Don't get too excited about new iPhone trade-in bonuses from Apple

Posted:
in iPhone

Apple apparently must not want to clear out stocks before the iPhone 16 launches too badly, as the trade-in bonuses it has started offering can be beaten easily by the carriers.

IPhone 13 Pro
The new iPhone 13 Pro

As rumored, Apple did in fact increase trade-in values on older iPhones on Monday. Contrary to that report, though, you can apply the trade-in credit to any available iPhone, and not just the iPhone 15.

The bonuses are very low for the most part. The maximum increase is a $30 increase on the iPhone 13 mini to $300.

• iPhone 14 Pro Max - $650, up $20

• iPhone 14 Pro - $530, up $10

• iPhone 14 Plus - $430, up $10

• iPhone 14 - $380, up $10

• iPhone 13 Pro Max - $460, up $10

• iPhone 13 Pro - $380. Up $10

• iPhone 13 - $320, up $20

• iPhone 13 mini - $300, up $30

• Third-generation iPhone SE - $170, up $10

A spot-check on carriers on Monday morning makes it pretty clear that they'd like your older phone much more than Apple does, but with slightly different terms. As a general rule, the carriers offer much more, but those trade-in deals are for bill credits over the life of the phone, rather than an up-front payment.

Ebay pricing is variable, with the iPhone 13 mini being a good exemplar, selling for about $325. However, after Ebay takes its fees, you end up getting about the same for the device than Apple is giving for trade in, and that's similar across the board.

The promotion continues through June 3.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 524member
    Exactly this.  When iPhone 16 releases, AT&T will happily give me $1000 towards a new 16 Pro Max (or even $1000 now towards a 15 PM).

Some people aren't fans of bill credits (they get new phones every year I guess), but phones only work with carrier service, so if I have to pay AT&T anyways, might as well have them give me $1000 towards a new phone!
  • Reply 2 of 4
    charlesncharlesn Posts: 953member
    It could also be that Apple has managed inventory well across the iPhone 15 models, so it doesn't need to offer generous trade-ins to clear out remaining inventory before the 16 launches. 
  • Reply 3 of 4
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,965member
    I’ve sold my iPhones on Ebay, and traded them in. I can say after my recent Ebay experiences of high fees it isn’t worth the slightly more dollars for the added work of maintaining the accessories and having to box and ship it. The Apple trade in is simpler and close enough to what I clear from Ebay. 
    dewmekdupuis77
  • Reply 4 of 4
    hammeroftruthhammeroftruth Posts: 1,338member
    You can also use that extra trade in money for, watch, iPad, or Mac, or anything else you can buy at the store.