The iPad has come so incredibly far since 2010, and fulfills Steve Jobs' vision perfectly

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    XedXed Posts: 2,692member
    nubus said:
    iPad Pro is the touch-mac Apple won't give us. Great hardware that could be so much more with the option to use macOS when a keyboard is attached.

Any musicians that like installing Logic for iPad and Logic for Mac with different settings and keeping projects coordinated when moving between live and studio? Any video editor that like having two versions of FCP? I get that Apple is happy to sell the software 2x, but Apple should allow users to run macOS.
    Patience. iPadOS Stage Manager and now Function keys on the keyboard. You don't think Apple would love one unified OS? I would like to believe Apple is really trying to get it done. Done only in the Apple way. That is to make is as seamless as possible. 

How exactly do you envision Apple having a single, unified OS?
  • Reply 22 of 26
    Xed said:
    nubus said:
    iPad Pro is the touch-mac Apple won't give us. Great hardware that could be so much more with the option to use macOS when a keyboard is attached.

Any musicians that like installing Logic for iPad and Logic for Mac with different settings and keeping projects coordinated when moving between live and studio? Any video editor that like having two versions of FCP? I get that Apple is happy to sell the software 2x, but Apple should allow users to run macOS.
    Patience. iPadOS Stage Manager and now Function keys on the keyboard. You don't think Apple would love one unified OS? I would like to believe Apple is really trying to get it done. Done only in the Apple way. That is to make is as seamless as possible. 

I have no idea. I'm not inside the Cupertino labs. But you'd have to be crazy to think they're not trying. 
  • Reply 23 of 26
    I noted at the time that Jobs' citation of "all cars were trucks" was insanely coo-coo. He was surely familiar with the Model T.

Not sure what you mean by 'all cars were trucks' -- But here is more detail:

"Steve Jobs famously compared computers to trucks and tablets to cars during an interview at the D8 Conference in 2010. His analogy was meant to illustrate the shift in the computing landscape that was happening at the time. 

Jobs likened traditional personal computers (PCs) to trucks, which were necessary for certain tasks but not for everyone. He argued that just as trucks were essential for some people due to their specific needs, traditional PCs were essential for tasks that required more power and capabilities, such as content creation and heavy computing tasks.

On the other hand, Jobs compared tablets, like the iPad, to cars. He believed that tablets were more accessible and user-friendly, appealing to a broader audience for everyday tasks like web browsing, email, and consuming media. By using the car analogy, Jobs was suggesting that tablets were more convenient, portable, and easier to use for the average consumer, similar to how cars are more popular and accessible than trucks for everyday transportation.

Overall, Jobs' comparison highlighted the changing dynamics in the technology industry, with a shift towards more portable, user-friendly devices like tablets that catered to a broader audience beyond just tech enthusiasts and professionals."

• Reply 24 of 26
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,480member
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    The iPad is still stuck being a content consumer device, apart from Pencil art and a little music and some video. Yes there are powerful music and video apps but you still can do more with a laptop. And buying a keyboard to prop the screen up like a laptop is silly. I purchased three iPads and ended up donating them to family.
    Lucky family members, now they have a new computer.
    I don't know anyone who would consider an iPad as a computer, not even Apple's own ads. But my family members use the iPads to watch videos, browse photos, and read emails. They still use laptops for focus time.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 26
    iOS_Guy80 said:
    The iPad is still stuck being a content consumer device, apart from Pencil art and a little music and some video. Yes there are powerful music and video apps but you still can do more with a laptop. And buying a keyboard to prop the screen up like a laptop is silly. I purchased three iPads and ended up donating them to family.
    Lucky family members, now they have a new computer.
    I don't know anyone who would consider an iPad as a computer, not even Apple's own ads. But my family members use the iPads to watch videos, browse photos, and read emails. They still use laptops for focus time.
    I would. It’s considerably more of a personal computer than any Mac or Windows PC. The same for the iPhone and Watch.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    Xed said:
    nubus said:

I have no idea. I'm not inside the Cupertino labs. But you'd have to be crazy to think they're not trying. 
    I think it’s clearly crazy to think that macOS would ever be on an iPad or that iPadOS would ever be on the Mac.

feature parity does not equate creating a single OS. There is zero upside for Apple to do so.