OpenAI is releasing a ChatGPT app for Mac first, well ahead of Windows

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,863member
    danox said:
    dinoone said:
    I bet this new OpenAI app will be set to require the latest Apple silicon iterations, despite not being an Edge AI deployment. A clever push for widespread Mac and iPhone hardware upgrade. That could be the real deal behind the Apple-OpenAI agreement ;)

The real deal was Apple is behind the other tech companies according to the tech/financial media but turns out they are not. Apparently Apple can deploy across a wide range of Apple devices that were made from 2020 on. Nice to have Apple Silicon and LiDAR built in to deploy AI (ML learning) accessibility features to the public.....
    The 'real deal' remains the same. Apple is behind and has been for a while. What might or might not be coming at some (as yet unknown point in the future) is irrelevant.

WWDC will lay out the true roadmap. 
  • Reply 22 of 24
    The app is pretty useful and what I wish Siri was. Hopefully Siri LLM edition will also embed into macOS like Gemini does into Google Workplace and Android Astra assistant that is coming. Apple has a great opportunity to really bring fantastic outcomes to the table.

Running Llama3 8B on an M1Max 32GB feels as fast as GPT4, 70B is sluggish which is natural given its relative size. On device LLM has a strong future with Apple and Meta as champions and Google with their smaller Gemini models. 

Apple has always been about ease of use and UX. One thing that currently is prohibitively hard for the average user is to fine tune models on their own data and here I sense Apple can really break the mold. Holding out hope for WWDC.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,385member
    danox said:
    dinoone said:
    I bet this new OpenAI app will be set to require the latest Apple silicon iterations, despite not being an Edge AI deployment. A clever push for widespread Mac and iPhone hardware upgrade. That could be the real deal behind the Apple-OpenAI agreement ;)

The real deal was Apple is behind the other tech companies according to the tech/financial media but turns out they are not. Apparently Apple can deploy across a wide range of Apple devices that were made from 2020 on. Nice to have Apple Silicon and LiDAR built in to deploy AI (ML learning) accessibility features to the public.....
    Lidar? Essential to AI? Uh, no. Good for marketing speak? Yup, with that I'd agree. 

As for every iPhone since 2020 being ready to run these new Apple AI services on device, on the edge or not, that's almost certainly another no. Apple will be saying the older silicon cannot run the new services, not powerful enough. Or the marketing department is speaking for them. Either way, if you expect older iPhones to be running all the Apple AI services coming this fall, I believe you'll be disappointed.

I am of the opinion the OP is correct for the most part. 
    edited May 31 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 24
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,385member
    danox said:
    dinoone said:

LiDAR didn't save the iPhone 11 after all.  
    muthuk_vanalingam