At last Apple is dumping those pointless, wasteful stickers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,475member
    I like Apple stickers but I do think it makes no sense to provide everyone with them. It should be asked for free with purchase though. 

Alex1NFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 43
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 13,033member
    MplsP said:
    They switched from leather to an inferior fabric for their cases out of ‘environmental concerns’ but kept including the useless stickers. There’s backwards logic for you.
    lol nonsense. We know cattle have a huge problem with sustainability, and methane gas (let alone animal sufferin). What data do you offer that supports similar concerns with random paper or stickers? 

I still think it’s crazy how mad some of you get over a company deciding the animal butchery industry isn’t for them, despite have a marketplace full of choices available to you. “No! Everybody must like everything *I* like! Everyone must share my values!”
    ronnAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 43
    bytorbytor Posts: 32member
    I guess it's a slow news day. 
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 43
    hankkhankk Posts: 5member
    The stickers pre-dated the Mac. My Apple IIe and IIgs both included rainbow apple stickers.
    ronnAlex1NFileMakerFellerwatto_cobraking editor the grate
  • Reply 25 of 43
    cincyteecincytee Posts: 419member
    Don't need them in every Apple product box, I suppose, since I have ... a lot. Would be nice to keep some at Apple stores, though, to offer customers that might want them.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 43
    mikethemartianmikethemartian Posts: 1,466member
    I always liked the stickers.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 43
    mikethemartianmikethemartian Posts: 1,466member
    MplsP said:
    They switched from leather to an inferior fabric for their cases out of ‘environmental concerns’ but kept including the useless stickers. There’s backwards logic for you.
    lol nonsense. We know cattle have a huge problem with sustainability, and methane gas (let alone animal sufferin). What data do you offer that supports similar concerns with random paper or stickers? 

I still think it’s crazy how mad some of you get over a company deciding the animal butchery industry isn’t for them, despite have a marketplace full of choices available to you. “No! Everybody must like everything *I* like! Everyone must share my values!”
    Do they serve meat at their cafeteria?
    Alex1N
  • Reply 28 of 43
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,947member
    timpetus said:
    I still have some of the rainbow Apple stickers. They are among my favorite collectibles. I'll miss the stickers being included with Apple products; some of them get replaced at about the same rate as my cars, and I almost always put a sticker on my car. I imagine the stickers will become more valuable if Apple stops including them with everything from now on.
    They're also very useful if you have a glass door that people tend to walk into — put one on the door at eye level for the average height person and avoid broken noses! (And broken glass.)
    Alex1NFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 43
    XedXed Posts: 2,806member
    MplsP said:

Do they serve meat at their cafeteria?
    Not the same thing. The leather used in their wallets isn't coming from chicken, pork, or cattle raised as beef or dairy.
    ronn
  • Reply 30 of 43
    treefishtreefish Posts: 8member
    I put two on my car in 2006, they’re still there in perfect condition. Awesome. My recycle bin has 50, a work of Art.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobraKramTurner
  • Reply 31 of 43
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,023member
    Glad I have a lifetime supply. I kind of liked them. I never stick them on my car but have seen plenty of them on car windows.  

I used one once on the side of my Mac Pro for some reason a decade ago.  And used one somewhere else.  

But I liked the idea 
    Alex1Nwatto_cobraKramTurner
  • Reply 32 of 43
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,987member
    MplsP said:

Apple said nothing about 'animal butchery' and I don't if they serve meat in their cafeteria. What I care about was having a good, durable case. Like I said, they compromised quality when they switched from leather to 'fine' woven cases. Less quality, same price = worse value. That's what I care about.

Xed said:
    MplsP said:
    I think it's clear that those stickers affect the environment a lot less than the leather and you know they did both within a year, right? Not exactly the "backwards logic" you claim it to be.
    The cumulative effect of the millions of stickers in every single box is much more than you appreciate, and as I said, removing the stickers is free while chaining the case had a cost in terms of quality and durability.
    Alex1Nmuthuk_vanalingamFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 33 of 43
    symeonsymeon Posts: 1member
    I've always loved the stickers. Kind of a secret nod between Macintosh users back in the day. Later, the kids always got excited for them, even if I cared a bit less about them. I'm just a tad sad to see them gone.

Not sure what to say about a person who is afraid of less then full sized sheets of paper though. Maybe that was a joke?
    watto_cobraking editor the grateKramTurner
  • Reply 34 of 43
    paisleydiscopaisleydisco Posts: 130member
    Etsy has entered the chat.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 43
    darbus69darbus69 Posts: 46member
    Whatever, Some of us love to display our @Apple fanboy stickers proudly, in fact #MeThinks I will switch back to @MacRumors because of your negative comment, #GrowUp #GetALife
    watto_cobraKramTurner
  • Reply 36 of 43
    cjcoopscjcoops Posts: 112member
    Xed said:
    Not the same thing. The leather used in their wallets isn't coming from chicken, pork, or cattle raised as beef or dairy.
    Do you think the dairy & beef industry is throwing away the skins? Seriously?

https://www.peta.org/issues/animals-used-for-clothing/leather-industry/leather-factory-farming/

"Most leather comes from cows raised for both beefand milk"

"Buying leather directly contributes to factory farms and slaughterhouses because skin is the most economically important coproduct of the meat industry."

(I do use leather on my iphone mini case - and use Bestgrip leather grips on my golf clubs)

ps Pigskin is excellent leather, as is kangaroo amongst many other animal skins.

edited May 9 FileMakerFellerwatto_cobraronnMplsP
  • Reply 37 of 43
    I agree that at one point - when Apple was struggling - it was a mark of distinction and support. I even put a NeXT computer sticker on my car in 1990. At this point, I am happy to buy a car WITHOUT a dealer sticker. No free advertising on computers or cars.

• Reply 38 of 43
    40domi40domi Posts: 138member
    Never used one in the 7 years as an Apple user, I suspect most people are the same.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    XedXed Posts: 2,806member
    cjcoops said:
    Xed said:
    Do you think the dairy & beef industry is throwing away the skins? Seriously?

https://www.peta.org/issues/animals-used-for-clothing/leather-industry/leather-factory-farming/

"Most leather comes from cows raised for both beefand milk"

"Buying leather directly contributes to factory farms and slaughterhouses because skin is the most economically important coproduct of the meat industry."

(I do use leather on my iphone mini case - and use Bestgrip leather grips on my golf clubs)

ps Pigskin is excellent leather, as is kangaroo amongst many other animal skins.
    1) That's interesting. Thanks. I can't find the source I had read so I have no choice but to assume that I misremembered what I read.

2) I did read that 80% of leather now comes from China. That could be a reason Apple is wanting to stop using leather. Sure, they still lean on China heavily for production and assembly, but they are trying hard to cut back as they look to toward the future. 

3) Maybe I'm not fancy enough to want a leather case — I don't even own a  leather  watch band for my Ultra — but I don't think it matters since there are countless options for accessories out there. Perhaps it's mostly about their ROI for this one accessory. If I got to tell Apple one area they should start making products for again, it wouldn't a leather iPhone case, but home routers (and NAS's) running A-series chips and homeOS.
    ronnfastasleep
  • Reply 40 of 43
    apple4thewinapple4thewin Posts: 209member
    darbus69 said:
    Whatever, Some of us love to display our @Apple fanboy stickers proudly, in fact #MeThinks I will switch back to @MacRumors because of your negative comment, #GrowUp #GetALife
    Ex-Squeeze-Me Mesa Tink No