shadow detail, but as some have mentioned, it’s mostly at somewhat oblique angles which isn’t a real problem.

I’m generalynot a fan of matte displays, because of these reasons and have said that here and elsewhere. In a perfect world we would have glossy displays used in dark rooms. That’s how we did our work back when, in my company. Hopefully, I won’t regret the choice.
    It looks worse off-angle but not so bad straight on and normal lighting probably won't be as bright as the reviews:

The nano texture test is at 9:30 in the video. The glossy one looks best to get the deeper black levels.
    There is the expected difference. Not too bad really. My Studio Display with it looks great.
    Did you get your iPP with nanotexture yet?

Also curious about fingerprints on the nanotexture. How much do they show? How easy is it to clean off? How much friction is there with the Pencil.
    No, not until May 23 -31. Very frustrating. I’ve read a lot of reviews by artists, some if whom have got those displays. The general consensus, so far, seems to be that a minor lessening of ultimate blacks, but not much else. The slight texture, according to some, is noticeable, and feels better. I can say something interesting though. I know some people on YouTube like to make things up, even if just slightly. So, the reality of the blacks from my wife’s and my M2 is that there is no difference in ultimate black. None! Actually, I didn’t expect any, and I’ve said that in the past, though I did say that it’s expected that there would be a minor difference. But really, none. I don’t trust people who claim that they can see a difference. 

I did notice something strange though. The overall color balance on the two models is different. I’m really surprised at that. My old one is ever so slightly magenta and the new one is ever so slightly green. When I took a pic of the two together, the old one comes out ever so slightly green and the new one ever so slightly magenta. I have no explanation for that. They were both in reference mode.
  • Reply 64 of 73
    Here it is, the 25th and my iPad is still stuck as processing my order. I don’t get it since people who have ordered after I did, with the same config, have already gotten theirs, some, a week ago.
  • Reply 65 of 73
    Ok, finally some movement. If anyone/s still here, I just got a preparing to ship change on my order. Hopefully no later than Friday.  Ayden even Thursday.
    ronn
  • Reply 66 of 73
    melgross said:
    Ok, finally some movement. If anyone/s still here, I just got a preparing to ship change on my order. Hopefully no later than Friday.  Ayden even Thursday.
    Waiting on your evaluation of fingerprints on the nano-texture and how well or easy it is clean off. 

Also, friction of the Pencil tip on the nano-texture. Does it make a scratching sound?
    ronn
  • Reply 67 of 73
    Yea! It’s shipped.
    ronn
  • Reply 68 of 73
    So, is anyone here?

the iPad came a little while ago. Some first impressions. Like with my wife’s, the new screens are slightly green when compared to the last mini LED models. It’s very slight, and the effect is doubled when putting both screens next to one another. I don’t know why, as the last screens were rated as being near perfect. At any rate, doing comparisons between photos on my friend’s site Digiloyd, I actually do prefer the new screen. As color was my profession in the photo world, I’m sensitive to it. The older screens were just a bit too magenta.

As far as the nano texture goes, it’s really not noticeable. We read so much about this, but I’ve found that the blacks and saturation between my wife’s and mine are pretty much the same. I’ve also seen a video where the guy says that you can hardly see the image on the screen from an angle, and that’s totally wrong. The off angle viewing is just fine. It’s odd, but with the nano screen, type feels more like a book reader with their matte screens. Whatever harshness the glossy screens may have is moderated with this. Reading is a bit easier.

this is new technology. It’s not just an etched screen. Apple shows a dot-like pattern to it. I haven’t gotten a microscope out yet to look, but I normally dislike matte. It damages the image very noticeably. But this does not. I really hope we’ll see it on the Macbook Pro, even at a premium. It’s also somewhat different to the one on my Studio monitor, which I’ve been happy with.

i only spent a minute with the Pencil pro so far so I can’t say much about that. I was never one to hate the glossy screen feel with it though. But it feels slightly different. It glides a bit more smoothly. I’m using this right now with the Folio cover, which is much better than the older one. There are two main stops to the angle. One is straight up, the other leans back about the same as the old one, and you can position it in between. It’s a bit bouncy, which feels odd. I haven’t tried the new Magic Keyboard with it yet.

i haven’t sent a photo up on this site for some time and I can’t seem to figure out how to right now. I used to just be able to pull it from my Photo album, but that doesn’t seem to be working.
    edited May 29 thtmuthuk_vanalingamronn
  • Reply 69 of 73
    Thanks for all the comments, Melgross! Appreciate it!

Fingerprints on the nano texture, and how well does it clean?
  • Reply 70 of 73
    tht said:
    Thanks for all the comments, Melgross! Appreciate it!

Fingerprints on the nano texture, and how well does it clean?
    So far, fingerprints don’t seem to be much of a problem. You can put them there, but they don’t stand out as much. They wipe off pretty easily.

i’ve seen a lot of reviews of these things while waiting for mine to arrive. A lot of people love to exaggerate, or I suppose, nobody will watch them. But at least in the few hours I’ve had it, it performs very well overall. Even simple things such as swiping pages in a book in the Kindle app is noticeably faster. At first, I had to look twice to see if I mis swiped. 

Tomorrow I’m going to try the Magic Keyboard out. With the folio it’s noticeably lighter. And yes, it feels thinner too. I don’t understand how all of those “experienced” reviewers don’t notice those things. I’ve played around more with the Pencil. The barrel roll is easier to control than I thought it would be. The squeeze is great to use, very natural feeling.  I’m eager for some companies to come out with the updates for the Pencil Pro.

one odd thing right now is that my notifications aren’t coming in on this even thought everything is turned on as before. I’ll have to work on that tomorrow.
    muthuk_vanalingamronn
  • Reply 71 of 73
    So, another observation, or two. One is that moving your finger around on the nano screen is easier. It sticks a bit with glossy screens, which I never thought about before because no comparison. But I wasn’t thinking about it yesterday, but noticed it earlier this morning. So I went to my older one and swiped around. Yup, the nano has almost no resistance to my finger. It’s hard to describe, but very noticeable.

the Magic Keyboard keys are very good, the same as their laptops with the new keys. The trackpad is better than last year’s. It’s still a bit small when comparing to the notebooks, but big enough to be comfortable and matches the notebook feel. The while thing is noticeably lighter, but with the keyboard, by today’s standards for light, not really light. Lighter than my M1 13” Macbook Pro.

ok, outdoors. In the shade on this bright sunny day, it looks pretty good for outside. In direct sunlight, it’s very readable, but no one can honestly say it looks good. It looks like a book reader. If you get the direct sun at just the wrong angle, you can’t really see anything. That’s asking too much. This would have to be several times as bright for that. But facing away from the sun, it’s fine.
    ronn
  • Reply 72 of 73
    melgross said:

i’ve seen a lot of reviews of these things while waiting for mine to arrive. A lot of people love to exaggerate, or I suppose, nobody will watch them. But at least in the few hours I’ve had it, it performs very well overall. Even simple things such as swiping pages in a book in the Kindle app is noticeably faster. At first, I had to look twice to see if I mis swiped. 
    Yeah, computers are complex and 99% of the reviewers and punditry are just bad at talking about the topic of their reviews, videos or articles. Well, it's probably that it is bad on purpose as the goal isn't to educate, but to get eyeballs. Not enough people are going to spend the time reading or watching dry tomes on Watt-Hours expended on web browsing theVerge, Anandtech or Notebookcheck websites. Youtubers in particular are trained by Youtube to be as tabloid crazy as possible. Splash pages are exaggerated, headlines are cliffhangers, everyone is screaming, etc. Crazy.

Like, Federico Viticci's article on iPadOS issues, where a FCP export is killed if you switch away from it, is one those not exactly true things. Apparently, if you use FCP with Stage Manager, the export does not stop when switch away from it. If Stage Manager is not active, then, yes it could be killed. One of my big complaints is none of the reviews and punditry hasn't characterized what is the multitasking behavior for Stage Manager, and what is it like with an external monitor. Viticci doesn't use Stage Manager.

So, another observation, or two. One is that moving your finger around on the nano screen is easier. It sticks a bit with glossy screens, which I never thought about before because no comparison. But I wasn’t thinking about it yesterday, but noticed it earlier this morning. So I went to my older one and swiped around. Yup, the nano has almost no resistance to my finger. It’s hard to describe, but very noticeable.
    Is the difference between the nano-texture and the glossy when moving a Pencil across the surface? Scratchy?
  • Reply 73 of 73
    tht said:
    melgross said:

Yeah, computers are complex and 99% of the reviewers and punditry are just bad at talking about the topic of their reviews, videos or articles. Well, it's probably that it is bad on purpose as the goal isn't to educate, but to get eyeballs. Not enough people are going to spend the time reading or watching dry tomes on Watt-Hours expended on web browsing theVerge, Anandtech or Notebookcheck websites. Youtubers in particular are trained by Youtube to be as tabloid crazy as possible. Splash pages are exaggerated, headlines are cliffhangers, everyone is screaming, etc. Crazy.

Like, Federico Viticci's article on iPadOS issues, where a FCP export is killed if you switch away from it, is one those not exactly true things. Apparently, if you use FCP with Stage Manager, the export does not stop when switch away from it. If Stage Manager is not active, then, yes it could be killed. One of my big complaints is none of the reviews and punditry hasn't characterized what is the multitasking behavior for Stage Manager, and what is it like with an external monitor. Viticci doesn't use Stage Manager.

Is the difference between the nano-texture and the glossy when moving a Pencil across the surface? Scratchy?
    Yes, a lot of reviews are sketchy. One guy, who doesn’t really use the Pencil said it wasn’t worth the money and he said that, even though he doesn’t draw, that the nano screen shouldn’t be bought by artists, or pretty much anyone. He has a lot of subs and several people said thanks that’s what they wanted to know and wouldn’t spend the extra money. Inexcusable, really. Artists seem to really like the screen and so do I.

the Pencil glides over the screen. You can feel a bit of feedback that you don’t get with the glossy screen. It’s not a pronounced difference, but it’s still obvious. It’s definitely not scratchy. More like your writing on a smooth harder paper, or some vellum. It’s hard to describe exactly, but the surface seems softer and more giving that the glossy screen. Not true, of course. It just feels that way. Maybe the Pencil point is a bit softer.
    edited May 31