Maryland Apple Store staff vote in favor of strike action

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    sunman42sunman42 Posts: 279member
    It’s one store shut it down and move on. 
    Or, Apple management should grow up and negotiate seriously with the union. It's the law.

But more seriously, the company's management could recognize that they have no retail revenue stream without retail employees, and start treating them like human beings. It won't affect the bottom line that much, but it will go a long way toward helping with public goodwill for a corporation that is facing a lot of legal challenges around the world..

edited May 13 muthuk_vanalingamronn
  • Reply 22 of 31

NotSoMuch said:
    40domi said:
    Apple should make an example of them, let them strike, bring in staff from other stores (or shut it down) we'll see how they feel after a couple of months without pay (probably too stupid to realise they won't get paid)
    As far as retail is concerned, probably the best job going and they get 40% discounts, so can make money on the side, by buying and selling stuff!
    100 years ago, even 50 years ago, workers generally were poorly paid and treated, now with all the laws, Unions just scam workers 😡
    That was a well thought out and educated comment. 

I assume you left off the </sarcasm> at the end of that sentence intentionally.

sphericronn
  • Reply 23 of 31

macxpress said:
    It doesn't surprise me that Apple isn't negotiating in good faith.  Hopefully the threat of a strike will be enough that Apple takes them seriously.

All of retail needs to unionize.  Retail workers have been abused for far too long.
    Please....it's not like they aren't paid well for retail. They can always leave if they don't like where they work. Someone is there waiting to fill their shoes. 
    Judging by a family member's experience working for Apple Retail, they are not paid well — and if you read the rationale for asking for a strike authorization vote, it focused on Apple's unwillingness to discuss scheduling and pay keeping up with the cost of living. We're not talking about engineers in Silicon Valley; we're talking about retail workers.
    sir_pabloronn
  • Reply 24 of 31
    teejay2012teejay2012 Posts: 393member
    Labour laws differ between countries but I'm pretty sure that firing a unionised employee for going on strike is illegal no matter where you are. So is bringing in replacement workers, except in clearly defined situations that form part of the agreement between the union and the employer.

You can't stop workers from going on strike. However employers can legally bring in replacement workers in many countries including the US, if that is required to keep the business going. Businesses can also close down sites but that is a big move, hard to recover from as customers learn to go elsewhere. AFAIK, if the strike was for economic reasons rather than unfair labor practices, employees do not have a right to immediate reinstatement but are put on a preferential rehiring list. Unless you participated in violence or damaged company property - then you are done. This is for private companies, and may be different for government employees. Strikes are like divorces, best to avoid as usually no one is happy with results.

• Reply 25 of 31
    sconosciutosconosciuto Posts: 275member
    macxpress said:
    chasm said:
    macxpress said:
    Please....it's not like they aren't paid well for retail. They can always leave if they don't like where they work. Someone is there waiting to fill their shoes. 
    Ackshully ... there's not. Businesses are very seriously hurting for workers in retail generally right now, primarily because they won't pay what it costs to live in retail areas in most cities, and also because customers have generally become stupider, more belligerent, and more prone to harassment and other unacceptable behaviour.

In addition to this, Apple Stores require well-spoken, well-groomed, intelligent employees with vast and yet often deep technical knowledge generally, top-notch customer relation skills, and very specific knowledge about all of Apple's current and most of their past products, common issues, and more.

These are skills that should be valued and paid accordingly. Apple pays better than McDonald's, sure, but not that much better. And there's much more that needs to be addressed beyond just pay. As noted in these stories, people have kids, they have families, they have health conditions. They're asking for things like regular schedules so they can fit their personal lives reliably around work, and pay that reflects the cost of living nearby where they work

They are paid accordingly. They also get benefits as well. This is not professional position...it's retail. And trust me, if someone leaves tomorrow there WILL be someone waiting to come in. Again, this isn't corporate Apple, this is retail where they won't have an issue replacing someone. 
    I sure hope you share your classist AF attitude with food service workers who serve you in the future.
    ronnspheric
  • Reply 26 of 31

dewme said:
    Without picking a side on this 
    Didn’t you, though?
    ronn
  • Reply 27 of 31
    sir_pablo said:

I was unfortunately fired from Apple retail a few years ago. The reason given for my termination was that I "may have violated policy" by refusing to sign documents that would provide Apple with my medical records. I believe that I had a right to privacy and that I should not have been forced to disclose my medical information to my employer.

I'm glad to see that Apple workers are now unionized and have more power to protect their rights. I hope that my experience can help to raise awareness about the importance of worker protections.

jUsT gEt AnOtHer jOb
  • Reply 28 of 31
    sir_pablo said:

I was unfortunately fired from Apple retail a few years ago. The reason given for my termination was that I "may have violated policy" by refusing to sign documents that would provide Apple with my medical records. I believe that I had a right to privacy and that I should not have been forced to disclose my medical information to my employer.

I'm glad to see that Apple workers are now unionized and have more power to protect their rights. I hope that my experience can help to raise awareness about the importance of worker protections.

jUsT gEt AnOtHer jOb

You know what, sconosciuto, you're right. I did find another job.

But frankly, your dismissive "just get another job" comment only highlights the issue. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have readily available options, especially when dealing with unfair situations like the one I faced.

This experience solidified my belief in worker protections and privacy rights. Maybe you've never been in a similar situation, but a little empathy can go a long way.

ronnmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 29 of 31
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,621member
    sir_pablo said:
    sir_pablo said:

jUsT gEt AnOtHer jOb

You know what, sconosciuto, you're right. I did find another job.

But frankly, your dismissive "just get another job" comment only highlights the issue. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have readily available options, especially when dealing with unfair situations like the one I faced.

This experience solidified my belief in worker protections and privacy rights. Maybe you've never been in a similar situation, but a little empathy can go a long way.

Sconosciuto was making fun of macxpress‘ „let them eat cake“ attitude — hence the random capitalisation. It’s a dig at the often sub-par literacy of right-wing outrageists. 
    edited May 14 ronnmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 30 of 31
    spheric said:
    Sconosciuto was making fun of macxpress‘ „let them eat cake“ attitude — hence the random capitalisation. It’s a dig at the often sub-par literacy of right-wing outrageists. 
    Thanks, Spheric. Goes to show I need to brush up on my internet sarcasm detection skills.
    sphericmuthuk_vanalingam