Apple plans a thinner and more expensive iPhone 17 for 2025

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 18

After the release of Apple's thinnest-ever iPad, A thinner iPhone is next, and may be even costlier than the iPhone 17 Pro Max.

iPhone 15 Pro colorful lineup
The 2025 iPhone 17 lineup could feature a thinner model code named D23

The new iPad Pro is officially Apple's thinnest product ever, apart from the cleaning cloth, but now the company is reported turning its attention to reducing the depth of the iPhone. Rather than the oft-rumored thinner bezels, this claim is specifically about making the heft of the iPhone, the chassis, noticeably thinner.

According to The Information, sources have said that the thin iPhone could be released in 2025 as an addition to the iPhone 17 range. Reportedly codenamed D23 internally, it's said to be possibly as significant a redesign as the iPhone X was in 2017.

Where that introduced Face ID, an OLED screen, and a glass back, D23 is expected to chiefly sport a thinner chassis -- and a smaller cutout in the display. Apple has previously been rumored to replace the Dynamic Island with a pinhole cutout, perhaps in the iPhone 16 range.

Other changes could be that the rear camera would move from the familiar upper left corner to the top center. The screen may come somewhere between the 6.12-inches of the iPhone and the 6.69-inches of the iPhone 16 Pro Max.

There is no information about how thin the new iPhone could be, but of the current lineup, the thinnest iPhone is currently the iPhone SE (3rd generation) at 0.29 inches. The iPhone 15, for comparison, is 0.31 inches.

If the thin D23 is added to the iPhone 17 range, it's also reported that this will not mean Apple expanding to five models. Instead, the iPhone 16 Plus may be dropped.

Other recent rumors have said that the iPhone 16 Plus will not be dropped, but will continue to have a 6.7-inch screen while the iPhone 16 Pro display will grow to 6.3-inches. The same rumor said that the iPhone 16 Pro Max screen will increase to 6.9 inches.

Rumor Score: Possible

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10

The same rumor said that the iPhone 16 Pro Max screen will increase to 6.9 inches. 

Noice

williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    twolf2919twolf2919 Posts: 131member
    Thinner is obviously better than thicker, all other things being equal.  But will it be enough to encourage more iPhone sales, overall?  I doubt it.  It'll shift some people from buying an iPhone Pro Max to buying this.

What I'd like to see is an Apple spin on the folding phones  we've been seeing over the past couple years.  I imagine Apple hasn't done it so far because literally folding a single display just involves too many compromises in terms of longevity, quality, etc.  I certainly would not buy a phone that has a ridge and/or distortion in the middle of the screen.  But I would buy a smartphone with two displays where the hinge is made so clever that there's hardly any separation between the two screens.  More importantly, a phone that acts just like a current iPhone when it's still folded.  A phone that, when folded, is still not much thicker than a current iPhone.  I'd be willing to pay double what a current iPhone costs, because it'll give me the flexibility of using my phone like an iPad without an extra device.

The current iPad Pros are, what, 5mm thick?  So I think a 9-10mm folding iPhone is definitely doable - and only a couple mm thicker than current iPhones.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    40domi40domi Posts: 138member
    I don't buy this iPhone slim rumour 🤣
    There may be an Ultra, but all that will do is cannibalise the sales of the Pro Max.
    Apple could do a lot worse than bring back the mini as a pro devise and a good battery like in the 11 Pro, they can even compromise on the camera's as long as the materials and battery are pro levels 5.8" would be a perfect size!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    DscheyHDscheyH Posts: 13member
    ‪The question is if a thinner phone really complies a better haptic and ergonomic user experience. There  is a limit of thinness that is comfortable to hold in a hand. I remember the thin #iPhone 6 that felt almost difficult to hold… ‬

Btw, if I am correct, the iPhone 6 was the thinnest iPhone since with 0.272 inches, not the SE. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Fred257Fred257 Posts: 246member
    I’m on an iPhone 12 mini still. Will definitely be waiting to buy this one. Looks like design is finally getting better on these devices 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 10
    I don't think it counts if the camera bump still sticks out beyond the back of the phone. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,903member
    This supposedly "thin" phone, will the camera lenses still jut out like a barnacle?  If so, then meh.  My car has a wireless charging pad for a cell phone but the protruding lens island doesn't allow the iPhone to lie fully flat on the pad hence charging is slow and even the smallest bump on the road shifts the phone just enough to lose charging contact.
    edited May 18 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I cry every night knowing that my phone is too thick.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    XraySRLXraySRL Posts: 1member
     I would pay more for a premium slim phone, as described here, over my current iPhone 15 Pro Max.  That would be a positive for Apple also, of course.  Sign me up.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    rikipediarikipedia Posts: 25member
    Apple is only "experimenting" with thinner iPhones because they have to work out the design before they move over to folding phones. Otherwise, we'd end up with a phone the size of an iPhone Pro Max, BUT  THICKER - oh boy! It would be the 1st phone that has truly earned the nickname "the brick."

williamlondonwatto_cobra