Nine-core M4 iPad Pro benchmarks leak, still smokes M2

Posted:
in iPad

A new set of alleged benchmarks for the nine-core M4 in the iPad Pro indicates that it will still provide buyers with a massive performance boost.

M4 iPad Pro
M4 iPad Pro



Following the launch of the M4 iPad Pro models, aninitial benchmark claimed to show the M4 as being very powerful. Now, a second seems to show both variants of the M4 chip will offer good performance to consumers.

The M4 generation consists of two versions. A top-tier variant has ten cores, consisting of four performance cores and six efficiency cores.

A second version exists with nine, available in some lower-capacity configurations of iPad Pro. That uses three performance cores along with six efficiency cores.

The second benchmark, surfacing on Sunday, is for an iPad referred to as "iPad 16,4" on Geekbench. The listing indicates it to be the nine-core variant due to its 3-core and 6-core cluster counts.

The two leaked M4 single-core benchmarks versus the M2
The two leaked M4 single-core benchmarks versus the M2



The Geekbench listing offers a single-core score of 3,630 and a multi-core score of 13,060.

When put against the previous 10-core benchmark leak, the nine-core M4's single-core result is quite close, being just 137 points behind. By contrast, the M2 in the 12.9-inch iPad Pro is at 2,540, 1,090 points behind.

On the multi-core side, the 9-core result is a bit behind the 10-core's 14,667. The ten-core is 12% better than the nine-core here, which makes sense given the extra core.

Leaked M4 benchmarks against M2 in multi-core testing
Leaked M4 benchmarks against M2 in multi-core testing



The M2, meanwhile, manages a mere 9,630. This means the nine-core M4 is still 35% better than the M2.

According to Apple's promotional material, the M4 delivers a 1.5-times improvement on CPU performance. While the ten-core benchmark seems to meet that mark, the nine-core is still pretty close.

However, while these benchmarks are plausible, they do occur before the actual release of the tablets to the public. It remains to be seen if these figures will hold up under the weight of multiple inbound benchmarks.



Read on AppleInsider

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 20
    Solid silicon update. 

    Anyone want to bet that we will see some refreshed Macs@WWDC with the M4? Since they are making a massive AI play it would make sense to get the M4 into both the IPadOS and macOS camps stat.

    My old Mac with M1Max may need a refresh..
    aderutternarwhaljas99Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 20
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,432member
    Solid silicon update. 

    Anyone want to bet that we will see some refreshed Macs@WWDC with the M4? Since they are making a massive AI play it would make sense to get the M4 into both the IPadOS and macOS camps stat.

    My old Mac with M1Max may need a refresh..
    Before apple surprised everyone with an m4 iPad I was guessing there would be no new Mac hardware at WWDC. But now I’m not sure what to think. I could imagine everything from no updates to the entire lineup being updated all at once. 
    narwhalbala1234Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 20
    thttht Posts: 5,550member
    blastdoor said:
    Solid silicon update. 

    Anyone want to bet that we will see some refreshed Macs@WWDC with the M4? Since they are making a massive AI play it would make sense to get the M4 into both the IPadOS and macOS camps stat.

    My old Mac with M1Max may need a refresh..
    Before apple surprised everyone with an m4 iPad I was guessing there would be no new Mac hardware at WWDC. But now I’m not sure what to think. I could imagine everything from no updates to the entire lineup being updated all at once. 
    The MBA models were updated to M3 like 2 months ago. That will be going until at least October, if not Q1 2025. So very unlikely for them. The M3 MBP models will likely not be updated until October as well. The M3 iMac may go all the way to Q2 2025.

    The remaining are the Mac mini, Mac Studio and Mac Pro. It will be interesting if the monolithic M4 Ultra SoC is true. Mac Studios and Mac Pros with an M4 Ultra will be great machines, especially if they fixed GPU scaling.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 20
     It gonna lie, I suspect that we will get M4 Max and Ultra Mac Studio and Mac Pro. That will allow them to ship it in lower volume than if it launched in the MacBook Pros, and then they can release the M4 series chips in the MacBook Pros when they’re shipping with enough volume to meet demand. 
    aderutterdanoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 20
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 618member
    Yeah I’m hoping for Mac Mini & Mac Studio - certainly not buying M2 versions… 
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 20
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,432member
    tht said:
    blastdoor said:
    Solid silicon update. 

    Anyone want to bet that we will see some refreshed Macs@WWDC with the M4? Since they are making a massive AI play it would make sense to get the M4 into both the IPadOS and macOS camps stat.

    My old Mac with M1Max may need a refresh..
    Before apple surprised everyone with an m4 iPad I was guessing there would be no new Mac hardware at WWDC. But now I’m not sure what to think. I could imagine everything from no updates to the entire lineup being updated all at once. 
    The MBA models were updated to M3 like 2 months ago. That will be going until at least October, if not Q1 2025. So very unlikely for them. The M3 MBP models will likely not be updated until October as well. The M3 iMac may go all the way to Q2 2025.

    The remaining are the Mac mini, Mac Studio and Mac Pro. It will be interesting if the monolithic M4 Ultra SoC is true. Mac Studios and Mac Pros with an M4 Ultra will be great machines, especially if they fixed GPU scaling.
    That all makes a lot of sense. I agree that updating the MBA so quickly would be very unusual. 

    But…. there are two things that make me wonder if it might happen. First, Apple and TSMC might want to get off of N3B asap. Second, Apple might want to bring the hammer down on Qualcomm’s Nuvia chip. 
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 20
    thttht Posts: 5,550member
    blastdoor said:
    tht said:
    blastdoor said:
    Solid silicon update. 

    Anyone want to bet that we will see some refreshed Macs@WWDC with the M4? Since they are making a massive AI play it would make sense to get the M4 into both the IPadOS and macOS camps stat.

    My old Mac with M1Max may need a refresh..
    Before apple surprised everyone with an m4 iPad I was guessing there would be no new Mac hardware at WWDC. But now I’m not sure what to think. I could imagine everything from no updates to the entire lineup being updated all at once. 
    The MBA models were updated to M3 like 2 months ago. That will be going until at least October, if not Q1 2025. So very unlikely for them. The M3 MBP models will likely not be updated until October as well. The M3 iMac may go all the way to Q2 2025.

    The remaining are the Mac mini, Mac Studio and Mac Pro. It will be interesting if the monolithic M4 Ultra SoC is true. Mac Studios and Mac Pros with an M4 Ultra will be great machines, especially if they fixed GPU scaling.
    That all makes a lot of sense. I agree that updating the MBA so quickly would be very unusual. 

    But…. there are two things that make me wonder if it might happen. First, Apple and TSMC might want to get off of N3B asap. Second, Apple might want to bring the hammer down on Qualcomm’s Nuvia chip. 
    That's what a lot of Internet punditry says, yes. However, the turnover in product cycles just isn't going to go that fast, and their is going to be a long tail on N3B SoCs. Like, the M3 iMac may well be a 2 year product cycle. A Mac Studio could have both M3 Max and M4 Ultra SoC options. The M3 MBA may become the $1000 model while the M3 MBA models take the higher price tiers. Etc.

    The M4 essentially kills any M3 Pro SoCs and lower. I'll have to ruminate on how the new lineup would work.

    I don't think Apple is worrying about Qualcomm. The M3 model effectively neutered any advantages the Snapdragon X Elite models have, and there are going to be a lot of compatibility issues for Qualcomm and MS to deal with before Windows ARM machines can really penetrate the market.

    If I were Apple, what I would be looking for is when Microsoft decides to actually support ARM. If the support is really good, with cheap licensing, there are going to be some really cheap Windows PCs coming to market. Chromebook cheap, and could be performant enough to change the market. If you can get a $300 Windows machine that is as performant as a $1000 x86 machine? That spells trouble for a lot of OEMs.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 20
    tht said:

    The remaining are the Mac mini, Mac Studio and Mac Pro. It will be interesting if the monolithic M4 Ultra SoC is true. Mac Studios and Mac Pros with an M4 Ultra will be great machines, especially if they fixed GPU scaling.

    I am hoping that at WWDC Apple blows up the world again and makes a new “D1” chip for the Studio that flips the cores to run more production cores and less efficiency cores.  I would love to have a slightly less efficient desktop with the extra production cores would bring.  

    This would allow Apple over the years to be able to bump up the clock speed with the “D” version of the M-series to allow for a more robust desktop experience, that professionals ask for. 
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 20
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,295member
    aderutter said:
    Yeah I’m hoping for Mac Mini & Mac Studio - certainly not buying M2 versions… 

    I await when the day when Apple returns to the "Available Today" for the entire Consumer and Pro lineups. Won't happen, since marketing drives the ship nowadays, and spreading these releases throughout the year has its advantages, but would be nice.
    williamlondonAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 20
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,213member
    Relatively few people are going to upgrade from an M2 iPad Pro. M1 benchmarks should be shown alongside M2 and M4 (and M3 while yer at it).
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 20
    thttht Posts: 5,550member
    tht said:

    The remaining are the Mac mini, Mac Studio and Mac Pro. It will be interesting if the monolithic M4 Ultra SoC is true. Mac Studios and Mac Pros with an M4 Ultra will be great machines, especially if they fixed GPU scaling.

    I am hoping that at WWDC Apple blows up the world again and makes a new “D1” chip for the Studio that flips the cores to run more production cores and less efficiency cores.  I would love to have a slightly less efficient desktop with the extra production cores would bring.  

    This would allow Apple over the years to be able to bump up the clock speed with the “D” version of the M-series to allow for a more robust desktop experience, that professionals ask for. 
    What workflow do you have?

    Apple's current strategy are monolithic cores that are targeted to a content creation markets. So, they are striking a balance between CPU, GPU, NPU and dedicated ASIC performance. It's not optimized for a particular workflow, well, other than video. Even if they did a tiling architecture, there will be large costs to having a dedicated SoC for ML, or just CPUs or a lot more GPU cores.

    So, it comes down to what workflows are they targeting? I do think that the days of systems with lots of CPU cores are over. They should be making the GPU cores more and more capable to do a lot of the workflows on CPUs. So, this is the only way really for Apple to maintain its SoC design strategy while addressing more workflows. 
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 20
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,043member
    cpsro said:
    Relatively few people are going to upgrade from an M2 iPad Pro. M1 benchmarks should be shown alongside M2 and M4 (and M3 while yer at it).
    They're doing it because they can. Like when they update the MacBook Pro every year. Few people will upgrade but if it costs Apple nothing more than just running business as usual (or very little more) then why not pass it on to the customer? Also, people would always complain when Apple didn't update their chips, and now they are complaining that they do every year. Apple seriously can't win.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Alex1NAlex1N Posts: 144member
    aderutter said:
    Yeah I’m hoping for Mac Mini & Mac Studio - certainly not buying M2 versions… 
    Same here
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Based on how they’ve handed out the M4 to iPad Pro, I’d wager on a two year M4/AI release cycle with 2024 seeing Pro models getting M4 chips and enhanced AI features in the respective OS’s, followed by consumer models in 2025. Perhaps 2025 will kick off with a gen 2 Apple Vision Pro M4 alongside a slightly more affordable non pro Apple Vision. Would coincide with AVP’s belated international release and Apple’s forthcoming AI improvements… iPhone Pro 16 could also be part of push to see AI advances on pro models first…
    edited May 13 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 20
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,108member

    Apple getting these iPads out before the start of the 2024 back to school buying season is very important hopefully they will follow up by releasing the rest of the Mac lineup before the back to school (end of August/mid September buying season this year to maximize the available sales period.


    edited May 14 watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 20
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,299member
    Like someone said in a review of the new iPad: using the iPad is like driving a Ferrari on a golf course.
    edited May 14 williamlondon
  • Reply 17 of 20
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,299member
    danox said:

    Apple getting these iPads out before the start of the 2024 back to school buying season is very important hopefully they will follow up by releasing the rest of the Mac lineup before the back to school (end of August/mid September buying season this year to maximize the available sales period.

    Perhaps the normal iPads - the Pro models are usually purchased by students due the high cost.

    williamlondon
  • Reply 18 of 20
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,551member
    Is anyone here surprised that the M4 “smokes” the M2? Wouldn’t it be more newsworthy if it was slower?
    williamlondondiz_geek
  • Reply 19 of 20
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,108member
    cpsro said:
    Relatively few people are going to upgrade from an M2 iPad Pro. M1 benchmarks should be shown alongside M2 and M4 (and M3 while yer at it).
    My iPad Pro Apple device already went to a younger family member and many others will do the same and upgrade. Once the new iPad Pro gets out into the wild Apple won't have any problem selling the iPad the release time is perfect for the back to school season coming up and it allows customers/parents time to plan..
    edited May 14 watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 20
    keithwkeithw Posts: 145member
    If you need any proof of how far things have come since the 2017 iMac Pro, check out this Geekbench side-by-side comparison:



Sign In or Register to comment.